Arenal Volcano & Hot Springs

medacruise

We did this tour in 2006. Hot springs were lovely.but....

The ride from Puntarenas was very long and scary (nearly went off a bridge three times, and then had to back up a hill and around a corner to allow oncoming traffic by). We left very early in the am and they had to hold the ship for us in the evening...about 13 hour trip, most of it in the bus. One stop each way, limited time at the springs, and the terror of the ride would prevent us from taking this tour again.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I am in such a quandary over this excursion. The excursion write-up makes it sound wonderful. Do you remember how many hours you were on the bus? You said you went in 2006….What month?? Can you tell me more about the circumstances of almost going off the road?? Were the roads there mountainous, in poor condition?

This is my second choice of excursions. I would really like to take the air tram, but my husband is not at all interested. I would like to spend the day with him, as the date we would go is my birthday. But after reading your reply I am thinking of taking the air tram and letting him go on another tour of his choice. :p

If I remember correctly, It was a 13 hour trip, with about 2.5 hours at the springs (which also included lunch), then 2 breaks at about 15 minutes each.

The seats on the bus were really small, and very close together. My DH who is 6'5" had to sit with his legs in the aisle because he couldn't fit.

The roads were ok, but very narrow and not geared for a full-sized bus. As for going off the bridge, we were trying to get on it, and there wasn't enough room for the bus to turn. It was very scary. We asked the tour guide to let us off until they crossed the bridge, but he said 'it wasn't safe' to get off the bus. We really didn't feel that safe on the bus!

We went in September.

The springs were beautiful and the volcano erupted while we were there, so that was neat.

Were you on the Sun Princess from Seattle to Ft Lauderdale? My partner and I did that tour as well, and we definitely would not do it again. Quite beautiful area, but we felt the volcano was a bit of hype, the hot springs were nice though.

I also remember that we were on the last bus getting back and they were holding the ship for us.

We are taking the Sea Princess this year San Francisco to Barbabdos. We loced going through the canal!

Cheers,

Peter

We did Celebrity Infinity from San Fran to FLL.

Loved it, also. Looked at doing it again this year but decided on Caribbean instead (Weird stops, though, Columbia, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama...not what I would call Caribbean!)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that the hot springs were wonderful! There were several different pools with different temperatures. It was absolutely gorgeous. There were some pools that were hidden by trees and you could have some privacy. There was also an inground pool with a nice swim up bar. The drinks were pricey though. I think it was $10 for a daquiri. The view of the volcano was stunning. They provided a nice buffet dinner. We were lucky enough to see some lava flow from the volcano after dark. They also had nice locker rooms and gift shops.

• 4 months later...

The hot springs themselves were wonderful--stunning really, plus we were able to soak in them at night with the red lava rolling down the volcano.

However--we were on a land tour of Costa Rica (about 12 years ago) and staying at a lodge in the Cloud Forest. We had a van for our small group of 15 or so. It was only 60 K to the volcano; which is not much more than 40 miles. It took us about 3 HOURS each way because the (supposedly) paved road was so bad--big pot holes everywhere, some the size of oh, say a mini Cooper, very windy, hilly, narrow. It was beautiful and quite an experience, but I don't think I'd want to chance it from a cruise ship due to time factors.

Maybe they've improved the road by now

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We just returned from a land based vacation in Costa Rica. We drove from Arenal to Puntarenas (and beyond) The drive was probably 3 hours. The roads are much better than even a few months ago as the new toll road has finally opened! I would not hesitate to do this trip if you have ample time in port. It's very cool seeing and hearing the volcano!

It's just a thought, but maybe you can rent a car and drive yourself? Or even hire a local driver to take you to and from? IMO both are much better options than riding on a bus.

You can go up to Arenal Observatory Lodge for $4 per person and that is about as close as it gets to the volcano.

The hot springs at Tabacon are beautiful but expensive! If you want to save money there are free hot springs just outside the entrance of Tabacon. Here is a neat video that explains the location and shows the location in relation to Tabacon. (literally a stones throw away)

Hope this helps!

I just wanted to add that the toll road is in excellent condition. It is a newly paved highway. It's not a high speed interstate like we might be used to in the U.S. but it is a highway and a good one...and I said 3 hours, but I really think it was shorter, but this would be worst case scenario.

Archived