Cruising is Overwhelming

sherizel

It's no different than going on a beach vacation. Ignore the ridiculous duct tape, door contraptions, hamper, micorwave, bungee cord suggestions. they are all ridiculous. Just relax and have a good time.

Sorry not even close........I love packing for Hawaii......I dread packing for a cruise...

Ok. I'll take my flame thrower out. Yeesh!!

Absolutely not. That, the Nintendo DS and the powered fruit punch are absolutely essential. *ESPECIALLY* the flamethrower. I use it to toast annoying kids who screw with the elevators ... ;)

I know what everything else is for: bungee, power strip, shoe holder....but what is the duct tape for? I can't figure that out.

Duct tape is for repairs, in case the airline damages your bags, etc. (can even be used if you tear a hem out!!!):D

power strip

extension cord

glad air freshner w/night light (it is really dark)

underwater camera

over the door organizer

post it note pad

highlighter

door decoration (helps you find you room after many DOD's)

sunglasses

sunscreen

OMG I can see how you are overwhelmed, but do take the advise of taking only half the clothes you planned on taking. Mix and match, and enjoy you cruise. I'll bet it wont be your last.

Go to the pursers desk for postcards and playing cards.

So I'm leaving for my first cruise in 25 days, yay! I am so overwhelmed. I'm trying to do a lot of research so I don't forget anything but it seems I need day clothes, evening clothes, workout clothes, formal clothes, swimwear and then everything from extension cords to duct tape to over the door contraptions to pop up hampers. Ugh, this is tiring.

How many pieces of luggage does one woman normally bring? I was just planning on brining a 21" carry on and a 29" upright suitcase but I think I may be over the 50 lb airline weight limit with all this stuff and if that's the case I need another piece of luggage.

Hey sherizel. For the Fantasy sailing last week (7 days) I had one 21" carry on and my shoes went in one duffle with DH's shoes. I took 3 pair of shorts and 4 mix and match tops. One pair of khakis. One pair of capris (all of which mix and match with the tops). One fancy pair of dress slacks and 2 fancy shirts to match (for cruise elegant nights). ONE pair of dress shoes. My bathing suit. Underwear. All of that, with my shampoo and hair items, make up (VERY limited makeup), camera with batteries, powerstrip, chargers for batteries, "toys" and jewelry went in my 21" bag. I took (in addition to the dress shoes) one dressy pair of sandals and one set of flip flops. But I'm going to tell you, I can see how people can end up with a zillion bags. I noticed several people onboard last week who 1) had on a different bathing suit EACH DAY! Who does this!?! 2) Different outfits with a DIFFERENT pair of shoes each day and night!!!! Holy crap!!!! 3) Enough makeup to cover Manhattan on some women (that alone would require one bag for some of these folks). If you can learn to mix and match outfits (and don't stroke because you're wearing the same pair of shorts or shirt more than once before washing :eek:) and evening wear, you really don't have to pack much.

So I'm leaving for my first cruise in 25 days, yay! I am so overwhelmed. I'm trying to do a lot of research so I don't forget anything but it seems I need day clothes, evening clothes, workout clothes, formal clothes, swimwear and then everything from extension cords to duct tape to over the door contraptions to pop up hampers. Ugh, this is tiring.

How many pieces of luggage does one woman normally bring? I was just planning on brining a 21" carry on and a 29" upright suitcase but I think I may be over the 50 lb airline weight limit with all this stuff and if that's the case I need another piece of luggage.

I go to dinner dressed appropriately every night, and everything for me for a 7 day cruise fits in a garment bag, and it also has his suit in it. You do not need an extension cord or duct tape unless you have a lot of gadgets, the cabin has a blow dryer. We use the other outlet for cell phone charger, or iPod charger. You do not need a pop up hamper, we have never brought one. We never need the over the door thing, either, as we're just two people. If you had 4 people in a cabin, you may need one, but we never did. The garment bag when jam packed never weighs more than 40 pounds. His stuff fits in one suitcase, then we have one suitcase that has beach towels, and liquids in ziploc bags (shampoo, suntan lotion, etc). Total for 2 people, 2 suitcases (checked) and 1 garment bag which fits in overhead.

Okay, I can go with duct tape, because you can fix almost anything with it. But do y'all really think it's necessary to take a CLOCK? I have a wristwatch, my cell phone clock has an alarm (as though I want to set an alarm on a vacation), and the TV will tell you what time it is...I think someone should also point out to the OP that every bit of suitcase that is stuffed with clothing is unavailable for smuggling booze...

