Overboard

ladyjane2

I read a magazine article several months ago about people who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. The main point of the article was that most of these suicides could be prevented by the installation of barriers, but that this had never been done because the barrier would detract from the beauty of the bridge.

The vast majority of jumpers die in the process, but there have been a few survivors. The survivors consistently reported that, as soon as they had jumped, they realized for the first time what they were doing and regretted it. None had ever attempted suicide again.

Several years ago, a client of mine jumped off the Huey P. Long Bridge here in New Orleans. He is one of a handful who have survived this. Other than some broken ribs, he was uninjured. He had been despondent over the breakup of his marriage and loss of contact with his children.

His description of the jump was really eerie. On the way down, he realized that he had made a huge mistake, and resolved that, if he survived, he would start a new life. That's what he did. After he was discharged from the hospital, he moved back to North Carolina and reconciled with his wife. The last I heard from him, he had gone back to school, learned a trade (can't remember what it was) and was a very happy person.

I had a hotel room with a small balcony on the 10th floor in Niagara Falls last month.....you could see the falls perfectly from this balcony...the first time I went out on it, I had that weird urge to jump....it was scary as hell! I KNEW I wouldn't jump, but it was a very odd feeling to even THINK about it. Besides, if I had of jumped....I'd miss my very first cruise on February 13th :eek: Thanks for the people that wrote in saying it is not unusual to have these "odd" urges, and I guess we should all be thankfull that urges are all they are. I have a balcony booked for the Radiance, and I'm looking forward to enjoying the view :)

I have also had this "feeling" on each of our 3 cruises when standing at the side, looking down to the ocean/sea. My DH has had it as well, and I think we're both pretty well-adjusted, level-headed people! Additionally, I've felt that same feeling when I've looked "down" from a tall building, and even when I've just been sitting on the back of a motor/speed boat---felt a sort of compulsion to let myself fall in. Reassured to see others have experienced similar situations. :)

You guys should go over and read the post on the Carnival board. It is like 4 pages long and one nut decided there must be a Carnival crew member changing ships that is a serial killer or something. They felt this because there has been 3 on Carnival ships in the last month. They seem to forget the crew contracts are like 8 months long for a ship and there is a like a 6 week break between contracts so the crew member can be with family. Plus the poor german guy obviosly committed suicide as there were numerous eye witnesses.

I'v wondered myself if there isn't a serial killer. It's an easy way to get rid of a body and evidence.

I, too, almost drowned when I was a child. Although there was that sense of panic at first, the rest was very peaceful. I have always said that it would not be a bad way to go. I was unconscious and laying on the bottom of the pool, and when I was revived, I did not have any ill effects. Actually, it would be a pretty peaceful end.

Mary

Archived