Sitka ATV whilst pregnant?

Boo Boo

We have a cruise coming up in late July (on Regent Mariner) and I am currently trying to decide on an excursion for Sitka and the ATV tour looks very appealing (especially to the husband). It seems to be the "standard" ATV tour: boat to kruzof island, then tour on Yamaha Rhino vehicle.

As a complication, we are currently trying to start a family (actually have been trying for over a year). I THINK that I may be JUST pregnant, but can't test for a few days (and don't want to get my hopes up). If I am, and the pregnancy proceeds ok, I would 12 weeks at the time of the cruise. If I am not pregnant, then there are still a couple of opportunities to be pregnant before then.

The (Regent's) description of the tour says the following:

"Please note: as the tour involves travel over bumpy surfaces, guests with back and/or neck problems and guests with limited mobility are discouraged from participating"

No mention of "pregnant women", but then Regent doesn't seem to write anything on any of their tours to discourage pregnant women (as opposed to Royal Caribbean who seem to discourage pregnant women doing anything - even blowing their noses ;) ).

Anyway, I may be putting the cart before the horse, but is the Sitka ATV unsuitable for pregnant women?

Thanks

Boo

It is your choice. If it were an absolute a danger to you and the baby then they wouldn't allow it (i.e. scuba and cruising past 6 months).

You can always book it now and then if you are indeed pregnant, decided later on how comfortable you feel about it. For the first 4 months or so, your body is a giant "water bag" cushion for the baby and very little externally can affect the wee one. That said, there are always "what ifs" that you have to decide personally.

People can flame me but I have skied and rode in an ATV (the bigger type like a golf cart WITH seatbelts and roll bars) both while pregnant, activities I do while not pregnant also. I was no more than 3-4 months pregnant mind you.

For myself it depended on how far along I was and of course the safety level at which I could do the activity. I am an excellent skier and stuck to the green and easy blues with my husband (ski patrol) to watch out for the "other guys". I rode the ATV around the forest "sight seeing", no big hills, no speeding, no ditches, etc.

I did very little with my first child but by the second I was a little more relaxed and knew what my pregnant body should feel like and what limits I had. I choose to "enjoy" myself more the second time around I guess ;) as parenting is HARD but the best!

I'd ask a doctor. Here is my opinion, though: DH and I have been trying for 2 1/2 years and if I was pregnant right now or even 12 weeks at our cruise, there is no way I would get on an ATV. I would be too afraid after trying this long that something would happen to the baby.

Most excursions allow you to cancel with full refund 5 days before sailing. So you could book now and if not pregnant 5 days before sailing go have an excellent ATV adventure.

However, if this is your 1st pregnancy, there's no telling what might happen even if you're not that far along. Why take a chance? Rollercosters all have warnings and I imagine a bumpy ATV ride would be way more damaging than a 30 second rollercoaster ride.

Everyone has a different body chemistry and baby making ability. You don't know yours yet until you have the first. Depending on how that goes, then maybe by the second you'll be out ATVing at 4 months along.

Good luck either way!

Thank you for all of your replies and concern. Mevers, I admire you, thank you for sharing :)

Can I check - has anyone actually done this tour?

Although I don't want to take risks, I want to check that a risk actually is - from someone who has done the tour. Since there is a risk in everything we do (whilst pregnant or not pregnant), it about seeing whether there is a risk here. I cannot stay wrapped in cotton-wool for 9 months (I know that some people believe that travelling at all, whilst pregnant, is plain wrong)

Boo

Although I don't want to take risks, I want to check that a risk actually is - from someone who has done the tour.

You're looking for a precise answer from a group who, not being medical professionals, cannot possibly give one.

Since there is a risk in everything we do (whilst pregnant or not pregnant), it about seeing whether there is a risk here.

There is a risk, it's up to you to accept it or not.

You are not in control of the ATV tour. You won't know how rough it is until you are there. It isn't like it was your own land and your own ATV and you had control of the speed and terrain. Even if someone was on the tour this week advised you of the conditions, the course will be different by your trip because trails change, paths move because of fallen trees, potholes and washboard appear, tails suddnely become slippery because of rain.

First trimester misscarriages are so common. Would any ATV ride cause a miscarriage? Almost certainy not, your tiny baby truly is incrediably well protected. However if you did have a miscarriage after taking an rough ATV ride - how would you feel? Would you regret your choice? No, I'm not a medical professional, but I am a woman who spent many years trying to concieve and suffered several losses. So I do know what it is like to wonder "why" after every loss. :( Trying to conceive is stressful, you need to protect yourself emotionally perhaps even more than you do physically.

Boo,

On our ATV tour in Cozumel through RCI, I was really surprised how fast we could go. I expected that their would be some sort of govenors on the machines. The tour we took there would wait on everyone to catch up so those that lagged behind would hold up others if they were afraid to drive very fast. Not trying to persuade you either way, just trying to let you know that our tour there was more ruggage than I would have thought the cruise line would allow.

