Just off Dawn Nov 28 - Dec 9th

mambopalace

Just got off the Dawn 11 night "Exotic Caribbean". This cruise DID go to Tortola but did NOT go to Grenada. It did make a late afternoon stop in Frederickstead St Croix.

The ship is very nice - it is clean.

This particular cruise was loaded with Russians & Germans. This is not a criticism of any person of these ethnic backgrounds but I will say that the Russians were the most rude, inconsiderate people that I have ever run into, and the German contingency was not far behind. They wasted more food than they ate, pushed ahead in any waiting lines whether it was for food, theater shows, etc. The words "excuse me" do not exist in their vocabulary.

Food on this cruise was "middle of the road" at best. The Venetian dining room wait staff was average or below. The dining room itself is very nicely decorated but noisy as heck.

Buffet foods were overcooked, and pretty much a repeat of the same everyday.

The poolside barbecues were OK.

If you want a poolside chaise or seat, you better get there early once you get to the tropical climates.

You can get a table for 2 very easily.

The La Tratorria specialty Italian restaurant was very good.

The theater shows were typical cruise ship items.

The comedian Dave Heenan was excellent.

One of the engines went out on the way down. This was not a result of the faulty Azipod. A piston broke and was replaced at the next port and we were back up to snuff. Average about 22 knots down and back.

The Azipod issiue came up when we boarded - Everyone got a letter from the Captain stating that Tortola will be omitted. For some, this was the first they heard about it and many were very unhappy.

Then, about 2 days later, The captain announced we will go to Tortola and we will also go to St Croix, but we will not go to Grenada. Grenada is still heavily devastated from the hurrican season and the only ones that would have enjoyed it were those on ship's tour excursions. All were given a full refund for Grenada Tours.

This ship is going into dry dock March 10th - 18th in Nassau Bahamas for repair of the Azipod Bearings.

All in all, I would give this cruise an average grade. It was better than some that I have been on and it was also worse than some.

There's a lot more to tell - ask if you want more info.

would you kindly specifically compare this to other cruises you sailed on...the lines & ships....sort of apples to apples.....

Thank you

NCL Dawn 11 night cruise did not come anywhere close to Princess (Coral Princess) Panama Canal nor did it come close to RCCL Serenade pf the Seas in every aspect. (in my own opinion) The Dawn out of NY was a much lower class than the other 2 lines. Food was only average on the Dawn and the way some people dressed for dinner was deplorable - Freestyle cruising - you either love it or hate it.

I thought the wait staff in all the restaurants were extremely well trained, courteous and efficient. With ten food venues to choose from, it was easy to find something you liked. I thought the musicians on Dawn were the most talented I have ever seen on any cruise ship from Pamala Stanley in Gatsby's to Vladimir in the Star Bar to Anna Y Los Vientos in the atrium and the house band that excelled in Spinakkers and the Stardust theatre. The fitness instructors were first rate. Having a full day in St. Thomas instead of Grenada and having Tortola reinstated was a big plus and I thought the Captain handled the minor problem extremely well. There was so much to enjoy on this ship that I didn't have time to be annoyed by any boorish passengers. Look forward to sailing on Dawn again in February and seeing many familiar and friendly faces again.

I was aware of the German passangers only because of the announcements made in German. I did not know there were Russians aboard, although I met some nice people from Poland. Nobody pushed me any time any where, but then, I pretty much avoid crowds.

Over and over I kept having the same thought - there is something for everyone. Some people were reading in the library, others watching a movie, others never quit pulling the handle on a slot machine or playing bingo, or working out in the gym, sitting in a jacuzzi, sunning themselves, power walking on the deck, looking at artwork ... or eating, virtually any food imageinable.

NCL Dawn 11 night cruise did not come anywhere close to Princess (Coral Princess) Panama Canal nor did it come close to RCCL Serenade pf the Seas in every aspect. (in my own opinion) The Dawn out of NY was a much lower class than the other 2 lines. Food was only average on the Dawn and the way some people dressed for dinner was deplorable - Freestyle cruising - you either love it or hate it.

Hmmm.:rolleyes:

I know everyone experiences things differently and in cases like this the cruises you've previousely sailed on can have a big impact on your present experence. May I ask you if your Princess or RCCl cruise was higher in price? Might that make the difference here? :confused: We do get what we pay for so to speak.

