Must have gift items???

We will be visiting the Western Mediterranean (Barcelona, Malta, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes) in a couple of months, can you please give me some ideas of any must have gift/souvenirs that we must bring home.. Where are some of your favorite places to shop? I love bringing handi-crafts home that remind me of the wonderful places that I have visited. THanks for any help you will share.

We will be visiting the Western Mediterranean (Barcelona, Malta, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes) in a couple of months, can you please give me some ideas of any must have gift/souvenirs that we must bring home.. Where are some of your favorite places to shop? I love bringing handi-crafts home that remind me of the wonderful places that I have visited. THanks for any help you will share.

There is a HUGE thread on this very subject that hopefully someone will post..there are so many shops in each port and I am sure you will find something that will catch YOUR eye..you can't miss the shops.

Oops I found it for you...or at least one of them

Souveniers - Share your favorites ? - Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards -

In Malta be sure and check out the M'dina glass. I bought a lovely small glass plate that I display on a little easel at home. In Barcelona I bought a small wooden handmade spanish fan at a shop in the spanish village.

In Malta be sure and check out the M'dina glass. I bought a lovely small glass plate that I display on a little easel at home. In Barcelona I bought a small wooden handmade spanish fan at a shop in the spanish village.

Where is the spanish village?

Marilee

Oh my gosh........... Thank you so much for the link, those are exactly the type of ideas I was looking for.... I totally understand what you mean about I will know what to buy when I see it... I also understand what someone said about not buying something when you see it..... One year we were in Cozumel and there was a lady painting in the square, the picture was so beautiful but we were on our way snorkeling and I didn't want to deal with it, when we got back she was already gone for the day... About six months after we came home we remodeled our bathrrom and there is a spot that the picture would be totally perfect for, so the next year we planned our vacation just so that I could go back to Cozumel to look for the lady, we went, and no lady..... :( The place in the bathroom is still empty, and I have never not bought something on vcation that I fell in love with............. Thanks again for all the help...

Oh my gosh........... Thank you so much for the link, those are exactly the type of ideas I was looking for.... I totally understand what you mean about I will know what to buy when I see it... I also understand what someone said about not buying something when you see it..... One year we were in Cozumel and there was a lady painting in the square, the picture was so beautiful but we were on our way snorkeling and I didn't want to deal with it, when we got back she was already gone for the day... About six months after we came home we remodeled our bathrrom and there is a spot that the picture would be totally perfect for, so the next year we planned our vacation just so that I could go back to Cozumel to look for the lady, we went, and no lady..... :( The place in the bathroom is still empty, and I have never not bought something on vcation that I fell in love with............. Thanks again for all the help...

I feel your pain. I have never regretted something I have bought but have regretted not buying something.

In Rome you might consider purchasing mosaics either as pictures or jewelry. You will see cheap, tacky mosaics all over town but I found some really quality items at Savalli, just off St. Peter's Square. As you face the church, their shop is just to your left. Their jewelry starts at around 80 Euro for a cross pendant & I believe their very small pictures begin at around the same. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to purchase the most beautiful picture I've ever seen. It was approximately 8 x 10 & cost 18,000.00 Euro. Oh well............when I win the lottery.............

I have purchased some very nice shawls in Barcelona.

In Malta

Mdina glass, lace e.g. table cloths (expensive if they are large pieces), place mats, smaller pieces for the centre of your table etc, 18carat gold and silver filigree

In Italy

Handbags and shoes, handbags and shoes, handbags and shoes - they are gorgeous

In Rome and any ancient sights like Pompeii, you must get the "Then and Now" books, they have overlays that really enhance the viewing of what the place looked like. These books can only be bought at the sights like the Colosseum or forum, don't wait to buy them later because you won't find them!

I bought the most exquisite Cameo in Florence, the workmanship was impeccable, it was a small shop on the street that turns into the Ponte Vecchio, before the bridge. I also bought the best leather purse--unzip the compartments and feel for the soft buttery suede, if its not there don't buy the purse. In Florence, they make the most beautiful marbled paper, if you are a journal writer, you must go into a paper shop in Florence too. The quality of all things are best in Florence!

I found Barcelona to have the best prices when it came to tourist stuff like the glass tongue necklaces, which I found for $5 there but also saw them for $30 in other ports.

You've got to get Lemoncello in Naples if you go to the Amalfi Coast, but I noticed you could get this all over Italy. Do try real Buffalo Mozzerella in Italy as well because it is wonderful.

I'm not a shopper! :p

In Rome and any ancient sights like Pompeii, you must get the "Then and Now" books, they have overlays that really enhance the viewing of what the place looked like. These books can only be bought at the sights like the Colosseum or forum, don't wait to buy them later because you won't find them!

I bought the most exquisite Cameo in Florence, the workmanship was impeccable, it was a small shop on the street that turns into the Ponte Vecchio, before the bridge. I also bought the best leather purse--unzip the compartments and feel for the soft buttery suede, if its not there don't buy the purse. In Florence, they make the most beautiful marbled paper, if you are a journal writer, you must go into a paper shop in Florence too. The quality of all things are best in Florence!

I found Barcelona to have the best prices when it came to tourist stuff like the glass tongue necklaces, which I found for $5 there but also saw them for $30 in other ports.

You've got to get Lemoncello in Naples if you go to the Amalfi Coast, but I noticed you could get this all over Italy. Do try real Buffalo Mozzerella in Italy as well because it is wonderful.

I'm not a shopper! :p

What are glass tongue necklaces?

Beautiful Amelia. Did you buy any?

Absolutely, I bought several in Park Guell for $5 each, I ended up giving one to my Steward, a wonderful woman named Cherry (on the Ruby)!

Amelia

Very nice necklaces, thanks for the idea, can u tell me where i can find them in barcelona .

Sorry i posted as soon as i saw the necklaces:) , i didn t wait to read the next ones ,so it is in parc guell .

Just FYI - they also have them in Venice, supposedly Murano glass. But much more expensive. 12 - 15 E each there for the prettier ones. So, buy them in Barcelona. Don't wait for Venice ! :)

Just FYI - they also have them in Venice, supposedly Murano glass. But much more expensive. 12 - 15 E each there for the prettier ones. So, buy them in Barcelona. Don't wait for Venice ! :)

Sounds like a plan. Thanks

Greetings !

I am planning a cruise to the eastern med in late Sept. and would like to know what would be unique must-haves from Turkey, Egypt, Isreal, Naples, & Greece ( Santorini, Mykonos, & Athens ).

All suggestions most appreciated.

cb-ozzie :D

Archived