costa marina?

beachprincess23

This is a small old and friendly ship there are not a lot a facilities but if you ask yourself do you use them and the answer is no then you will b fine

We sailed from Singapore to Italy on this ship it was one of our best cruises even better than 6 weeks on QM2 but that was us and you are you

If you decide to book it I would book the most expensive cabin you can afford and not an inside one as they are small also avoid the deck leading from the pursers it is a main thoroughfare an can be noisy if you retire early

I would book this ship again but the itinerary would have to be great

• 5 months later...

Mcdermott, I hate reviving an old post but I'm trying to get more information on the Costa Marina. There are no member reviews and the CC description is sadly out of date. Can you help?

I'm booked on an Atlantic Island/Morocco cruise the first two weeks of March 2010. I'm very happy to be on a small ship after my recent cruises on the 3000+ passenger Serena and Concordia. However on a ship as small as Marina we may be in for a very bumpy ride once we pass Gibraltar into the Atlantic. You had a long cruise on her, what was your experience in this regard?

I booked outside Cabin 458 which is midship starboard side on deck 4 which is the one the pursers and excursion offices are on. Can you expand on the noise levels? I chose it because there are only cabins above and below, no bar, lido, etc.

How was the dining experience? Not the food - that's subjective, but the restaurant atmosphere, space, wait staff, etc.

Can you comment on the spa area, gym, massages, etc?

Thanks, I'd appreciate hearing your insight.

2/2010 - Costa Marina - Atlantic Islands (France-Spain-Morocco-Canary Is.-Madera)

8/2009 - Costa Serena - East Med (Greece/Turkey/Croatia/Italy)

4/2009 - Costa Concordia - East Med (Greece/Turkey/Cyprus/Egypt/Italy)

1/2009 - Oberoi Philae - Nile River Cruise (Luxor-Aswan)

12/2007 - Costa Europa - Savona-Dubai Repositioning (Egypt/Suez/Jordan/Yemen/Oman)

5/2007 - MSC Opera - Norwegian Fiords (Germany/Norway/Denmark)

6/1994 - MSC Monterey - East Med (Egypt/Israel/Turkey/Greece/Italy)

I have just booked on the Costa Marina Cruise on the 17th January visiting Barcelona, Morocco, Canaries, Madeira, Marseille. Wasn't sure what to do as browsing around reviews aren't all very good about it, but fancied trying to find some sunshine but didn't want to pay a lot for it so thought I would take a chance. Not been on Costa before. Also, it is a very good itinerary and we haven't visited some of the places before and others worth going to again. Has anyone been on a similar cruise and could let me know a bit about the ports. Are you within reasonable walking distance of the main town to save having to take a shuttle as we don't mind walking a mile or two?

Vivienne, that's the problem. There are no reviews of the Marina on the CC Costa cruise review page. That's why Mcdermott could be helpful. Regarding the itinerary, which I agree is excellent, if you search "canary islands" there are quite a few posts which are helpful. For Madera there is a local lady that has provided a wealth of info for Funchal on the "other mediterranean ports" forum. If you go to the CC home page under destinations, you can search for these places. Then, go to the Costa website and checkout all the excursions offered for this cruise. Some are worth taking while others you can do on your own.

Thanks. I will have a look. There are some reviews on other websites if you google for reviews of Costa Marina. One problem seems to be listening to all the different languages which perhaps you don't get on some cruises and food not being very good. However, I am sure we will be able to find something we like to eat, and if you read reviews of hotels it is difficult to understand how you can be reading about the same one as people's opinions vary so much. We will enjoy ourselves!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have just booked on the Costa Marina Cruise on the 17th January visiting Barcelona, Morocco, Canaries, Madeira, Marseille. Wasn't sure what to do as browsing around reviews aren't all very good about it, but fancied trying to find some sunshine but didn't want to pay a lot for it so thought I would take a chance. Not been on Costa before. Also, it is a very good itinerary and we haven't visited some of the places before and others worth going to again. Has anyone been on a similar cruise and could let me know a bit about the ports. Are you within reasonable walking distance of the main town to save having to take a shuttle as we don't mind walking a mile or two?

I 've been on such a cruise but with the costa europa. The marina is a nice ship, small size, but very well equipped and with friendly crew. No fancy attributes like on the bigger costa ships (no water slide, no kitschy style architecture of the interior, no kids pool, etc)

Barcelona is the nicest city in the med, but sometimes the ship docks far away from the city center and then you must take a shuttle, it is unpredictable and depends on the number of ships in port ! Close to the terminal you can walk straight into the city, otherwise it is a shuttle!

Marseille is also nice, but the docks are too far away from the "old harbour" to do it by walking (i worked for 6 months in a P&G plant).

Morocco, and i mean then Casablanca, is with a shuttle because it is not allowed to walk in the port, hence use a shuttle.

The other stop is Agadir and that is a waste of time and money, there is nothing worth seeing there. They take you to Fantasia where they fire a few riffles on camel back! Bah!

You were not very specific with your question because the canaries consist of 5 (five) islands. which one do you mean? Canaries is nice for tourists, but best reachable by shuttle.

So i suppose you mean Lanzarote (Arrecife) and Tenerife (santa cruz), both are worthwhile to see but with a shuttle for arrecife and by walking for santa cruz.

Madeira does not need a shuttle, because the ship docks smack in front of the city of Funchal, albeit on the seaside of the jetee! so you can do it with your feet. Funchal is a very nice city and the rest of the island is the same. It is not spoiled by tourists yet, although there are lots of hotels.:)

Have a nice cruise

Janneke, thanks for posting. Both Vivienne and I have booked Morocco-Canaries cruises on the Costa Marina. She is going on 17 Jan. and I on 28 Feb. We were both trying to get some more info regarding the ship but we're attracted to the cruise because of its itinerary - 14 full days. We'll be stopping at Barcelona, Casablanca, Agadir, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, La Palma, and Tenerife in the Canaries, then Madeira, and back into the Med stopping at Malaga and Marseille before returning to Savona. Unfortunately they aren't making cruise ships anymore like the Marina and the Europa. I agree with you about the kitschy decorated mega-ships that they've been producing lately. I've been to both Casablanca and Agadir before and tend to agree with you. The ship's excursions would be best, especially at Casablanca.

Thanks for the information Janneke. Hope this doesn't go on twice as I tried to send it but it didn't appear to go through and I have checked but it isn't showing so will try again.

Oh dear- wishing I hadn't booked the cruise now on Costa Marina on the 17th January as there is so much airport disruption at the moment with more snow forecast next week. We have to change at Amsterdam and have an hour to catch the flight to Milan for onward journey to Savona. At least if you are in a hotel it will still be there if you are delayed but the ship won't! Rather worried that we might be the only English speaking people on board as I have asked Costa and they say they aren't able to let me know, but I am sure they must know how many have booked from the UK. Lots of people from abroad may, of course, speak English but perhaps we should have a crash course in Italian.

I will do a report when I get back - fingers crossed it will turn out to be a good one but I am panicking it won't be as a lot of reviews for Costa Ships aren't very good. I am sure we will find something we like to eat, but I do like some entertainment arranged during the day, especially when at sea and it sounds like there isn't a lot happening with Costa, or if there is they are all arranged at the same time and then nothing for a few hours according to one review. Also, I don't think the evening entertainment is going to be as enjoyable as on the other ships I have been on. We will have to make the most of the places we are visiting as the itinerary and the date being convenient for us are the reasons I booked the cruise. Can anyone help on what is likely to be arranged during the day and in the evening? Will there be entertainment in the bars as well as a show?

I will enjoy myself - I will enjoy myself - I will enjoy myself!! I feel better now.

Thanks for the information Janneke. Hope this doesn't go on twice as I tried to send it but it didn't appear to go through and I have checked but it isn't showing so will try again.

Oh dear- wishing I hadn't booked the cruise now on Costa Marina on the 17th January as there is so much airport disruption at the moment with more snow forecast next week. We have to change at Amsterdam and have an hour to catch the flight to Milan for onward journey to Savona. At least if you are in a hotel it will still be there if you are delayed but the ship won't! Rather worried that we might be the only English speaking people on board as I have asked Costa and they say they aren't able to let me know, but I am sure they must know how many have booked from the UK. Lots of people from abroad may, of course, speak English but perhaps we should have a crash course in Italian.

I will do a report when I get back - fingers crossed it will turn out to be a good one but I am panicking it won't be as a lot of reviews for Costa Ships aren't very good. I am sure we will find something we like to eat, but I do like some entertainment arranged during the day, especially when at sea and it sounds like there isn't a lot happening with Costa, or if there is they are all arranged at the same time and then nothing for a few hours according to one review. Also, I don't think the evening entertainment is going to be as enjoyable as on the other ships I have been on. We will have to make the most of the places we are visiting as the itinerary and the date being convenient for us are the reasons I booked the cruise. Can anyone help on what is likely to be arranged during the day and in the evening? Will there be entertainment in the bars as well as a show?

I will enjoy myself - I will enjoy myself - I will enjoy myself!! I feel better now.

Vivienne,

Don't panic (at least not yet - you still have 10 days to go, you could have a heat wave by then).

At dinner you will be seated with English speakers it is also a good idea to attend the Cruise Introduction meeting organized by the ship's Englis Speaking Host(ess).

There are always daily activities going on, these are all listed in the daily TODAY program (which is delivered to your cabin the evening before) detailing the activity, time and place. Suggest you take a yellow marker and mark off the activities that you would be interested in.

Again don't panic you are on holiday / vacation / cruise.

Have a great time.

Ron

Archived