Daylight

tulips*n*truffles

I'm sure someone will find this question ridiculous...but I'm asking anyway. :-)

I've found a lot of websites that tell me how many hours of daylight we'll have on our cruise (mid-June), but none that tell me the hours of that daylight. Most of our ports say 18-19 hours of daylight. Is the dark during the overnight? About what time does the sun go down/come up?

Thanks!

Google is a wonderful way to get such info. Took me about 10 seconds to find it. Try this:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=Anchorage,%20Alaska;149.9;61.2;-9;1&month=6&year=2009&time_type=0&use_dst=1

<hanging head in embarrassment> :(

I looked and looked for that info and couldn't find anything even close to what you did! Thanks so much!!

Pia - your signature shows a TA and 24 days in the Med - are those b2b?? So like 4 cruising weeks in a row?! AMAZING!!

In the spring of 2010, yes. Ruby Princess TA for 16 days, followed by 24 in the Med. That's a little short of 6 weeks! :D

Actually, it never really gets dark up here during the month of June. You'll have twilight in the late night, early morning hours; this is particularly true the further north you travel.

In the spring of 2010, yes. Ruby Princess TA for 16 days, followed by 24 in the Med. That's a little short of 6 weeks! :D

I am increasingly jealous - I really should have started taking vacations much earlier in life! Whatever it is you do for a living - I want to do that! :-) HA!

Actually, it never really gets dark up here during the month of June. You'll have twilight in the late night, early morning hours; this is particularly true the further north you travel.

That's so interesting! I can't wait! Living in the rural midwest, our nights are super super dark. And long. :-) I would guess you adjust the longer you live there - I'm hopeful my body adjusts to "not-quite-dark" sleep. Every detail I learn gets me more and more excited to leave - and I really didn't think that could happen!! :D

That's so interesting! I can't wait! Living in the rural midwest, our nights are super super dark. And long. :-) I would guess you adjust the longer you live there - I'm hopeful my body adjusts to "not-quite-dark" sleep. Every detail I learn gets me more and more excited to leave - and I really didn't think that could happen!! :D

Well you could always come back in December and try your hand with only 5 1/2 hours of daylight :D

Suasn in Anchorage :)

I'm sure someone will find this question ridiculous...but I'm asking anyway. :-)

I've found a lot of websites that tell me how many hours of daylight we'll have on our cruise (mid-June), but none that tell me the hours of that daylight. Most of our ports say 18-19 hours of daylight. Is the dark during the overnight? About what time does the sun go down/come up?

Thanks!

I went to a website that gave the exact times for every day...including "Civil Twilight & Dawn (meaning those hrs that it's light out before sunrise & after set.) Believe it or not June 21st (the Solstice) Sunrise is like 3:51am (but it's light out by 2.32am) sunset is like 10:08, but it's light out until 11:30pm So that accounts for the 19hrs. of daylight. Plan on maybe 3 hrs of dark, and 2-3 of "white nights" indeed!!:rolleyes: BUT there's no moon,to keep what little night there is light...New Moon on the 22. Oh yes...from the US Naval Observatory

I think this is so cool! I'm getting so excited for this cruise - we will be in Anchorage (the farthest north we go) on the summer solstice so I think we should get to experience enough daylight for us. And as for the dark winter nights Tulips, I remember them well living in northern Saskatchewan and walking to university in the dark, and walking home from university in the dark, and never seeing daylight when I had the opportunity to be outside! Now if I could just get the final details on our home sale finished (we'll know tomorrow if it's official!) and get the arrangements for the kids, find a house in the new community we move to (have to be out of our house on July 3!).....we must be crazy to be taking this cruise in June, but sometimes I think this is the only way we can stay sane!

Plan on maybe 3 hrs of dark' date=' and 2-3 of "white nights" indeed!!:rolleyes: [/quote']

We were in Seward on Summer Solstice last year. Those 3 hrs of dark are really more like 3 hrs of "not quite dark".

Right now, it doesn't get dark in Fairbanks at all. It's even lighter than twilight. As far as Southeast goes, I'm not sure about daylight there right now, but it's probably similar. And if you have problems sleeping, tin foil taped to your windows or balcony doors work wonders for room darkening. Or maybe the ships have room-darkening curtains or shades.

Thats how we tell the newbies to Fairbanks. They have foil taped to their bedroom windows.

Have a great cruise!

Oh, and if you're planning on extending your tour and coming to Fairbanks, you won't see the Northern Lights this time of year, too much daylight. Believe it or not, this is the most-asked tourist question here, "when do the Northern Lights come out?" Answer "about October."

We loved sleeping with the curtains because of those "twilight" times - even if you woke at 2 am you could see silhouettes of the mountains - very cool! Unfortunately we're sailing in September instead of early July this time, but figured any time spent in Alaska will be wonderful.

Think I'll go check the Civil Twilight and Dawn website (sounds like an 80's band).

I was in Fairbanks for the Summer Solstice. They had a double header baseball game that began at 10 PM and with sufficient natural light to play to conclusion. I believe it may be an annual event. I don't believe it ever did get to what we would call "dark" that night.

Around 1966 a drive-in movie was opened on south Muldoon Road in Anchorage. We thought the guy was nuts. Too much daylight. I think the movie started at 10 PM. We would sleep through most of the movie though. Way past our bedtimes.

Archived