Thinking About Costa

beachprincess23

My fiance and I are thinking about Costa for our honeymoon. We are from the US and only have been on Carnival, so we are a bit nervous that we won't understand anyone/they won't be able to understand us? We are also semi-picky eaters and are a little scared we won't like any of the food onboard. We love the itineraries and the price is right on everything. Any thoughts/advice?

1) There is no problem with understanding people on board, I have sailed twice with Costa and never had a problem.

2) A lot of people do not like the food on Costa, I love it. Keep in mind they cater to European tastes so some people from N. America have issues with the food. Also keep in mind that in Europe slow service IS good service, Europeans in general spend much more time at dinner then N. Americans.

I like Costa and am booking a third cruise this week.

We've been on 3 Costa cruises and find that experiences can vary a lot. On the Concordia last fall I got what was likely food poisoning! But we have since cruised without incident on the Victoria in the Persian/Arabian Gulf. We have enjoyed the food on Costa, though it is not as spectacular as on some other lines. We choose Costa for the itineraries--in June we will be on a Southeast Asia cruise--and the price! The bigger ships would probably be more fun for you.

I actually have a plate with dividers so the foods do not touch...ok...I don't really use it and my wife got it for me as a joke but its not far off...food on costa is for european tastes..but you can always get a steak..and the pasta is good just different.....its like real pizza in Italy..thin and hardly any toppings ...still tastes good just different...go for the ports and a memorable honeymoon

I totally agree with the above post...

Have you done much land travel in Europe?

If you have.... you will be able to adapt to the shoulder shrugs, the lack of desire to help or fix your concern, the pizza that is authentic..not Americanized.

pasta is al dente..

smoking is a favorite past time, talking loudly, the lack of forming a q, and staking claim to a table FOREVER....

are all part of the behavior of many Europeans..

Slow service is considered respectful TO YOU, because meals are to be savored and part of the socializing time in Europe, if you need it pronto

or porto via (to go) you need to let your server know in the beginning

This is the mantra we live by....

If we wanted it to be like home, that's where our passports should remain!

Reset your barometer and realize that it's about the port destination and your spouse...everything else can be ignored or adjusted to..

Also, learn some words in Italian it will be appreciated by most and for some others you will provide them materially to mock you with in Italian to their friends...

one way or another you'll get a smile from them.

BTW, congratulations op! we just celebrated our 3rd anniversary!

I totally agree with the above post...

Have you done much land travel in Europe?

If you have.... you will be able to adapt to the shoulder shrugs, the lack of desire to help or fix your concern, the pizza that is authentic..not Americanized.

pasta is al dente..

smoking is a favorite past time, talking loudly, the lack of forming a q, and staking claim to a table FOREVER....

are all part of the behavior of many Europeans..

Slow service is considered respectful TO YOU, because meals are to be savored and part of the socializing time in Europe, if you need it pronto

or porto via (to go) you need to let your server know in the beginning

This is the mantra we live by....

If we wanted it to be like home, that's where our passports should remain!

Reset your barometer and realize that it's about the port destination and your spouse...everything else can be ignored or adjusted to..

Also, learn some words in Italian it will be appreciated by most and for some others you will provide them materially to mock you with in Italian to their friends...

one way or another you'll get a smile from them.

BTW, congratulations op! we just celebrated our 3rd anniversary!

Thank you!!! We have done ZERO travel in Europe so we are really excited. The ship & itinerary we chose has zero days at sea so even if we hate the cruise we will barely be on it. But, I have a feeling we won't hate it. Although picky eaters, we really enjoy other cultures and learning about them. If a meal is served slowly it really isn't that big of a deal to us. The smoking is the only other concern since FI is allergic to it, but hopefully it won't be too bad. We definitely plan to learn a few words in other languages, however based on my college foreign language classes I SUCKED! haha! We are looking to spend a week in southern Spain post-cruise, so it will definitely be an adventure/experience!!!

Thanks for all the advice!

You;re Welcome!

We just returned from a 24 day land trip to Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria.

We live in California which thankfully was at the forefront of the strictest smoking laws.

Dealing with the cigarette smoke really is tough for us, though we arent allergic..just hate it..

but this is where our travel mantra is repeated at times :):):):):):)

A couple of things we do to combat our smoke smelling clothes

Target sells in their travel section a clothes freshener, also check the laundry aisle...each night we would mist our clothes.

Also, I pack dryer sheets and put them between our clothes in our suitcase.

i would pack eye drops as part of your 1st aid kit.

i have a lot of travel tips on our personal travel website..that might help you....just go to the link below and then roam around the journal section. It;s designed like a hand written journal i shared with you if we met for coffee..no advertising, cookies etc etc

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to look at Princess Cruise Lines as I have sailed on this line years ago for my honeymoon and we have sailed on this line with my childern recently and each time we cruise with Princess we have a great time and it is one of the more formal lines but very relaxed. I did not enjoy crusing on Costa. I did not find the staff friendly and I never complain on vacation as I like to relax and spend time with my family but overall this was not a nice cruise. I have also sailed on NCL several times and my family and I are sailing on them again in a few weeks and I believe they are having a sale in a few days and they have great destinations and their balacony staterooms are very nice.NCL is not as formal as Princess but we had a nice time just as well and on Princess the pools are open all night and on the ship we were on the pool deck had a glass closing over the deck at night and it was great and the food and service were excellent and we always had a balacony stateroom and it is great. Also on Princess they have an adult pool and a childerns pool area which is nice. The other thing I liked about Princess was the evening shows as they were great.

I actually have a plate with dividers so the foods do not touch...ok...I don't really use it and my wife got it for me as a joke but its not far off...food on costa is for european tastes..but you can always get a steak..and the pasta is good just different.....its like real pizza in Italy..thin and hardly any toppings ...still tastes good just different...go for the ports and a memorable honeymoon

Ok I have read this statement before on the MSC board. What does "food on costa is for european tastes " mean. I don't understand. If I am going to Europe that is part of th culture why won't I want different food. Thanks

..monty python did it best ...holiday tour where a bus of brits go to Spain but want fish and chips and watneys red barrell beer...some people are used to what they are used to and don't want to try new things...I am old and like what I like so I am one of that group....so Costa food is good...its just not what most Americans are used to...but if you are ready for it to be a bit different you should enjoy it.....

..monty python did it best ...holiday tour where a bus of brits go to Spain but want fish and chips and watneys red barrell beer...some people are used to what they are used to and don't want to try new things...I am old and like what I like so I am one of that group....so Costa food is good...its just not what most Americans are used to...but if you are ready for it to be a bit different you should enjoy it.....

You are just funny, thanks for the thoughts!!

I agree totally!!! I love the Monty Python quote it is so true...:D

We have always enjoyed Costa, with 4 previous Costa cruises under my belt, we are doing another one this November.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am a picky eater. On Costa, pasta is a separate course - you can order it as your main meal and my waiter told me that spaghetti with meat sauce was always available even if not on the menu. I ordered the spaghetti as the pasta course and tried something from the main course as well and was always full. Some of the main dishes were strange but the spaghetti with meat sauce was awesome! Just booked for Valentine's Day 2010 and am looking forward to trying new foods! Plus enjoyed the international cheese plate along with dessert - a nice treat!

We have always found the staff on Costa exceptional. ;) The waiters made dinner fun and the room stewards were always on hand for whatever we needed. On NCL never could find ours to get more ice :(

I've done 14 nights aboard Costa Allegra, got another 41 nights aboard Allegra next year and looking at either 30 nights aboard Costa Victoria or 46 nights aboard Magica in 2011 (provided they repeat the 2010 South American repositioning cruises and subsequent cruises in 2011), but whatever happens, I am sticking with Costa here on in because they deliver the cruise that I enjoy the most at the solo cruise fare I feel offers the best value for money....and the Italian gelato & pasta dishes (along with the battered plaice fillet in sweet chilli sauce) is absolutely heavenly :)

1) There is no problem with understanding people on board, I have sailed twice with Costa and never had a problem.

2) A lot of people do not like the food on Costa, I love it. Keep in mind they cater to European tastes so some people from N. America have issues with the food. Also keep in mind that in Europe slow service IS good service, Europeans in general spend much more time at dinner then N. Americans.

I like Costa and am booking a third cruise this week.

Hi SirBeavis

My husband and two young children are travelling on Costa Mediterrana in September this year, we have never sailed Costa before.

Do you have any tips???

Do you think they would do something special for my little girl who will celebrate her 3rd birthday on board and my husband & I will celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary.

Any tips would be great.

Cheers

Donna

Hi SirBeavis

My husband and two young children are travelling on Costa Mediterrana in September this year, we have never sailed Costa before.

Do you have any tips???

Do you think they would do something special for my little girl who will celebrate her 3rd birthday on board and my husband & I will celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary.

Any tips would be great.

Cheers

Donna

My son celebrated his 7th birthday onboard the Costa Fortuna in 2007. We notified the waiter and they brought him a cake and came and sang to him it was very nice.

Archived