Relax this is your first cruise, its supposed to be fun. Don't beat yourself up on small things like bungee cords. No matter what, your first cruise will be a learning experience. You will learn what your own personal needs and wants will be. Everybody elses lists are just for reference. Only after your first cruise will YOU know if you need to bring a bungee cord, duct tape, less clothes, etc... But remember in the end, once your stepping from the gangway plank to your first step on the ship, it will all be worth it!!

I do take a travel clock but don't use the alarm on it. I am up by 5am usually on the cruise. My cell phone stays off while we are on board, I rarely wear a watch (without contacts I couldn't see it at night anyways LOL) and the tv is always off so the clock is necessary for me.

My contacts have to stay in their solution 6 hours so it's kind of important to see how early I'm up to make sure I'm not popping them back in before the solution is neutralized. Trust me, that's not a pleasant experience :eek:

I also take small fan, again a personal preference, I also sleep with one at home, gives some white noise and keeps the air moving. Like another poster mentioned I just keep the bathroom light on and the door closed at night, gives enough light to find the bathroom so no need for a night light.

I've never needed an extesion cord or extra outlets but I don't take a ton of rechargeable gadgets, my camera charges fast so it doesn't take up the plug long.

The last cruise I went on with my sister was my second and her first. After I saw everything she brought I told her I was going to have packing editing rights for her the next time. She brought stuff for a full manicure (including about 10 different color polishes), a different lotion or cream for just about every part of her body, about 6 different things for a full facial, etc., etc., etc. - and, of course, used about 1/4 of everything she'd lugged along!!

One of the best comments I read her said pack everything you want to take. Then take half of it out. And lastly take another third out and you should be set!!;)

Nope I love opening the curtains and watching the sky changing as the sun starts to rise. Then I head up to the Lido while it's empty and walk the deck. It's so nice having it all to myself, well sometimes DH gets up and comes along LOL

Nope I love opening the curtains and watching the sky changing as the sun starts to rise. Then I head up to the Lido while it's empty and walk the deck. It's so nice having it all to myself, well sometimes DH gets up and comes along LOL

That is true, it is nice having the lido deck all to myself. I try to pretend that the ship is my own personal yacht. I also do love seeing the sun rise, I just can't get my lazy butt out of bed that early! LOL

I always take my clock, plug it in so if and when I wake up in the middle of the night I know what time it is. I also take fan. I can not sleep w/o one. I just use it for the noise. I also take an extension cord and a strip thingy to plug in my laptop, clock and fan. I did bring a small travel pocket to put in the bathroom which I put all our bathroom things in it. I hung it on a hook on the door.

1. Take a look at all the clothes you have laid out to take.

2. Put at least half of them back in your closet. Trust me on this.

When I first started cruising I took waaayyyy too many clothes that I never wore. Now I do the mix and match thing so I get several outfits out of the same clothes.

Have a wonderful cruise and remember-no one is going to pay any attention to what you wear so be comfortable and wear things more than once-no one will notice!

Hmmm, I have to disagree on this one. When I cruise, I change multiple times per day.

When we get back from excursions, we are sweaty or wind-blown or sandy or.... well you get the picture. The 1st thing we do when we get back on the ship is shower and change. Usually into something comfortable and casual.... until it's time for dinner. And although we don't dress up every night, we typically change into something nicer than shorts and t-shirts. So yes, we change again. I'm not even going to mention smimsuits and workout clothes, cuz that's obvious enough. And yes, we definitely re-wear or mix and match those casual clothes that we might have only worn for 2 or 3 hours on a prior day. But we still bring and need and wear at least 2 outfits per day, sometimes more.

One last note, in regards to "no one noticing if you wear the same thing more than once". On our last cruise, we noticed a man wearing the SAME neon green tie-dyed shirt EVERY SINGLE DAY. Ummm, every day. So even if he happened to have 7 of those shirts, I would recommend not wearing neon green tie-dye more than a time or 2. It sorta stands out.

