overnight in San Juan?

capncarp

My co-worker (who isn't a Cruise Critic member) is cruising this fall; her itinerary takes her to San Juan, docking at 10pm on Tuesday and sailing away 11:30 am Wednesday.:eek:

What can be seen that late/early?

Good places to have (local) breakfast?

Anything open late/all night?

Taxi service available?

Potentially dangerous areas to avoid?

Old San Juan is perfectly safe at night - no dramas there. I'd recommend having a walk around the main part of the old town. I'd hit a couple of the bars on Calle Forteleza - Fratelli is our fav (absolutely fab mojitos). Dinner is also really good there (lamb risotto excellent).

If they got up early enough the next day they could visit the El Morro Fortress pretty cool. I'd suggest an early start and then walk up there (should take around 20 to 30 minutes) through the Old Town (past the cathedral) and then a hour or so to look around and then cab it back (although it would be downhill). Not sure what time it opens - check it out at http://www.nps.gov

Puerto Rico and San Juan was one of the highlights of our trip - we spent a week there before getting on our cruise. I can throughly recommend a trip to Vieques - best beaches in the Caribbean (and totally unspoilt).

Archived