Victoria - Whale Watch so, so review

We were on the RCL Mariner H1N1 change from Mexico to a Pacific coast cruise.

I reserved for a party of 20 with Prince of Whales. The staff and driver were just great but the weather was not. They picked us up at the pier and we had enough time to go over to see the Empress Hotel.

Here is my warning. The regular boats only hold 50 people inside the rest 20+ were outside. Their website shows the boats are open on the sides (they have a plastic curtain). They also provided outerwear suits for those up top. We all knew to dress warm but not for outside boat conditions.

It was cold, windy and raining on May 13th, 2009.

I was never told after many emails that not everyone would be inside...with a heater mind you.

The hull is aluminum and you feel every big slam/bump when she crossed the currents. I have been on many whale watching trips this is a first for me when everyone could not be inside, if they choose. I spent a lot of time on the poop deck which could hold about 10 or so and it was great out there. But up on top..... way too exposed.

And no, we did not see any Orca's but the trip before did. So we lucked out all away around.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you talk to anyone who did the whale watch offered through RCCL? And - the important question ;) - did the boat have a restroom on it (yours and the boat that RCCL uses)?

No don't know anything about RCCL whale watch. We booked it on our own. Yes Restroom.

If you look at all the tours in Victoria that seem to have the same type of boat. In the summer this type of boat would be great. Lots of open areas.

Archived