Powder pedialyte?

elvo73

I've been reading this forum and I find out about the pedialyte in powder. I went to all the pharmacies close by and they told me is not available at all in powder.

I'm wondering if the same medicine goes under a different name.

Thanks

Per Abbot's Pedialyte Web site: http://pedialyte.com/products.aspx?section=2. Pedialyte is available in litres, single serve, or "pops" -- no powder. In their FAQ's they explain::

Why is it NOT a good idea to mix Pedialyte with other fluids?

Pedialyte contains appropriate and balanced amounts of sugars and electrolytes in a particular quantity of fluid. This formulation is important for maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance in children who have abnormal losses, such as can happen with diarrhea. If other fluids are added, the quantities and ratios of electrolytes and sugars per volume may be altered, making the product less effective. Additionally, the osmolality of the product may be increased by adding other sweetened fluids - which could worsen the diarrhea. Thus, no other fluids should be mixed with Pedialyte unless recommended by a healthcare professional.

So it sounds like your Rx are correct. In looking at WebMD and other similar sites, it appears that most of the commercial Pedialyte-type products have similar warnings -- the balance of ingredients is important.

Gerber made a powdered product called LiquiLytes which is what I refer to when I say "powdered pedialyte". Excuse me for mixing up my brand names. Unfortunately, I'm afraid they no longer make it. It isn't on their website and a google search came up empty handed.

I did find this but haven't used it personally:

http://www.pediapop.com/?gclid=COed78rU2poCFSMeDQodfxIS2w

You might also check with your child's MD to see if you could use gatorade, which also replaces electrolytes, for your child. This comes in powder form. Happy cruising:D

Archived