Westerdam Embarks Seattle at 1:00?

Hi,

DH and I are leaving this Sunday on the Westerdam. Docs say embark is at 1:00. We have always been able to start embarking at 11:00 to 11:30 in the past, but have not left from Seattle before. What time would you advise arriving at Pier 91? Do you think we will be able to "line up" and board earlier? We have a car scheduled to pick us up from our downtown hotel at 10:00. Do we need to change this to later? We would appreciate any advice from all of you more experienced Seattle cruisers.

Carol

Every cruise I have ever been on, the docs say boarding at 1:00. We usually go early and hope they start boarding early, they usually do if possible. 10:00 is probably a bit early, but I would go around 11:00-11:30. jmho:)

I'm leaving on the same cruise a week later than the OP, and had the same question. From everything I've read on these boards, it sounds like boarding starts at 11:30, but if someone can confirm for this trip, that would be great.

I'm also hearing that clearing security at Pier 91 is a challenge. We're planning to get there around 10:45 so we can beat the rush. Hopefully we'll be some of the first people on the boat. This is our first HAL cruise, and we have Neptune Lounge access for our carry-ons, so we want time to wander the ship.

A 10 AM pick-up time from your hotel may just get you to the pier early if you are coming from a downtown hotel -- if you are coming from the airport area -- that time is fine.

The security lines will be the biggest delay at this pier -- they just don't have their act together yet at this new pier -- they need to do a lot of tweeking to straightened out everything.

Boarding will begin around 11:30 AM.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like boarding begins around 11:30. I just found out that there is a large folk festival with thousands of people this same weekend near the Seattle Center which I believe is in the same general area of Pier 91. Hopefully this does not compound the traffic into and out of pier 91 as it sounds like it is already a problem area.

Carol

Thanks everyone. Sounds like boarding begins around 11:30. I just found out that there is a large folk festival with thousands of people this same weekend near the Seattle Center which I believe is in the same general area of Pier 91. Hopefully this does not compound the traffic into and out of pier 91 as it sounds like it is already a problem area.

Carol

Luckily its not in the same area. I'll be on that ship too, are you coming to the meet and greet? There is a role call thread on here. Would love to meet you!

Luckily its not in the same area. I'll be on that ship too, are you coming to the meet and greet? There is a role call thread on here. Would love to meet you!

No, The Folklife Festival is not taking place in the same area, but it's at Seattle Center, which is on the way to Pier 91. Expect extra traffic and congestion. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Hopefully, if you can get to Pier 91 by 11 am, you will avoid the heaviest Folklife crowds, which tend to pick up in the afternoon.

No, The Folklife Festival is not taking place in the same area, but it's at Seattle Center, which is on the way to Pier 91. Expect extra traffic and congestion. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Hopefully, if you can get to Pier 91 by 11 am, you will avoid the heaviest Folklife crowds, which tend to pick up in the afternoon.

Would this be in the same traffice pattern from the Renaissance on Madison to the pier? We are on the same cruise.

Would this be in the same traffice pattern from the Renaissance on Madison to the pier? We are on the same cruise.

No, from the Mariott Renaissance to Pier 91 would take you a different route, closer along the waterfront. However, there will be more traffic downtown in general this weekend than usual, so just pack a little extra patience, in case. (I need to point out that I am a suburbanite, and don't venture often in downtown Seattle, so please don't take my observations as gospel truth). Bon Voyage, and have a wonderful cruise:)

The folklife festival shouldn't present a problem if you are comming from a downtown hotel or the airport.

However could be a bit of a delay due to traffic if your comming from a south Lake Union hotel like Courtyard by Marriot.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived