Interesting Concept ~ Cruising vs. Assisted Living

HeatherInFlorida

Hi Chef Nancy! I have no additional ideas for you, but I will tell you this: When the time eventually comes, and if I can't be on a cruiseship for the rest of my life:D , I'm moving on up to Ohio and straight into one of your facilities! It sounds amazing.

With my 92 year old Mom living in a senior retirement facility in CT which I hasten to say is absolutely lovely, I'm keenly aware of the meals provided there. Every week she goes to a meeting with the Chef and while they listen intently, little is done to improve the foods that are brought in by a mass provider. They do, however, make some wonderful desserts and soups, have tablecloths, and other warm touches.

But I admire all the little touches you speak of that make it feel as much "like home" as possible. Good for you and your colleagues! This country is mostly shameful in taking care of its elderly and since we're all (prayerfully) going to get there one day, we should be more respectful and caring about a very difficult time in their lives.

Chef Nancy......

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your efforts to make the seniors in your facilities meals they can actually enjoy. For most of us, most of our lives, food and the sharing of meals with those we love are among the most enjoyable experiences of our day to day lives. I love hearing you try to keep that experience a possibility for those in your care.

Blessings on you for your kindness and empathy.

I am touched by the kindness of your comments......and while I sometimes may not share the affectations of others toward the "younger set", I am extremely fond of our senior citizens! I am fortunate to have a very commited staff in each and every one of our facilities. And although they may sometimes feel that the things I put into place are not as easy for them...they love the fact that the residents and their families are happier with our changes! Basically my goal is to make mealtime more popular than BINGO!!:D Is that possible?????????? Chef Nancy:)

Archived