Just back from the Adriatic Explorer

Reply to old posts- but just to say thanks to all above who commented and especially to flopsy whose initial post helped us decide this would be our cruise choice this year. Have a happy and safe holiday all wherever you decide :)

Hi there

I am so pleased to have been able to assist you in your choice.This itinerary was my first ever cruise and I would love to do it again next year.The ports of call were all, without exception, lovely places to visit.

I am confident that you will come back and tell us that you thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to go again lol.

Flopsy

Hello Flopsy, thanks for reply. My wife and I have been on the Spirit before and also the Celebration but while I can't explain it we just seem to prefer the Spirit. The entertainment was fantastic, the ship size, crew/passenger ratio etc The previous crew were mainly Filipino but I am confident of a equally friendly Greek crew on board this time.

Anyway I digress, did I mention we have a week stay in Corfu after the cruise That's a first as it's usually the other way round but might need to recover from excursion fatigue ha ha.

Maybe just one last question. Euros are ok everywhere but best to take £50 or so in Kuna ? Does the same apply in Koper as main currency is Slovenian Topar

Finally did you find it really helpful to take currency other than Euro or will I need some Kuna and Tolar ?

Hi Scout

We didn't change any currency for Koper- they took euros for coffee and thats all we bought.

The only place we exchanged currency was Dubrovnik.We got £50 of kuna on the ship, but we didn't spend it! The shops and the market had dual pricing so I used euros to buy souvenirs,pay for taxi etc.If you intend to take the local bus here I believe they ask for kuna coins (but you only have notes) so you get lots of kuna coins back which you have to spend!

The walk around the walls is payable in kuna at one of the access points but they accept euro at the other access point! We had to have a couple of large lagers to use up some kuna, then we exchanged the rest back into sterling on the ship.

So I think you could get away with euro everywhere!

We found very few Greek staff on board- there was Dimitrious running the bar in Hemingways- I liked him.A bit on the slow side but hey he was still learning.And old George on deck around the Lido outsde bar- he seemed to have a bit of a problem understanding English and feet that we rather tired lol.We witnessed the odd error when he misheard the drinks order but as long as you speak clearly it shouldn't be a problem!

Flopsy

Edited by Flopsy

Hi there

I've just looked on Thomsons website- there is no asterick against any port on this itinerary which would normally indicate it's a tender and I haven't got a brochure to check it out.

We had tender at Split last year but you go to Korcula instead this year.

When I first went on this cruise two years ago we docked at Dubrovnik.But last year when i went on it we couldn't dock as another ship was already berthed in the dock so transfer was by tender.

So I suggest you have a look in the brochure to be sure.

Flopsy

Hi there

I've just looked on Thomsons website- there is no asterick against any port on this itinerary which would normally indicate it's a tender and I haven't got a brochure to check it out.

We had tender at Split last year but you go to Korcula instead this year.

When I first went on this cruise two years ago we docked at Dubrovnik.But last year when i went on it we couldn't dock as another ship was already berthed in the dock so transfer was by tender.

So I suggest you have a look in the brochure to be sure.

Flopsy

Hi Flopsy and Beanozak,

Some of us have a brochure :D

I like proper paper and print to look at. Strains my eyes too much reading off the screen.

It shows Kotor as a tender port.

Berwyn

Hi Flopsy,

A bit like us last year in Corfu. We had to tender in as the berths were full when we arrived.

I wanted to do this cruise this year for 30th anniversary but DW wants to go off to see the Mayan ruins in Mexico instead.

I'll try again next year.

Berwyn

:confused:Do you tender in on any of the ports. I have a problem stepping down:(into the tenders so I would just like to know which they are. We are going on this cruise in June.:D:p

According to this site (which isn't always accurate) depending on which sailing you're on in June you could be the only ship in port.

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=353&date=22

The Windstar only carries 150 passengers so hopefully the Spirit would be the one to dock. It would make more sense - but when does that mean anything??? :rolleyes: On the positive side, the crew are very good at assisting passengers into and out of tenders and as Kotor is at the end of a fjord, hopefully there won't be much in the way of waves so the tenders won't be bobbing around much - which could help too. It's a lovely place though - I do hope you will be able to get off without difficulty to enjoy it. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Bouncing this up the board for those going on 7 October 2011

Flopsy

Thanks Flopsy,

Got out tickets today and was looking at the Corfu trip as we don't fly back to Gatwick until 8.45pm. Will definitely do that then and would probably have time to look round Corfu town as well!

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...