Viking River Cruise-Landing Address in St Petersburg

Karanja

We are arriving at St. Petersburg's Finland Railway Station from Helsinki on August 10th.

Do anyone know exactly where the Viking River Cruise riverboat dock and how far it is from the station?

Thank you in advance.

Ted

I don't know exactly where it is but you have to take a bus to the subway and the bus stop is several blocks from where the ship is moored. With traffic it is probably an hour away by bus from the main toursit attractions. It is not that good of a neighborhood either. I took a Viking Cruise last year and I don't know of anyone that tried to go out on their own in St. Petersburg. Many people did including myself in Moscow. The tour guides did point out the bus stop and the subway station when we returned from sightseeing.

They have an optional tour to the Peterhof on the free day and there are a few other offerings. The Peterhof is magnificent!

The Salt Pier, where Viking Cruises docked last year is on the left bank of the Neva, right next to a huge suspension bridge which is part of a major ring road. The address is Oktyabrskaya Naberezhnaya 29A. Naberezhnaya (Nab) means embankment.

GPS coordinates for Salt Pier: 59°51′23.31″N 30°29′52.34″E Can be found on Google Earth.

There is a bus stop across the road — buses 119 and 476 take you to metro station Lomonosovskaya. It took a good hour by (Viking tour) bus from town.

We had learnt enough of the Cyrillic alphabet to decipher street and Metro signs. With this knowledge we found it easy to read maps and travel by public transport. The big problems with public transport in Moscow and St Petersburg are the pickpockets and crowds.

The Metro (stations and trains) is very crowded. I would not like to use it with luggage and would try to organise a transfer from the rail station to the ship.

We found the Viking tours in both cities were very rushed, superficial and in huge groups. We spent three days in both Moscow and St Petersburg before and after the cruise to explore independently.

My review of our Russia (and Ukraine) cruise is way back on this site. I think I posted it in December 2008.

The Salt Pier, where Viking Cruises docked last year is on the left bank of the Neva, right next to a huge suspension bridge which is part of a major ring road. The address is Oktyabrskaya Naberezhnaya 29A. Naberezhnaya (Nab) means embankment.

GPS coordinates for Salt Pier: 59°51′23.31″N 30°29′52.34″E Can be found on Google Earth.

There is a bus stop across the road — buses 119 and 476 take you to metro station Lomonosovskaya. It took a good hour by (Viking tour) bus from town.

We had learnt enough of the Cyrillic alphabet to decipher street and Metro signs. With this knowledge we found it easy to read maps and travel by public transport. The big problems with public transport in Moscow and St Petersburg are the pickpockets and crowds.

The Metro (stations and trains) is very crowded. I would not like to use it with luggage and would try to organise a transfer from the rail station to the ship.

We found the Viking tours in both cities were very rushed, superficial and in huge groups. We spent three days in both Moscow and St Petersburg before and after the cruise to explore independently.

My review of our Russia (and Ukraine) cruise is way back on this site. I think I posted it in December 2008.

++++

Thank you both for the invaluable informaton. While I too can read the Cyrillic alphabet There is now no question about attempting to get from the railway station to the river landing on our own, especially as we were scheduled to arrive at Finland Station at 2251. Viking will not meet us off the train so we will have to fly from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, a bit of a disappointment.

I look forward to reading your review from late last year.

Ted

• 2 weeks later...
++++

Thank you both for the invaluable informaton. While I too can read the Cyrillic alphabet There is now no question about attempting to get from the railway station to the river landing on our own, especially as we were scheduled to arrive at Finland Station at 2251. Viking will not meet us off the train so we will have to fly from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, a bit of a disappointment.

I look forward to reading your review from late last year.

Ted

++++

After finding out that the one way air fare from Helsinki to St. Petersburg is 270 euros each, that is six times the 44 euros each by train, we are asking Viking to arrange a pick up we would pay for.

Good luck! Viking took shipmates of ours from the boat to the Finland Railway station to train to Helsinki at the end of our cruise.

If Viking don't come up to scratch fell free to email me hjdks@hotmail.com I can give you the name of the agency that handled our transfers in Russia. They were booked for us by our Australian travel agent. They may operate transfers independently.

Deb

Good luck! Viking took shipmates of ours from the boat to the Finland Railway station to train to Helsinki at the end of our cruise.

If Viking don't come up to scratch fell free to email me hjdks@hotmail.com I can give you the name of the agency that handled our transfers in Russia. They were booked for us by our Australian travel agent. They may operate transfers independently.

Deb

HDS

I haver done just that, thank you.

Archived