Chilkoot Yukon Bus and Rail 7.5 hr or 9 hr trip

tommygirl1

We are planning to take a Bus and Rail Excursion with Chilkoot Charters when we are in Skagway. I am trying to decide between the 7 1/2 hour trip or the 9hr trip. Both trips travel to Bennett, Carcross and Emerald Lake.

Which trip would you recommend?

Thanks!

I could be wrong on this, but I think it is the 9hr tour that has been affected by the track washout problem, I believe that they are doing a plan B, but I would check on this before even considering which one.

I just did the 7.5 hr trip with Chilkoot--BJ was our guide---and it was AWESOME!!!!!! Train ride was fantastic (sit on the left hand side for the best view) and BJ was ful of great info/history of the area and made plenty of stops to take pics. caribou crossign was great, a nice lunch, played with husky pups, as well 1 could do a quick 15 min husky sled pull ($30 a person) I was quite happy withthe 7.5 hr trip, as it gave u time at the end to stil walk around the town. Even has a starbucks,lol

I started with the train up to Fraser BC then the bus, so if thats the case, sit on the left.

Chilkoot doesn't use a "bus" they have various vehicles, and I belive most have "captain" chairs. Our vehicle had like 14 or 16 seats, very comfortable

We are planning to take a Bus and Rail Excursion with Chilkoot Charters when we are in Skagway. I am trying to decide between the 7 1/2 hour trip or the 9hr trip. Both trips travel to Bennett, Carcross and Emerald Lake.

Which trip would you recommend?

Thanks!

I have tried twice to do the 9-hour rail/bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters, and both have been cancelled due to washed-out tracks! Instead - we did the 7.5-hour tour in 2007, and we'll do it again next week.

By the way - only the 9-hour tour stops in Bennett.

The washout is between Fraser and Carcross. The hope is that it will be repaired by August. For those currently booked on the 9 hour tour within the next few weeks, Chilkoot has been calling the people and offering them the shorter 7 1/2 hour tour as a substitute.

If you are not one who is bored with scenery, go for the 9 hour tour. It was fabulous!!!

it was my understanding that only the 9 hr went to emerald lake?

The 9 Hour tour goes to Bennett Lake. You stop at Bennett and have lunch and are given time to walk around the area. You reboard the train and once you reach Carcross, you take a bus to Emerald Lake. The 7 1/2 hour trip goes as far as Fraser. A bus picks you up there and it also takes you to Emerald Lake.

Thanks for the information on the washout, I hadn't heard about this yet. We are booked for the 9 hour for late June and I was really looking forward to it, but the 7.5 hour trip would be fine with us as well. Maybe not as good for me but probably better for some others in my group.

Archived