Having Second Thoughts About Sapphire Beach

So, I was all excited to have one more island planned out, then I read some reviews by people who have gone to Sapphire Beach within the last few months and said how rundown it has become. I am looking for a nice beach, but also want to snorkel. Now I am contemplating going to Trunk Bay. Has anyone been to Sapphire recently? If so, what is your opinion? Reading more about Trunk Bay, it is said to be one of the most beautiful beaches, but is it worth the time it takes to get back and forth? I would really appreciate any input. TIA

froggy4, U might want to look into Hull Bay. Its located on the north side of St Thomas and from what I was told by a tour operator in St Thomas who I called about 1 1/2 weeks ago, he felt it has good snorkeling, nice beach and not crowded like some of the other beaches. Google it and see what you come up with. When are you going to be at St Thomas and which ship/date r u sailing? I am on the Glory May 23, 2009.....not long now...Rob

froggy4, U might want to look into Hull Bay. Its located on the north side of St Thomas and from what I was told by a tour operator in St Thomas who I called about 1 1/2 weeks ago, he felt it has good snorkeling, nice beach and not crowded like some of the other beaches. Google it and see what you come up with. When are you going to be at St Thomas and which ship/date r u sailing? I am on the Glory May 23, 2009.....not long now...Rob

Thank You Rob for your reply. I will definitely check that out. I will be on the Victory and in St. Thomas on Sept. 21st. My boyfriend and I were just on the Glory in Feb. and had a blast. 6 more days, lucky you! You will have a great time. :)

We were at Saphire Beach in March - wasn't that impressed with it. We didn't snorkle, so I can't comment on that, but it was just ordinary, even the sand didn't seem so "clean". next time, we'll try another beach.

Yes...this is very confusing. The reviews on Sapphire Beach seem to be very mixed...some people say it is absolutely beautiful as in the previous post and some people are stating that it is not being kept up any longer. Now...I can handle bathrooms that are not that great if the beach is a beauty. I know Trunk Bay is the place to go, but we were trying to avoid the commute time....

I am going there next week and will let you know what I think. Like you I picked this beach orgianally becasue of all the great comments but lately the comments havent been as favorable so I was having second thoughts. I decided to try it anyway. I will let you know if I was sorry that I did. I am going with an open mind......so we will see. :)

I am going there next week and will let you know what I think. Like you I picked this beach orgianally becasue of all the great comments but lately the comments havent been as favorable so I was having second thoughts. I decided to try it anyway. I will let you know if I was sorry that I did. I am going with an open mind......so we will see. :)

Please do Candeegirl, it will help me out alot. Hope you have a great cruise and please post some pics of Sapphire if you can. :)

• Administrators
So, I was all excited to have one more island planned out, then I read some reviews by people who have gone to Sapphire Beach within the last few months and said how rundown it has become. I am looking for a nice beach, but also want to snorkel. Now I am contemplating going to Trunk Bay. Has anyone been to Sapphire recently? If so, what is your opinion? Reading more about Trunk Bay, it is said to be one of the most beautiful beaches, but is it worth the time it takes to get back and forth? I would really appreciate any input. TIA

Wow, I'm surprised at some of the posts on this thread! We were at Sapphire Beach last month and didn't think it was "dirty," or run down, etc. The restrooms were clean, and services were available (like a walk up bar, and a waiter from a nearby restaurant who was taking orders and brought the folks next to us the most amazing fish meals). We thought the setting was beautiful (certainly not what I see on an "ordinary" day!), and the water was very clear and warm.

I wouldn't compare it to Trunk Bay (that's on our next time list), because "everyone" says Trunk Bay is just exquisite. We still enjoyed our time relaxing at Sapphire Beach -- here are a few photos:

2731355580101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

2797817870101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

2593843000101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

Wow! Thanks Michell for those beautiful pictures!

We went to Sapphire Beach last July and enjoyed it so much we are going back this July!

As far as snorkeling, the water was a little "wavy" for me to snorkel in, but others may find it great. We had one of the best grilled chicken meals ever while we were there. The beach wasn't crowded and that's what we have looked for.

Trunk Bay has been our favorite snorkel beach - we just worry about the taxis to the ferry and getting back on time. My husband is a real worrier!

Hope you'll have a great time!

I was at Sapphire Beach on May 9. The weather wan't perfect as rained off and on. However, there is no controlling the weather! The last time we were there in 2006 the water was as smooth as glass & this time there were some mild waves. Again that will change from day to day. Overall, it is one of our favorite beaches. Trunk Bay is beautiful, but the coral is heavily damaged and as noted before on this thread is a hike from the pier.

The water is pure and clean. The beach is not crowded and is in a quiet location. The nearby facilities are not run down and are convenient. The beach has trees providing the shade that we desire. The only litter on the sand are leaves from the trees on the upper part of the beach, where closer to the water there is nothing but clean sand. We liked it so much we picked up a brochure for the hotel.....but I think I won't say anymore. We want to keep the crowds away!;)

If you promise not to tell I just uploaded a album on Sapphire on Webshots. Here is the link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572231887BGaIQx

Took my Aunt there last week who was here off the cruise ship. The main bar is being remodeled, but there is still the one on the east end of the beach. The resort itseld did look more run down than it did 4 years ago and we hope they can start working on that too. We did not snorkel that day, but I have many many times before, and it's great. Check the weather before you go and find out which side of the island is choppy, then make your choice.

Or, go to the nearest dive shop and ask them. They'll know!

Thank You for sharing your pics MichellP and Sunny AZ girl. That water looks beautiful. Maybe the resort is what people are talking about looking run down. That would not bother me as long as the beach was nice and judging by the pics it looks very nice. :)

Thank You Candeegirl, I look foward to your review.

