Down Syndrome Adult Daughter

cmdear63

My family and I will be going on a cruise next month. My daughter, who has Down Syndrome, is 25yr and this is her first cruise. If my husband and I wanted to go out for the evening, maybe to dinner, can I use the sitting service in cabin? I would not leave her by herself. Thanks!

This is our first cruise with our daughter, who has down syndrome who is 25 yrs old. We wanted to know if their any one use a sitting service on board, if I and Hubby want to have dinner alone one night?

For liability reasons the cruise lines will not accommodate sitting for an adult. The only lines that have in cabin sitting for children only, are Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, but they do not have services for an adult. I was just on RCI and Celebrity on cruises and saw a two adult Down's on each cruise and they really seemed to enjoy the whole cruise experience. One even dined in the specialty restaurant on Infinity.

I do not think anyone will provide sitting for adults. There is a group that plans groups and individual cruises for adults with autism and other developmental disabilities. On their group cruises I know they will sit so family can attend shows and dinner, but I am not sure if anything is available on individual cruises.

well, i agree that the cruise lines won't provide it, but i understand your need for some alone time. Why don't you go to the roll-call for your sailing date and post an "ad" there saying you are looking for someone to sit with your adult daughter for a few nights. Maybe you will find a teenage girl who wants some extra money; or even somebody in your same boat who you can also sit for. Worth a shot!

Candy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived