pronunciation question

bluenoser2

Dumb question today - but enough to lie awake about last night (I'm a little stressed right now and none of it has to do with the cruise!).

How do you pronounce "Dyea"?

I come from a place where I have mastered areas like Shubenacadie, Musquadobit, and Apahoqui....and I was born in the Okanagan.....but I haven't figured this one out yet. Maybe I'm just sleep deprived today.

Thanks!

I am from the Okanagan, and will be on a tour with Dyea Dave, but I could care less as to how the name is pronounced.

What does inerest me however is how and why the townsite of Dyea, came to be no more. I believe that it was that it was canninbalized, about the time of the gold rush.

john

Dyea (pronounced /ˈdаɪ.iː/) is a former town in the U.S. state of Alaska. There are a few people living on individual small homesteads in the valley; however, it is largely abandoned. It is located at the convergence of the Taiya River and Taiya Inlet on the south side of the Chilkoot Pass, at 18px-Erioll_world.svg.png59°30′16″N 135°21′36″W / 59.50444°N 135.36°W / 59.50444; -135.36, within the limits of the Municipality of Skagway Borough, Alaska. During the Klondike Gold Rush prospectors disembarked at its port and used the Chilkoot Trail, a Tlingit trade route over the Coast Mountains, to begin their journey to the gold fields around Dawson City, Yukon, about 800 km (500 miles) away

The port at Dyea had shallow water, while neighboring Skagway had deep water. Dyea was abandoned when the White Pass and Yukon Route railroad chose the White Pass Trail (instead of the alternative Chilkoot Trail), which began at Skagway, for its route.

Chilkoot Trail and Dyea Site is a U.S. National Historic Landmark.

Dyea is now within the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park. All that remains are a number of foundations surrounded by scraps of lumber and metal, 3 cemeteries, including one where almost every person buried died on the same date in an avalanche on the gold rush trail, and the ruins of the wharf.[1] Respectful visitors can usually spot brown bears, black bears, caribou, and eagles. Brown bears tend to use the Dyea inlets to feed during salmon spawning season (July-August).

I don't know if this is right, but I say Die-ee (long i and long e).

Hi, Nancy. Have a great return to Alaska.

die E is what I say, too.

As for cannibals, all I could find was the mention of a cannibal Indian tribe.

The prospectors lacked food and almost, and maybe did, turn to that method of survival.

Article Preview

SAVED FROM CANNIBALISM.; Alaska Prospectors Rescued Just as They Were Preparing to Eat a Dead Comrade.

August 28, 1901, Wednesday

Page 1, 406 words

OSWEGO, N. Y., Aug. 27. -- A letter just received here from William C. Brown, a Klondike gold seeker, tells a story of starvation which drove the members of a party almost to the point of becoming cannibals. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH

Archived