Chilkoot Tour to Yukon - which side to sit?

Watergal501

This is my first cruise to Alaska in July 2009. We booked the Chilkoot 7.5 hour tour from reviews I read here. I was wondering if it matters what side of the train to sit?

It does indeed matter. If you take the train up the hill you want the left side - if you take the bus up the hill you want the right side.

Yep what Yukon stated!! We did the same tour with Chilkoot and had a fabolous time!! Our tour guide was BJ and he was fabulous! I have taken tours a fair # of places in the world thanks to my travels with the Cdn Armed Forces, and he was on eof the best. very interesting fellow, had great stories/facts about the area and would stop anytime you wanted to for pictures. Chilkoot has thier own car on the train as well, and their is a huge bottle of water and bathroom in the car. As well you stop at caribou crossing for dinner--its just outside carcross (price is included in ur booking) and wow, the BBQ chicken was betetr than what the ship served, and the donuts were excellent as well. They have a great museum there as wel las the husy dogs. When we were there on May 11, they had 7 week old puppies, soo cute. As well if ya want, you can take a 15 min dog sled ride (on wheels) for $30. You will have a blast.

We're on that tour on the 9th! Had originally booked the Carcross tour but that one is cancelled due to the washout of the tracks. .thanks for the tip on what side of the train to sit on. .

When do we decide which way to take the train? I was just under the impression it was train first and bus back

Ya, i never knew that was an option, or maybe its just not an option Chilkoot offers, but you could email them and ask. I Think i would prefer the train first, as then ur not rushed while on the bus. Our driver BJ took his time coming back and stopped everytime we asked and of course made suggestions

Ya, i never knew that was an option, or maybe its just not an option Chilkoot offers, but you could email them and ask. I Think i would prefer the train first, as then ur not rushed while on the bus. Our driver BJ took his time coming back and stopped everytime we asked and of course made suggestions

I too prefer the train to be first.. Like you said ..then the way back is a poke and look. .and our ship is docked until 7:30 or 8 .. so no rush that way

Sitting on the left side going up you will get amazing views, but one secret (I just did it last week) the best place to be to get great pictures and views (if it's physically an option) is on the platform outside!!!! :D

When we were driving last week, someone wrecked their tour bus (only the driver was in it...no one was hurt). I think it was a Chilkoot bus. They ran it into a ditch on the side of the road. When I offered help, asked what was wrong, they said it got caught in the wind, and an 18-wheeler swooshed right past it. Problem: A) the wind wasn't blowing at all that day, and B) I don't believe 18-wheelers are permitted on the White Pass. They've got big lightpost-like things all over the road that seem meant to stop 18-wheelers over a certain height. They had to get a tow truck all the way from Whitehorse, and this was just before Fraser.

I don't believe 18-wheelers are permitted on the White Pass. They've got big lightpost-like things all over the road that seem meant to stop 18-wheelers over a certain height.

There is a LOT of 18-wheeler traffic on the White Pass - that's the main reason I always tell people to avoid the bike tours that coast down the pass. Those posts are guides for the snowplows - they don't go over the traveled portion of the road.

Murray

When we were driving last week, someone wrecked their tour bus (only the driver was in it...no one was hurt). I think it was a Chilkoot bus. They ran it into a ditch on the side of the road. When I offered help, asked what was wrong, they said it got caught in the wind, and an 18-wheeler swooshed right past it. Problem: A) the wind wasn't blowing at all that day, and B) I don't believe 18-wheelers are permitted on the White Pass. They've got big lightpost-like things all over the road that seem meant to stop 18-wheelers over a certain height. They had to get a tow truck all the way from Whitehorse, and this was just before Fraser.

Before blogging you should make sure you have accurate information to spread to the public. As owner of Chilkoot Charters & Tours I categorically deny that one of our vehicles was driven into a ditch anywhere on the White Pass Summit, let alone towed to Whitehorse.

Capt. Larry Pierce

Simply telling everybody what I saw, no more no less. I believe Yukon, but I can also say I never saw a single 18-wheeler the whole way. I think the lesson for everybody is, there's a real danger on that road from 18-wheelers. And it's probably more pronounced if you take a bus and not a small car, due to the width and grade of that road.

Simply telling everybody what I saw, no more no less. I believe Yukon, but I can also say I never saw a single 18-wheeler the whole way. I think the lesson for everybody is, there's a real danger on that road from 18-wheelers. And it's probably more pronounced if you take a bus and not a small car, due to the width and grade of that road.

Sorry! Your still wrong!

Capt. Larry Pierce

Oh come on now - how on earth do you figure that there's a "real danger" from 18-wheelers on that road? I've yet to see or hear of a semi being involved in a wreck with a car. On a normal drive to Skagway I see between 6 and 12 18-wheelers.

I believe what they are trying to get at, it was NOT a Chilkoot charter bus!!

This is a board used by people to make decisions on what tours to use and possibly what companies to use. So if one doesnt truly does NOT know which company it was, one should not state what they ”think” what the company was.  This isnt Fox news,lol.  We passed a Big 18 wheel gas semi on our trip(going in opposite direction) And when in Mountanous areas, weather can change in an instant, as taught in my mtn ops course

The reason I left the scene thinking it was likely a Chilkoot bus was process of elimination. The cruise ships and Gray Line operated the big buses. It was not a big bus. Dyea Dave and Yukon Suspension Bridge operated vans. It was not a van. Southeast Tours has big writing on the side of their bus, and I think I would have remembered that if it was there. That doesn't leave a whole lot left. And it didn't occur too far away from the Chilkoot trailhead (which is probably just coincidence).

Whoever it is--and someone here probably knows who, it's a small world up there--they were obviously very embarrassed about the whole incident and did NOT want us seeing it. And whether an 18-wheeler's "wind" caused the accident or not, I find it very odd that it drove them into a ditch on the LEFT side of the road.

I would also add that the big tour buses operated in two's VERY regularly, and the guard rails on the side of the road were seriously beat up. Was this caused by cars running into them, or rock slides? From my perspective, I don't care. It's not terribly comforting either way. I can understand the tour operators' vested interest in the tourists' fears not being overblown, but I don't want them to be underblown, either--and unlike them, I have NO vested interest. You need to be cognizant of the dangers out there. Are you likely to get in an accident? Probably not. But if you do, you're SCREWED.

Dave Dyea has a brand new "shuttle bus" same as the one we used with chilkoot. and n im not saying it was dyea dave in the ditch,lol. Actually saw a few other companis with the same type of shuttle buses. Oh well, hope evryone was ok.

The reason I left the scene thinking it was likely a Chilkoot bus was process of elimination. The cruise ships and Gray Line operated the big buses. It was not a big bus. Dyea Dave and Yukon Suspension Bridge operated vans. It was not a van. Southeast Tours has big writing on the side of their bus, and I think I would have remembered that if it was there. That doesn't leave a whole lot left. And it didn't occur too far away from the Chilkoot trailhead (which is probably just coincidence).

I just have to make one final comment. You don't know Skagway well enough to work on a "process of elimination". The situation changes so fast that I can't keep track, and I'm on that road a lot. I hear that Dyea Dave now has a bus like you describe - that will make 7 or 8 companies that run them. And the "Chilkoot trailhead" is on the Dyea Road, not the Klondike Highway.

Oh well, hope evryone was ok.

He was, but it's because only the driver was in the bus. If people had been inside, someone would surely have gotten hurt. That was a 10-foot drop, and the bus was at a 45-degree angle on its side.

And the "Chilkoot trailhead" is on the Dyea Road, not the Klondike Highway.

There are two signs (one northbound, one southbound) clearly marked "Chilkoot" hiking trail on the left side of the KLONDIKE Highway (going northbound), and you can see the parking lot from the road. There were at least 3 cars/SUV's parked there. You know that. In fact, you listed it in your own guide. Page 11, mile 23.7.

There are two signs (one northbound, one southbound) clearly marked "Chilkoot" hiking trail on the left side of the KLONDIKE Highway (going northbound), and you can see the parking lot from the road. There were at least 3 cars/SUV's parked there. You know that. In fact, you listed it in your own guide. Page 11, mile 23.7.

A clarification - the Chilkoot is a one-way trail (everybody hikes UP the trail not down). The trailhead (ie the start) is at Dyea - the end is at Log Cabin, Mile 27.3, north of Fraser, not "before" it (which to cruisers normally means south of). The hazards of semantics...

Archived