I was at Sapphire Beach on May 9. The weather wan't perfect as rained off and on. However, there is no controlling the weather! The last time we were there in 2006 the water was as smooth as glass & this time there were some mild waves. Again that will change from day to day. Overall, it is one of our favorite beaches. Trunk Bay is beautiful, but the coral is heavily damaged and as noted before on this thread is a hike from the pier.

The water is pure and clean. The beach is not crowded and is in a quiet location. The nearby facilities are not run down and are convenient. The beach has trees providing the shade that we desire. The only litter on the sand are leaves from the trees on the upper part of the beach, where closer to the water there is nothing but clean sand. We liked it so much we picked up a brochure for the hotel.....but I think I won't say anymore. We want to keep the crowds away!;)

If you promise not to tell I just uploaded a album on Sapphire on Webshots. Here is the link:

Your pictures are beautiful! What kind of camera did you use to take these pictures?

Thanks for all the positives - makes me feel a whole lot better. I will still let you know what I think Froggy - I get back on June 6th so sometime right after that.

I just received an email from Godfrey this morning and he advised me he was not going back to Sapphire Beach - ugh! He said it was due to "problems on that beach." We were so disappointed! He said he only goes to Meagan's or Coki - so, I guess we're going to try one of those. Sorry to get your hopes up!

I just received an email from Godfrey this morning and he advised me he was not going back to Sapphire Beach - ugh! He said it was due to "problems on that beach." We were so disappointed! He said he only goes to Meagan's or Coki - so, I guess we're going to try one of those. Sorry to get your hopes up!

That surprises me very much. As I stated earlier, I was just there on May 9 and saw no problems anywhere. We had a wonderful day.:confused:

I would not go to Megans's due to the lack of snorkeling. I have not been to Coki but I hear the snorkeling is good. However, I have read that it is close to the road (we like the peace and quiet of Sapphire) and also have ready of security problems there as it has some unsavory characters hanging around. Again, I have not experienced that personally - just read that here on the boards.

Hi Ginny,

I know what you mean - we were all set to return to Sapphire Beach as we had a wonderful time there last July. I suppose we could just get a taxi to the beach, but since I'm going with my parents I had better stick with Godfrey's tour.

I hope they clear up whatever is going on there!

• 1 month later...

Hi SunnyAZGirl,

Loved your photos of Sapphire Beach-so glad to hear you enjoyed this beach. We too are thinking about spending our day here in mid August when we are in town with the Carnival Freedom. Since I am an avid snorkeler-what kind of camera did you use? Your pictures were very clear-loved the turtle! Did he just come close to shore and allowed you to pick him up? I would love to see a turtle! The closest I've been was holding one in Grand Cayman at the Turtle Farm--which I loved. But...would love to see one in the water when I was snorkeling. Thanks for your review and pictures-Also, was there a bbq stand for drinks and sandwiches when you were there? Were there many lounge chairs available? I know you have to pay, but just wondering if they had many? Drinks? Sodas, beer, rum punch??? What did they have to eat? Asking since we have two kids . Hoping they have hotdogs and hamburgers! For me doesn't matter, I'll be snorkeling the whole time! Would appreciate any help! We're planning on trying to just get a taxi to the beach early, since we don't really want to tour or shop. May shop just a little before getting back on the ship...:)

Hi SunnyAZGirl,

Loved your photos of Sapphire Beach-so glad to hear you enjoyed this beach. We too are thinking about spending our day here in mid August when we are in town with the Carnival Freedom. Since I am an avid snorkeler-what kind of camera did you use? Your pictures were very clear-loved the turtle! Did he just come close to shore and allowed you to pick him up? I would love to see a turtle! The closest I've been was holding one in Grand Cayman at the Turtle Farm--which I loved. But...would love to see one in the water when I was snorkeling. Thanks for your review and pictures-

I'm sorry - but I am not sure what camera my husband uses. I think it is a Canon - in a housing unit. I use a snorkel camera mask (check out Sky Mall catalog). We both took pictures and combines them. Then I use Picasa to "fix" them - it's like turning the lights on!

The turtle was just swimming along minding his own business when someone grabbed him and brought him up to the beach for a few minutes, then released him again. I think you need to be in the grassy areas to see turtles in the water.

Also, was there a bbq stand for drinks and sandwiches when you were there? Were there many lounge chairs available? I know you have to pay, but just wondering if they had many? Drinks? Sodas, beer, rum punch??? What did they have to eat? Asking since we have two kids . Hoping they have hotdogs and hamburgers! For me doesn't matter, I'll be snorkeling the whole time!

Yes, there is a snack bar at the beach with hamburgers and hot dogs - also a bar area. I have heard of a restaurant that delivers, but did not see that myself. The food is a bit pricey, but worth it. We're on vacation!

Would appreciate any help! We're planning on trying to just get a taxi to the beach early, since we don't really want to tour or shop. May shop just a little before getting back on the ship...:)

Taxis are p[lentiful. You'll have no problem. Also Sunny Liston will take you to the beach only. We told him when to pick us up both directions and he was there. Without a pre-arranged ride you may have to call for a taxi from the beach and wait a bit. Sunny was the same price as the cabs.

Just thought you'd like to know that someone posted a thread about not liking Coki beach and someone else responded saying they were on a Godfrey tour & went to Coki. Supposedly the tour group didn't like Coki and after 30 minutes they wanted to leave. Godfrey said no, they had to stay for 2 hours. In this poster's words, Godfrey "was too busy eating and hanging with his friends."

This person may just be sour grapes (maybe other people on the tour liked Coki so Godfrey said no because he had to wait for snorkelers?) Just thought I'd mention that maybe why he doesn't go to Sapphire is because he wants to bring business to his friends.

Archived