Since there have been a few inquiries about private tours lately...

MamaParrotHead

I thought I'd share the reasearch I've come up with regarding private charters (specifically hitting only Rum Point and Stingray Sandbar).

I've contacted most of the major tour companies mentioned on this board and have found that Nativeways is significantly cheaper, but has just as many positive reviews as the other companies. The rates I was quoted are as follows:

Nativeway: 5-5.5 hour full day charter (I chose to hit Stingray Sandbar plus Rum Point...they seemed flexible on itinerary), $650 for the first 11 pax, $50 per person after that plus $25 child under 5 rate.

Stingray Sailing: 4 hour excursion (set your own itinerary), $950/4 hours, plus $90 per hour after that.

Captain Marvin's: 5 hour charter (Stingray Sandbar plus 1-2 snorkel stops, plus a Kaibo Beach stop), $950 for up to 12 people, then $1200 13-18 people

Soto Tours: 5 hours (3 snorkel stops plus Rum Point), $700 1-15 people, additional people $25 per person

Red Sail: Hourly rate, 2 hour minimum, $950-$1075 per hour up to 50 people

Moby Dick Tours: does not offer any trips to Rum Point, didn't get past that part of the conversation

Well, the more reasonable ones are in the same ballpark with the ship's tours (provided you have enough people), which are shorter, have more people and you have no say as to where you'd like to go. And all these tours do offer separate group tours, which are less money but don't have the flexibility that the charter does. Included in Nativeway's price is use of snorkel gear, ray food, free punch and water.

This way we have a whole boat to ourselves with our group, a guide or two to ourselves, and get to make our own itinerary. Nativeway also offers an optional lunch at the Wreck at Rum Point for $10 pp...which, based on last time I was there, is about the going rate (maybe a bit cheaper), plus they phone it in and it's ready when you arrive. So no waiting in lines and wasting precious beach time. :)

Archived