beach for family

msett

What would be nicest beach for a family to visit in St Martin. We will be there in a few weeks arriving on the magic. We originally were going to the orient but chaneged out minds. So what would be a nice beach with decent facilities and easily accesable by taxi or some form of transportation.

Matt

I've been checking into this since we are going to be there the first week of January and the beach voted best for families is Le Galion beach. Very shallow for a good way out, in a bay so low surf, restaurant, right by the butterfly farm (and it seems close to Orient beach). Go to this site for information (and coupons):

http://www9.general-hosting.com/kctrln/SXM-Info/SXM-restaurants/orient/chezpat/

I found this doing a search for Le Galion beach on Google.

We have a 4-yr-old and a 19-month-old and we will be going to this beach.

Good luck!

I've been on websites most of the day researching beaches for the Caribbean Princess I booked this AM. I read A LOT of good recommendations for Divi Little Bay Beach Resort for families. We're going to try and find Orient Beach since we got lost and couldn't find it our last trip there a couple years ago...plus we won't have any children traveling with us!!!

Deb

Would Orient beach be okay for familes?
Matt, families commonly go to Orient Beach and have lots of fun. However, make sure you realize that it is a clothing optional, European type beach - and it is legal & accepted. You will see ladies sunning (and walking about) without tops. You will likely see totally nude couples walking along the waters edge, or maybe even eating at a couple establishments near the famous Club Orient Naturist Resort at the south end of the beach (they carry towels to sit on). There also is an area for nude sunning at the rock formation near CoCo Beach Bar. We've even noticed some folks working on their all-over tans in the chairs at La Playa, near Bikini Beach Bar. With all this said, we never saw anyone "acting up" or doing anything but enjoy the sun & sand. It is very couples oriented and I would guess the average age would be close to 50, at least when we were there.

There is a website called "Everything St. Maarten" by Jeff Berger that has a huge amount of information - including beach info & activities (it is primarily aimed at the destination traveler). Be aware that some of the pages may include photos of partial nudity. http://www.jmbcommunications.com/sxm.html

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Orient beach this past oct. with a 5 and 7 year old. we were very open and honest about being a different country with different cultures, told the kids that some people may not wear a bathing suit, and it is not a place to point or laugh. We were on the stretch of beach that was not part of club orient. We did see one middle aged nude man, with nothing on but a straw hat. The kids were fine with it. It was me who had to hold in my laughter!!!! Now when ever we talk about st martin the kids remind us, hey remember the guy who was naked with the hat.

We were at Orient Beach during a tour. An extremely long 10 minutes for my 20 year old who just couldn't understand why old folks (I'd guess in their 70s and 80s), with all over tans and bodies in really bad shape would want to take their clothes off and walk around. It was pretty bad but we did get a good laugh about it later. We also tried to be polite so no laughing at the beach.

My suggestion, the beach at the water taxi pier is nice. Take a tour of the island, we hired a cab with a couple, and then enjoy the beach at the pier. Lots of sea shells and calm water.

I would have to say that 70 and 80 year olds want to take their clothes off for the same reason 20 year olds might: to enjoy the sun and the natural state of the human body. Sorry you had to laugh about something so natural (nice of you not to do it to their faces though), but to each his or her own I guess.

beachchick

Exactly. The beach is identified as a nude beach and you are asked to respect their privacy by not taking photographs. I would also respect their decision to be nude as they would my decision not to be. One gentleman who was probably in his 80's had a large tattoo on his back side and that generated the laugh. My daughter and I have wondered what happens to a tattoo acquired in your 20's when you become 80, it answered our question.

Back to the original question of where to take the family to the beach...I really didn't find Orient Beach and the adjacent beach to the left the nicest. The beach is lined with bars and folks selling things. Unfortunately it is hard to find beaches without these. You might want to check to see if the island has a site that describes the beaches. Also, there were two threads with numerous postings by snoopyleogirl and another by someone from the States who was very familiar with the island, they may be great resources for beach ideas.

Archived