Doubletree Surfcomber, The Raleigh or Newport Beach Resort

gracie65

We are flying in a day early to FLL but ship leaves from Miami. I am using SAS for transport but having trouble deciding between these three hotels.

This will be myself, DH & DS age 9. We also have another couple going & they have decided on The Raleigh but doesn't look like they have rooms at the same rate they got to accommodate 3 people.

The Newport is only 131.00 (In Sunny Isles) & Doubletree is 229.00. I know The Doubletree is a bit closer to the action(and just a few doors from the Raleigh in case it won't accommodate 3 people in a room) but is it worth the extra $100.00 for the night?

Our flight gets to FLL at 9:45am so we'll have time to enjoy the day at the pool or beach.

Blue Herons, what do you think???? You are so great with this kind of advice.

This is the deal with South Beach hotels: because they were built in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, the rooms are tiny. While the hotels have been upgraded and refurbished, the rooms are still tiny. Very few hotels have reconfigured the room size.

That said, a standard hotel room in South Beach is a room with ONE double bed. A room with two beds is an upgrade. Most South Beach hotel rooms cannot fit a rollaway. I actually spent a weekend in South Beach with two girlfriends and the three of us squeezed into a double bed.

The Raleigh is a fantastic hotel.

You are going to have the best luck with the Doubletree Surfcomber. Yes, it is worth the extra $100.

The Newport is nowhere near South Beach and an expensive cab ride.

FWIW, the Raleigh has a really cool pool.

I already have SAS reserved from FLL to the Newport (12.00pp) then the next day Newport to port of Miami (10.00pp) I'm sure since The Doubletree is more south it should cost a little more to get from FLL to hotel but a little less or about the same going Doubletree to port.

I guess I'm asking not considering really that they aren't close to each other do you feel the Doubletree is worth the higher rate as compared to The Newport? I did reserve a room at The Doubletree with 2 double beds on a credit card hold at 229.00 & have an ocean front one bedroom suite at The Newport for 131.00. The Raleigh may not be an option because it may not hold the three of us. I did see king beds there & the three of us could all sleep in a king if we had to. DH is 6'2 & my 9 year old DS is 5'2 so both big boys.

I know the Raleigh has an aweome pool but in your opinion is it a $100.00 better for one night & are both The Doubletree & The Raleigh suitable for a 9 year old?

Thanks!!!

You know South Beach is a topless beach right?

Yes, I would spend the extra $100 to stay at The Doubletree. I wouldn't want to spend that for a king at The Raleigh because I wouldn't sleep well.

It is worth the extra money to stay at the Doubletree.

Did you check prices at The Marseilles and The South Seas?

A cab would be less than $20 to the port from South Beach.

No, I don't think I knew South Beach was topless. I guess I knew almost anything goes though!!!LOL. We are also visiting Orient Beach on this trip & I've already started preparing my son for what is possible.

There would be 5 of us so I think SAS would be better then a cab. I don't think our luggage would all fit in a cab unless it were one of the vans.

I'll check out the other two places. I know South Seas is real close to The Raleigh, is the other one as well?

How did you do at Cooper River? I can't remember if I asked you that already on another thread or not!!!LOL

Just checked the other two places. Doubletree rates are better & it looks nicer. If 3 won't work at The Raleigh I think you're right that The Doubletree would be best. I don't know if I'd rather be in a double with my either of my big lugs but I guess that's better then being in a king with both of them!!!!

Archived