Differences between balcony categories?

nunuc2000

Aside from location, are there any differences between the BA/BB/BC/BD/BE Balcony cabins on the Sun? Are there any differences in the sizes of the rooms or the balconies?

Anybody...?:confused:

Aside from location, are there any differences between the BA/BB/BC/BD/BE Balcony cabins on the Sun? Are there any differences in the sizes of the rooms or the balconies?

The general answer is no. Most ships have the odd balcony cabin here or there that is a bit larger than standard because it is in some particular area of the ship, Like sometimes the Stern cabin balconies are much bigger, but not always. Also sometimes balconies are tiered or something so some are bigger, and it is not always the higher category that might be bigger. Some might be angled or something like that.

Basically though there is no difference in the categories you mentioned other than the deck they are on.

The general answer is no. Most ships have the odd balcony cabin here or there that is a bit larger than standard because it is in some particular area of the ship, Like sometimes the Stern cabin balconies are much bigger, but not always. Also sometimes balconies are tiered or something so some are bigger, and it is not always the higher category that might be bigger. Some might be angled or something like that.

Basically though there is no difference in the categories you mentioned other than the deck they are on.

Thanks for the info:)

I think also, in addition to the deck, it's where they are. For example, cabins in the middle of the deck are usually a higher category because there is usually less movement in this area (fore and aft tend to gou up and down more).

Actually...some of them have balconies, but depending on where your cabin is the balcony can be larger or smaller than "average". For example, balconies on the aft of the ship are longer. Some balconies along the side where the window cleaning rigging is, are slightly smaller.

Floor space varies a bit too, so be sure to check on that.

The major reason, as mentioned above is location. Once you have a cabin picked that you think you like...check out what is ABOVE and BELOW you.

A balcony way forward on the top deck sounds marvelous, until you discover you are under the aerobics room in the gym. And their classes of people jumping up and down start at 7am.

A balcony mid ship, at any deck that is above the promenade just outside the nightclub is gonna be LOUD at 10pm to 2am when the partying smokers step outside (keeping the door open) to smoke. My friends never smelled any smoke, but their laughing and loud voices kept them up all night.

Location, location, location.

I know that some balconies are sheltered on the Jewel Class Ships (BD Cat - hole cut in steel instead of a fully open balcony). Would be great for Alaska but maybe not as much for Caribbean out of Miami type of cruise.

I learnt that when I got a great upsell. Check this thread (with pictures) for more details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=962141

I don’t know about that on the Sun but I would double check with my TA or NCL when I book.

thanks for the info... the "in-hull" balcony would not be my first choice, but that won't be an issue in this case... thanks everyone!! :D

Yep...nor do you want a balcony that half of a lifeboat is hanging in.

Ohhh... how can we tell if it's one of those then?

Look at the deck plan. And see if the lifeboats are blocking your view or not. There are other websites that give cruise deck plan layouts as well. You should be able to click on your cabin on the layout and it will say "obstructred view" or "partially obstructed view". To be 100% certain, call your TA or PCC. :D

See you on board!

Look at the deck plan. And see if the lifeboats are blocking your view or not. There are other websites that give cruise deck plan layouts as well. You should be able to click on your cabin on the layout and it will say "obstructred view" or "partially obstructed view". To be 100% certain, call your TA or PCC. :D

See you on board!

I don't know of any NCL ship that has an obstructed balcony due to lifeboats. Only ocean view cabins are blocked that I am aware of.

A balcony mid ship, at any deck that is above the promenade just outside the nightclub is gonna be LOUD at 10pm to 2am when the partying smokers step outside (keeping the door open) to smoke. My friends never smelled any smoke, but their laughing and loud voices kept them up all night.

That once happened to me aboard the Pearl. A loud group of smokers (I could smell the smoke on my balcony) decided to have a "sing-along" on the promenade just outside of the Bliss nightclub two decks below my balcony at about 1:30 AM. I thought it was more funny than anything else. However, had it happened more than once, I would not have been pleased. :-(

Here is a picture of a sign that is posted on the promenade right outside the door where they were standing:

1889166562_Panama0908500(Medium).jpg.9324f0ad7ca0894c766a75d9b560d32b.jpg

That once happened to me aboard the Pearl. A loud group of smokers (I could smell the smoke on my balcony) decided to have a "sing-along" on the promenade just outside of the Bliss nightclub two decks below my balcony at about 1:30 AM. I thought it was more funny than anything else. However, had it happened more than once, I would not have been pleased. :-(

Here is a picture of a sign that is posted on the promenade right outside the door where they were standing:

Oh yes the sign is there...but partying folks at night in the dark can't read. :D

Archived