No mention of "pregnant women", but then Regent doesn't seem to write anything on any of their tours to discourage pregnant women (as opposed to Royal Caribbean who seem to discourage pregnant women doing anything - even blowing their noses ;) ).

In Cozumel they wouldn't let anyone ride a Segway over 50 years old, but allowed us to barrel through the jungle on an ATV... go figure.

Good luck becoming a mom!!

Well, if it helps, the RCCL shore excursion guide for Alaska lists an ATV excursion in Icy Strait Point, and in the guide it does specifically state that the tour isn't recommended for those with back/neck problems, and PREGNANT WOMEN. I'm thinking that an ATV is an ATV, so if one line specifically warns against it I would consider that advice to apply to any ATV excursions on any line, regardless of whether they specifically mention pregnancy or not.

You're correct that you can't wrap yourself in cotton wool for 9 months - but it's quite a leap from cotton wool to an ATV in the wilds of Alaska. I can't see any reason to take unnecessary risks when carrying such precious cargo.

As a former employee of the ATV Safety Institute, I can tell you many stories of why the non profit institute existed. I am also a mother of two, and listening to parents who lost their children while on an ATV will break your heart.

If you have to question whether to ride or not while pregnant, read the free literature the institute will mail to you, and the warning stickers all over the ATV's.

If you still feel the need to ride, please take the safety course they offer.

1 800-887-2887. It is a small fee, that can save your and your baby's life.

Too many people feel they are toys, not the powerful machines they are.

Good luck to you, and have a great trip.

Boo,

On our ATV tour in Cozumel through RCI, I was really surprised how fast we could go. I expected that their would be some sort of govenors on the machines. The tour we took there would wait on everyone to catch up so those that lagged behind would hold up others if they were afraid to drive very fast. Not trying to persuade you either way, just trying to let you know that our tour there was more ruggage than I would have thought the cruise line would allow.

In Cozumel they wouldn't let anyone ride a Segway over 50 years old, but allowed us to barrel through the jungle on an ATV... go figure.

Good luck becoming a mom!!

We also did this exact same tour in Cozumel and we were shocked at how fast they were. I thought there would be govenors as well. Also, it was unbelievable bumpy and rough-but lots of fun ;)

For the OP, I'm wondering why you would want to do this excursion in Sitka (I know, it's the husband). I've been there and IMO, there are better things to see and do, but of course I guess it depends on what your interests are. The sea otter and wildlife quest excursion is very popular and wouldn't pose a risk to you-plus it would still give you time to walk and tour the town. Whatever you decide on-good luck and take care.

Yes, we actually did the ATV tour in Sitka in 2006, and friends of ours did it last June. It IS quite bumpy, and rough going, particularly thru the rain forest portion. We got bounced around all over the place - loved it! but don't know if I'd risk it if I were pregnant. Certainly a personal decision. As a previous poster stated, book the tour, and if you're pregnant when you go on the cruise, cancel. If not, go and enjoy. Just be safe.

I created a similar thread a few months ago about whether to do the Denali park shuttles while pregnant. My doctor told me I can do most things - but stay away from bumpy/jerky kinds of things (plus the obvious no scuba, etc.). So I'm canceling the floatplane excursion I scheduled for Juneau and will play Denali by ear- if it's too bumpy, I'll get off at the first stop and make it a short day. I'm also on Regent and I believe you have to cancel 2 days prior- I am not sure if you are going northbound or southbound - if northbound, you should have time to cancel prior once you're on board but if southbound you may need to cancel before you embark since I think Sitka is the 3rd day (if you count embarkation as day 1). Good luck and I hope you are pg! I will be 20 weeks when I cruise and it's the first time I've made it past the first trimester (I had lots of previously undiagnosed issues which were treated so this pg has been complication-free :-)

One more thing - if you are pg, don't be surprised if you are suffering from nausea and/or vomiting at 12w. Mine lasted from 6-12 weeks and was still sticking around here and there up until 14w - all I wanted to do was sleep. Many women have it pretty bad even into 16w - so you may not be up for many excursions - or maybe you'll be lucky and have no sickness :). The Mariner is a wonderful ship with plenty of great places to relax, plus milder activities and whatnot during the days.

one more thing - specifically for Sitka, we had a hard time picking excursions as there are so many great active ones. We ended up, for that port only, splitting up. I'll be doing the sea kayaking (assuming I'm up to it - I did email the tour operator and it sounds very mild and I'm allowed to go if pg) and DH is doing the advanced bike ride. If I had lost the pg, we would probably have both done the volcano hike or the advanced bike ride. So if your husband really wants to ATV - you could always just have him do it and you hang on the ship or do a more mellow excursion. I always meet so many great people on the excursions it's not that big of a deal for me to do one without him - and I'm an introvert!

Thank you very much guys... I really appreciate your replies, ESPECIALLY Assateague Island Princes (since you have actually done the tour) and Jina (because you are in a very similar boat - ooops, bad pun there! ;) ).

