Carnival Fantasy 5-9 (originally 5-11) Swine Flu Scare 7 day cruise

NolaZach

In Nassau harbor, there was this giant Yacht. One of the largest in the world at 370 feet. It was very impressive, and while I did see Paul Allens Yacht in New Orleans a few weeks ago, this one just had some neat features, such as a very large sailing yacht and a speedboat piggy-backed on the aft deck. On top of that it had several jet-skis and smaller boats on the forward deck. The hot-tubs and a large crew.

Now that must be cruising.

zachscameracarnivalcrui.jpg

So when you get to Nassau, you walk down a long pier and go into a building, which houses customs, a police station, a post office and a flea market. When you walk out the door you enter the Gauntlet

The man in the background has clearly locked on to us.

vickiscameracarnivalcruz.jpg

These are mostly cab-drivers and if you tell the first one no, the second one is already starting to ask you. Once you get past the cab-drivers you pass the scooter-guys, who get into each others face and argue constantly and try to take deals away from each other. Then once you get past them you get to the water taxi people. Then the hair-braiders, and finally the drug dealers. (well I was only approached twice, and they were not too pushy, but I did find it funny that it was crack and coke they were trying to push, I would think a crack-had wouldn't be a likely cruiser)

But once you get past all that you have shops on the left and the view on the right. We decided to walk to the "famous fish fry" at Junkaboo beach. It was good, had some fried grouper and some drum cooked in butter wrapped in foil with Jerk spices. Very good and cheap, the locals here told us of the seafood mart under the big bridge so we checked that out later and were less impressed. Had some good choices, but we were swamped by panhandlers, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't think they could deal with that.

I had heard bad things about lighthouse beach. Though I didn't see the lighthouse beach I read about.

I saw this:

vickiscameracarnivalcru.jpg

There was a private beach at the Hilton adjancent to this beach.

We didn't run across pushy drug dealers here, but did get the common Hair-braiding women and necklace vendors. It wasn't bad, and there was a life guard on duty, and there were changing rooms and the beach was clean. Sure there was some seaweed, but this In my opinon beats paying $165 to go to a beach (from what I heard still had hair-braiders and vendors)

vickiscameracarnivalcruq.jpg

The beach wasn't crowded at 9am, it wasn't crowded at 2:30pm and it wasn't crowded at 5pm. It was perfect and close to the boat. I couldn't believe all the bad I had heard about it, maybe some people just have different expectations and opinions on what a nice beach is. I am sure I had just as much fun and saved some $$$ in the process and didn't have crowds to deal with.

vickiscameracarnivalcruh.jpg

Here is the Parliment building, I thought it was cool.

vickiscameracarnivalcrul.jpg

For the excursion we did the clear kayak/ snorkel combo. Now I liked the clear kayaks, but we had to stay above the reef, we couldn't really go out on our own, and it was one stationary spot, unlike the last Kayak excursion. So you have the option to get out the kayak at any time and snorkel.

The snorkeling was probably the best I have ever done, but I haven't done much. The boat ride out was nice, we passed by Oprah's house, and Anna Nicole Smiths house, as well as Micheal Jordan and Tiger Wood's summer homes. Then we passed the "blue lagoon island" from the Movie and "Gilligan's Island". Then we stopped by this nice inhabited private island and got in the water.

020hxv.jpg

086zck.jpg

They gave us some fish food, and then we were swamped by the fishes. I had more fun snorkeling here than I did kayaking. This place also does the "power-snorkeling" excursion. In fact they were on the same boat, and it was cool how fast they moved around.

064x.jpg

We were told we might see Lion Fish, which were rare and valued by high end aquarium owners. I do remember that these things can seriously hurt you with their poison barbs.

2321.jpg

Here I am diving down to look at something closer.

1715p.jpg

After this, we headed back to town to go shopping, and then I made my worst choice of this trip. I rented a scooter and decided to get on the road, with some of the worst drivers in the world. Look at the cars in the Bahamas, they are all wrecked on at least one side. Should have took that into consideration.

Wonderful pictures!! So how did you do driving in the Bahamas??

I survived, but I found that the drivers there have no sense of "rules of the road", If you are on a little moped, they try and "push" you to the side. If you don't stay in the center of the road they try and pass you. I would feel much better in a car. I wonder if they even have driver's licenses there, because the drivers are horrible. Oh and again I forgot to finish this, but I didn't put review in the title, so it doesn't get much looks (by this sites standards)

NolaZach -

What a great review. For a first time cruiser you are remembering all the details. Most of the time people are so overwhelmed they forget the little things. You are doing a super job. I can't wait to hear the rest.

Please don't leave us. Also, you talked about posting the Capers. If you are able, please do. I loved to read these before I cruise so I can plan my days and nights. They are usually very hard to come by.

Thanks, Chris

Archived