I go to dinner dressed appropriately every night, and everything for me for a 7 day cruise fits in a garment bag, and it also has his suit in it. You do not need an extension cord or duct tape unless you have a lot of gadgets, the cabin has a blow dryer. We use the other outlet for cell phone charger, or iPod charger. You do not need a pop up hamper, we have never brought one. We never need the over the door thing, either, as we're just two people. If you had 4 people in a cabin, you may need one, but we never did. The garment bag when jam packed never weighs more than 40 pounds. His stuff fits in one suitcase, then we have one suitcase that has beach towels, and liquids in ziploc bags (shampoo, suntan lotion, etc). Total for 2 people, 2 suitcases (checked) and 1 garment bag which fits in overhead.

Just FYI, I'm not sure if this is all Fantasy class as I can't remember what was on our cruises in 2006 and 2007, but this past week on the Fantasy there was no blow dryer in the room. I did borrow one from the cabin steward, however.

My dh and I will be cruising with our 4 children. I am shooting for a total of 6 suitcases and a garment bag for the 6 of us. One for each person (my 2 small dd's will share) and a suitcase for all the junk (soda, ex. cord...and so on) A garment bag for our dressy clothes. Thank goodness we will have two rooms or we wouldn't have enough room I guess!:p I am wondering about one thing though I purchased today. A sand bucket. It's bulky, but I guess I can put stuff in it while it's packed and for a buck I will leave it on the beach for somebody else.:)

Hmmm, I have to disagree on this one. When I cruise, I change multiple times per day.

When we get back from excursions, we are sweaty or wind-blown or sandy or.... well you get the picture. The 1st thing we do when we get back on the ship is shower and change. Usually into something comfortable and casual.... until it's time for dinner. And although we don't dress up every night, we typically change into something nicer than shorts and t-shirts. So yes, we change again. I'm not even going to mention smimsuits and workout clothes, cuz that's obvious enough. And yes, we definitely re-wear or mix and match those casual clothes that we might have only worn for 2 or 3 hours on a prior day. But we still bring and need and wear at least 2 outfits per day, sometimes more.

One last note, in regards to "no one noticing if you wear the same thing more than once". On our last cruise, we noticed a man wearing the SAME neon green tie-dyed shirt EVERY SINGLE DAY. Ummm, every day. So even if he happened to have 7 of those shirts, I would recommend not wearing neon green tie-dye more than a time or 2. It sorta stands out.

I'm sure that someone noticed I wore the same shirt more than once with different pants this past week. One thing different for me is NOT the "no one noticing if I'm wearing the same thing more than once" as much as "I could care LESS what people think if I wear the same thing more than once." I hope to God that the people who I saw change 2 and 3 times per day could care less that I was thinking, "Dang, glad I don't have to haul all that luggage!"

The most important thing is to enjoy your cruise. I'm done with bringing so much stuff. You will never use all the things that are on those ridiculous packing lists. The only item on those packing lists that I couldn't do without is the power strip for electronics. Bring as little luggage as possible it makes for easier cruise.

You guys are like us lol! We change about 3 times a day too......how can you not:p Wait make that 4 times when I change for bed:D

Our luggage consist of one large suitcase each and a garment bag......which we handle just fine.........afterall we only wheel them to the airport/ship/hotel......and again on the way back....the majority of the time they are in the hands of airport/hotel/cruiseline employee's:p

We also noticed a man wearing red sweats the entire cruise........I can't even imagine.....eeww!

I would rather bring too much then not enough......

My dh and I will be cruising with our 4 children. I am shooting for a total of 6 suitcases and a garment bag for the 6 of us. One for each person (my 2 small dd's will share) and a suitcase for all the junk (soda, ex. cord...and so on) A garment bag for our dressy clothes. Thank goodness we will have two rooms or we wouldn't have enough room I guess!:p I am wondering about one thing though I purchased today. A sand bucket. It's bulky, but I guess I can put stuff in it while it's packed and for a buck I will leave it on the beach for somebody else.:)

Why a sand bucket - they have all sorts of buckets around for the beer. Just grab one of those and leave on ship when you debark.

1. Take a look at all the clothes you have laid out to take.

2. Put at least half of them back in your closet. Trust me on this.

When I first started cruising I took waaayyyy too many clothes that I never wore. Now I do the mix and match thing so I get several outfits out of the same clothes.

Have a wonderful cruise and remember-no one is going to pay any attention to what you wear so be comfortable and wear things more than once-no one will notice!

I completely agree. Swimsuit all day then something simple for dinner. On one cruise I wore the same denim skirt every night for dinner (except formal night). No one noticed or cared. There's also a laundry place on the ship.

Archived