Also, you stated that the way some were dress was deplorable. Can you be more specific? I have heard that NCL does not tolerate "jeans, t-shirts, or shorts" of any sort at dinner. What, might I ask, could the passengers be wearing that is so deplorable on a "freestyle, casual dress cruise"? Were you expecting everyone to be "deck out" and all "dressed up"??? Perhaps casual freestyle is not for you. Did you investigate before you booked this cruise as to what to expect in that area?

Personally I have no desire to be on an 11 day cruise where I have to "dress up" to eat my dinner every single night. At home we plan on things like that and it's a day out of a month or a week that we do that, not 11 days straight...it get's old and not special if it's every day for us. That's what formal nights are for. :rolleyes:

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise. :( I think your in the minority though. Most reviews I've read have wonderful things to say about their cruise on Dawn..that's not to say that some do not have their individual complaints but all and all most I've read had a spectacular time.

Blue Jeans at Dinner, Farmer overalls with T shirt, shorts, tank tops were all tolerated at dinner (at least at the Venetian Dining Room). No, I did not expect everyone to get decked out every night - but some pushed it a little too far. If they ask for resort casual or smart casual, that should be a little better than shorts, tank top & sneakers at dinner.

I didn't say I didn't enjoy the cruise, it was a nice cruise and a beautiful ship.

A very friendly crew from the cruise maintenance worker on up.

Read some of the other quick comments - it is near a 50-50 split as to whether everyone liked the cruise or not.

In comparing this cruise in price with previous Princess & RCCL cruises - they all average near the same in a daily average but the service, and food were much better on the previoius 2.

Our reaction is just about diametrically opposite to Mambo's. We were thinking that compared to the 7 day FL-Nassau run with a heavy concentration on the tristate area, these longer cruises really attract quite a diversity that makes it really quite interesting if you roll with it. We met a guy in the jacuzzi from Denmark and he told us there were 40 from Denmark onboard, 150 Germans. Then there were the Aussies, the Brits, and if anyone attended any of the comedian Dave Heenan's shows, he "poked fun" of just about everybody as there really was quite a mix onboard! If there was any boorish behavior among any of those groups, I'm sure there was an American or two equally guilty!:rolleyes:

But I have to say, we found passengers to be pretty tolerant of one another. They didn't save a lot of seats in the theater or cinema, didn't overcrowd the hot tubs, the kids were pretty well controlled (except some of the older ones on the 11/18), and you didn't hear a lot of yelling, bad language or anything "lower class" as Mambo puts it.

On the dress code front, maybe it's just a matter of focus, but we were thinking that with the 2 optional formal nights, there were an awful lot of tuxes, white dinner jackets, suits, blazers & ties & altogether quite put-together crowd! The lines for formal pix were long and people looked quite elegant. We were told that the dresscode is strictly enforced - was there an infraction? Perhaps, but in 2500 guests the overall ambience was really quite "resort elegant" I would say, especially the 1st formal night.

With the Christmas decorations - which are gorgeous - seemed to come a festive mood for formal nights and even the 2nd formal night, there was quite a lot of dressing up. Those in dress-down seemed to be up on deck 12 in the buffet and such. Yes, when you get to the shows everyone gets mixed up together and some folks have changed out of their formal duds, too, but that's freestyle. All about choice.

I am sorry that you had a 50-50 cruise experience. In my opinion, if a Russian, Eastern German, or Pole want to cut ahead of me to get to what they want, then I say go ahead my friend! Heck, they have been waiting in line for YEARS!!!!

Coka

it was true there were alot of rude passengers on this sailing. i was body blocked about five times in the first two hours on the ship. ( please let me step out of the elevator before you enter) that sort of stuff. but the dawn was outstanding. food was good especially in the premium restaurants like le bistro and cagneys steak house. during the day have lunch at bimini 's bar and grill overlooking the pool, they make chesseburgers to order and hot dogs etc very good. if you like martini.s and a quiet bar go to the star bar on deck 13 gedde the bartender is the best at making martini's on the ship. alot of peoap;e do not find this bar because of its location but it is one of the best on the ship. enjoy.

Archived