Muster Drills and Fitness Suite-LOS

Good Day All,

I understand that a muster drill is a practice run that all passengers take part in to understand what to do should a major incident arise on Board. I myself am a virgin cruiser and could someone kindly advise me as what to expect in a muster drill.

When does in happen, how will I know etc, what does one do??

Im travelling with my elder mother, she has been on one RCI cruise before but when i asked her she said she couldnt quite remember what happened? Bless :)

Also - is the fitness centre open all day (and night) Im an avid runner and I like to do my training runs and weight training and if Mum takes her evening naps I might get an evening training session in. I understand Liberty of the Seas has a jogging track somewhere - is this also available all day?

Many thanks

Muster is always done late on the first day - once most have boarded, but before you have set sail. Before the ship leaves port, every person must bring their life jacket to the life boat deck. Your life jacket will be in your room, most likely lying on your bed, and you will be told when you board exactly when and where to go.

Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) must line up next to their appointed life boat. Your life boat is indicated on your life jacket. The crew checks off the names to make sure everyone has shown up. The purpose is to ensure everyone knows where to go in the event of an emergency.

You literally do not do anything other than put on your life jacket, and stand there. The only real down side is that 1) some people drag their feet, so you are all standing there longer than necessary while waiting for them, and 2) all lined up like that with your life preserver on gets kind of warm. You might take a bottle of water with you if you think you might be overly warm. Also, if you think you might need extra time for whatever reason, I would even head there early so you are not rushed.

After that, they release you, and everyone resumes their party. :)

As for the gym, I believe it is open 24/7. If not, it is only closed for a few hours overnight/in the wee hours of the morning. The running track is on the top deck and is open all day. You'll find a lot of people up there first thing in the morning, before it gets busy with sunbathers.

BTW - the gym on LOS is state-of-the-art. It is gorgeous, with beautiful panoramic views of the sea. You will love it!

Does anyone know what kind of fitness 'incentive' program there is now? You know how they used to have the fit dollars you can collect? Just curious if they still have anything like that.

Good Day All,

I understand that a muster drill is a practice run that all passengers take part in to understand what to do should a major incident arise on Board. I myself am a virgin cruiser and could someone kindly advise me as what to expect in a muster drill.

When does in happen, how will I know etc, what does one do??

Im travelling with my elder mother, she has been on one RCI cruise before but when i asked her she said she couldnt quite remember what happened? Bless :)

Also - is the fitness centre open all day (and night) Im an avid runner and I like to do my training runs and weight training and if Mum takes her evening naps I might get an evening training session in. I understand Liberty of the Seas has a jogging track somewhere - is this also available all day?

Many thanks

Trying to answer what has not been addressed so far. Once you get to your cabin the TV will show all the safety procedures and what to do at Muster Drill. Your Muster station and escape route is on the back of your cabin door. THe Muster station is also noted on your Seapass card and the life vests in your cabin.

The time of the Muster drill is noted in the Compass (The daily program you´ll find on your bed). About half an hour before the drill the Cruise Director will announce a reminder about the upcoming drill. It will be repeated 15 minutes before the drill. The drill will start with the general emergency signal (7 short and 1 long blast) you won´t miss it.;)

As I´m not a visitor of the fitness center I had to review some okd Compasses and the Fitness Center is not open 24/7. It opens mostly around 6am and closes somewhere between 9pm-midnight. (This is what it has been on my cruises according to the Compasses).

The Jogging track is on the open deck and there´s no opening hours, however of course open decks might get closed due to inclement weather.

Thanks ever so much for your quick replies. Very much appreciated.

The gym sounds fantastic so I will be in there every morning and hopefully get an evening run in to.

Calories in versus calories out

(and im planning on taking plenty calories in!!:) )

The muster drill is really the first activity once you get on board. Usually around 30 minutes before the ship sets sail. There will be a sign on the inside of your cabin door explaining safety information and your Muster Station. There will be announcements over the P/A saying when the drill is and giving some information about it. When the muster drill starts you will her seven short blasts and one long blast on the ships bells (they arent actually bells but rather electronic fire alarms, this pattern of sound is the international signal for abandon ship) as well as on the ship's whistles. You will make your way to your muster station with your life jackets on, the head of your station will take roll call and over the PA you will hear safety information in English and Spanish. Then you're all done!

This drill is MANDATORY by law as im sure you know and really isn't as bad as people say.

As far as the fitness center goes im 95% sure it's open all day.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived