Punta Sur Jeep and Snorkel in Cozumel - age requirements?

supercrunch

We will be sailing on the Legend in November and we had planned to do the Jeep and Snorkel at Punta Sur excursion.

I noticed that it said that the minimum age to snorkel is 8 years old...but my kids and I are not strong swimmers, so we had just planned to hang out on the beach and wait for dh to snorkel.

However...when I try to book the excursion online, it will let us add our 8 year old, but not our 5 year old.

Is there a complete exclusion of anyone under 8? (rather than just exclusion from the snorkel portion as mentioned in the description)

Has anyone been able to book this with kids under 8?

We will be sailing on the Legend in November and we had planned to do the Jeep and Snorkel at Punta Sur excursion.

I noticed that it said that the minimum age to snorkel is 8 years old...but my kids and I are not strong swimmers, so we had just planned to hang out on the beach and wait for dh to snorkel.

However...when I try to book the excursion online, it will let us add our 8 year old, but not our 5 year old.

Is there a complete exclusion of anyone under 8? (rather than just exclusion from the snorkel portion as mentioned in the description)

Has anyone been able to book this with kids under 8?

There was another poster in a different thread whos child is just under 8 years old and too falls below the minimum age requirement.... so I guess theres your answer. Under 8 years of age.... NO SHORE EXCURSION unless of course you can find a local tour operator that offers the same at possibly a lower price and will waive the age requirements. But if you and the kids are not strong swimmers....I sure wouldn't be snorkelling in open waters.

But if you are going to just go and play on the beach.... why not just let hubby book the tour for himself and not the rest of you ? Unless I am missing something here, can't you go to the same beach and let the kids play since they are not strong swimmers ? :confused::confused::confused:

I was just curious because of the wording.

Many shore excursions state "minimum age X"

However, this one only states that "minimum age to snorkel is 8"

Since there are many components to this excursion (a trip through Punta Sur eco park with a visit to a lighthouse, mayan ruins, saltwater crocodiles, etc) and since it states in the description that people who are not strong swimmers should forego the snorkeling because there is a long swim out to the reef...It sounded to me like anyone could book, but younger children were not allowed to snorkel...but I guess that is not the case. Carnival could have been more specific and stated a standard minimum age.

Other operators for similar tours have the same price and a minimum age of 4 with the same "8 years old to snorkel" requirement...but I would have much rather booked through Carnival since it's a 5.5 hour excursion and I don't want to have to worry about missing the ship.

Oh...and I'm definitely not comfortable finding my way around Cozumel on my own with 2 kids without dh or a scheduled excursion group.

I would suggest that you call the Carnival Shore Excursion number and discuss your problem with them. If you explain that you and the kids do not plan to snorkel, I don't see how it would be a problem for the 5 yr. old to go. We took this excursion 2 years ago, and there were several family members who stayed on the beach while others snorkeled. It IS a long distance to snorkel, and you would not want to do that with young children. There are lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach. However, there is nothing else about the excursion that would cause a problem for your 5 yr. old. But, just so you'll know....you will view the (one) salt water croc from your jeep. Still, this was one of our all time favorite excursions. I hope you can do it!

Archived