I have done an ATV tour in Cozumel and remember how bumpy it was... if it is ANYTHING like that (and from what Assateague Island Princes says, it could be), then it is sadly unsuitable :(. That is a huge shame.

As an update - I tested positive (for pregnancy) this past Friday (said I thought that I might be - explains why this thread isn't too off the wall...). So I am just over 4 weeks pregnant now and will be 12 weeks pregnant on 18th July (cruise departs Seward on 22nd July) - we are cruising Southbound. OBVIOUSLY this is SUCH an early stage (and I lost my last pregnancy to early miscarriage in mid-March), that a lot can change by then...

I am a bit stuck for Sitka then - to be honest, the excursions available at that port seem the least appealing... Jina, I was THINKING of the kayaking, but am just so uncertain how I will feel then... I am physically fit (go to the gym 4/5 times a week and do Pilates on top of that) and have been advised to "carry on as normal" (providing nothing hurts or feels wrong), so kayaking SHOULD be feasible. But whether I will be too tired OR the "bobbing" of the kayak will get me is a different matter...

Jina, which cruise are you on?

Boo

Thank you very much guys... I really appreciate your replies, ESPECIALLY Assateague Island Princes (since you have actually done the tour) and Jina (because you are in a very similar boat - ooops, bad pun there! ;) ).

I have done an ATV tour in Cozumel and remember how bumpy it was... if it is ANYTHING like that (and from what Assateague Island Princes says, it could be), then it is sadly unsuitable :(. That is a huge shame.

As an update - I tested positive (for pregnancy) this past Friday (said I thought that I might be - explains why this thread isn't too off the wall...). So I am just over 4 weeks pregnant now and will be 12 weeks pregnant on 18th July (cruise departs Seward on 22nd July) - we are cruising Southbound. OBVIOUSLY this is SUCH an early stage (and I lost my last pregnancy to early miscarriage in mid-March), that a lot can change by then...

I am a bit stuck for Sitka then - to be honest, the excursions available at that port seem the least appealing... Jina, I was THINKING of the kayaking, but am just so uncertain how I will feel then... I am physically fit (go to the gym 4/5 times a week and do Pilates on top of that) and have been advised to "carry on as normal" (providing nothing hurts or feels wrong), so kayaking SHOULD be feasible. But whether I will be too tired OR the "bobbing" of the kayak will get me is a different matter...

Jina, which cruise are you on?

Boo

Congratulations! I'm super excited for you. I hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy and that you feel great for your cruise! You could consider just relaxing on the ship that day - nice and quite with everyone else in port, might be a wonderful day.

Congratulations, Boo!! Very happy for you:p and hope all is well. Sorry you will be missing the 4X4 excursion, as it was a great time, BUT you've got a "young-un" to think about, so it will just give you one more reason to go back to Alaska and do it when the wee one is older and can go along! Sitka is by far our favorite AK port. Its so picturesque, the scenery is stunning, and it isn't "touristy" like Ketchikan or some of the other ports. Its a great place to walk around the town itself, maybe take a bus or cab out to the Raptor Center - really enjoyed that as well. Getting up close and personal to those majestic eagles is really something! You could also to to the Totem Parks, which we haven't been to yet, but are looking forward to seeing next June if time permits and we don't find a more adventuresome excursion to do by then! Last year, when we were in Sitka for the second time, we too did the sea kayaking, and it was wonderful! The ride over to the floating base camp on a Zodiac however, was QUITE bumpy....just something to think about. Whatever you choose to do, even if its just walking around town, you won't be disappointed with Sitka. It is truly heaven on earth - my dear husband wants to move there (and truthfully, with just a bit of coaxing, I could easily be persuaded!). LOL!

Congratulations! I'm super excited for you. I hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy and that you feel great for your cruise! You could consider just relaxing on the ship that day - nice and quite with everyone else in port, might be a wonderful day.

Thank you very much - I hope so too.

You could be right - we have a very packed itinerary...

- fly from the UK to LA on 17th July, spend 3 days with the in-laws in the suburbs.

- fly into Anchorage (from LA) on 21st.

- take train from Anchorage to Seward on 22nd

- Hubbard Glacrier cruising (on the Mariner) on 23rd.

- No plans for Sitka on 24th.

- Tracey Arm Catamoran on morning of 25th.

- Helicopter tour of the glaciers on the afternoon of the 25th.

- White Pass Railway and Gold dredging on the 26th.

- George Inlet Cruise and Crab Feat on 27th.

- Day at Sea on 28th.

- Dissembark on 29th followed by one night in Vancouver (would like to do some sight-seeing here).

- Fly home to UK on 30th.

I am very tempted to leave Sitka and see how things are closer to the time. I will also play every day by ear and - if I am too tired - we will cancel the day's excursion.... I would love to make the most of it, but don't want to wear myself out either.

Boo

Archived