Thoughts About Ensenada

darchibald

We are thinking about taking a cruise to Mexico. Stops include San

Diego, Catalina, & Ensenada. My coworker and his family just went on

a cruise and the only stop was in Ensenada. He told me that the place

was dirty and kids were clinging to his pant leg saying, "Chickleeee!

Chickleeee!". (I think that is how you spell it). He said that the over all

cruise was nice but will never go to Ensenada again.

Thoughts?

We did that cruise for Spring Break 2002 when Carnival's Ecstasy was positioned in LA and had a great time. Most of the fun was in Catalina though, I thought Ensenada was kind of a dump. Lots of beggars and really trashy.

Later I found out that tours of the wine country were very nice.

It's a great little local cruise. We stay on the ship in Ensenada, for all the above reasons. There are a few excursions that others have written about here on these boards, none of them have appealed to us yet. Having the ship to ourselves has always been great, we have the pool to ourselves, no lines anywhere for anything.

The stops in San Diego and Catalina are always wonderful, so if you go on this cruise, enjoy those ports. There is so much to do in San Diego and Catalina is beautiful.

Thanks everyone for your input. My g/f's kids want to go Mexico and

love the thought of taking a cruise (to anywhere basically). I really don't want to go on this cruise. I would love to go back to the Bahamas, but they want to go to Mexico. I am going to be paying for this cruise whichisn't a problem. Since their school schedules really prevent some of them from working they won't have much money. If I could afford the air fare for all of them to Miami, that is where we would go. Maybe the following year we could do this.

As for Ensenada, maybe I will get off of the ship and go to the outskirts. I don't want to be a party pooper. I beleive that San Diego and Catalina will be the highlights of the cruise...

Hi to All....

As I am glad to have you come to San Diego on your cruise stop, I am proud of the port and the things we have here. But, I believe that many are slamming, without the history. Ensenada has come along way from what it was 10 years ago. Their people have worked hard to improve the place for you. Are there some problems? yes, but remember, this is a poor but proud country, who are striving to make this place a success. When in San Diego, take the trolley and see Tijuana, after that, you will see the improvements in Ensenada, as they used to look alike. I was surprised how much they have built and cleaned up from 7 years ago, on my last visit. ....Dennis

• 1 month later...

I was just in Ensenada on Jan. 21-24 and I did not see it as it being a dirty place. I did not have kids hanging on me selling Chicklettes. I did the winetasting excursion and then did shopping at downtown. Lots to see and do. Lots of great shopping. I did see a couple of people asking for money, but nothing to what was said in the above posts. Ensenada is a nice place to visit. Of course it does not compare to Acapulco or Cancun, but it is okay and it HAS come a long way. I'm sure there are towns right here in the good ol USA that have their share of people asking for money, especially off of the freeways and such. Don't knock it until you try it. No offence to anyone. just my opinion.

Archived