4 Caribbean Cruises - can't choose; advice please

seacrcsvz

We are planning on a Caribbean cruise in October when our kids have a week off school, but can't decide between 4! How do you narrow it down. If anyone has been and can shed some light on this, I would be most appreciative. We are a family of five, three boys ages 2, 4, and 7, travelling with the in-laws. Not sure if the youngest will be toilet trained by then or not.

Emerald Princess - Eastern Carribean: Ft Lauderdale - Bahamas, St Maarten, St Thomas, and Grand Turk

Carnival Glory- Western Caribbean: Orlando- Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Nassau

Carnival Valor- Western Caribbean: Miami- Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, Grand cayman

Carnival Liberty- Eastern Caribbean: ?Miami- Bahamas, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

I'm worried about the Glory and Valor having two stops in Mexico (swine flu might have blown over by then, but still).

I prefer the ports of call of the Emerald Princess and the Carnival Liberty, but with hurrican season, don't want to plan solely based on the ports.

I don't like that the Princess kids club doesn't start till age 3, but don't like that the Carnival line seperates my eldest from his brothers (he might be happy to go off on his own, but he also might protest and then we are entertaining him the entire time).

Not sure about the dining on the Carnival - it sounds like if we don't go to the dining room, our options are limited to snack type foods.

Prefer the Miami port over the others, but Fort Lauderdale is definatley better than Orlando.

So, I'm left debating what to do? I need to book this week or my agent won't hold my tickets for me (and they are an amazing deal). Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Hi. I have travelled with my three sons on several cruises. When my youngest was three we went on the Glory to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Nassau. We did Paradise Beach in Cozumel. We've now done that as a family 3 different times and it is one my kids favorite spot. We did horseback riding in Costa Maya and they allowed the 3 year old to ride with my husband. He loved it and still remembers it. We snorkeled shark ray alley in Belize. The guides were great and while he really couldn't snorkel, he loved seeing all the stingrays. In Nassau, we did a horse carriage ride around Nassau and the straw market. Camp Carnival is wonderful and my kids LOVE it.

My kids have also done the Eastern Caribbean with us on the Triumph but they unanimously agree that they prefer the Western itineraries. Hope this helps.

Also, Carnival offers a huge dinner buffet that offers much more than snack food if you choose not to dine in the main dining room. They also have a fish and chips place, deli, 24hr. pizzeria, and hamburger/hotdog grill. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Valor

I have children similar ages. On Carnival your youngest can be part of Camp Carnival whether potty trained or not (just provide them diapers). So is your youngest going to want to be in camp like big brothers? Or do you think your oldest will have an issue having to do activities away from lil' bros?

Only you know your kids.

Our last cruise our youngest was only 15 months and couldnt be in camp.

We chose Carnival for our next cruise (again) because our youngest will be 2.5 yo and can do some activities. I know she would NOT be happy if she saw big brothers going into a "play" area and not being allowed in.

Our oldest loves being with his siblings. But hes also used to be in school all day and with kids his own age. Also our 4yo is used to big bro doing things he cant so them being seperated isnt a huge deal for us. I find they get along better after being apart for a bit in an overstimulating new place. :)

We do all meals together and shore excursions together.

I would say go with Carnival as well, especially since your 2 year old won't be able to participate in Princess kids' programs until they're 3. Even if they are divided up a little bit at Camp Carnival, each kid will have fun (I believe your 2 and 4 year old would be together) and you will get to have "'adult" time too.

Archived