Island Escape 2nd June 09

Liverbird69

Hi,

Going on the Escape for the first time next week (only 6 more sleeps!). As you may guess we can't wait to be there!

Anyone got any ideas for DIY trips? We are on her for 2 weeks so it could get expensive to do all the ships tours, we have been on other ships around the Med and have been to some of the ports before, any ideas for Livorno have done Pisa & Florence to death. Same for Rome & Palma, any ideas or inspirations are welcome :).

PS If any of you are going on the same cruise it might pay us to join together for excursions. See you there.

Hi,

I can't help as we're off on Monday on a different cruise.

I just wanted to say we were on her last year and we can't wait to be back on board in December round the Canaries.

Have a great trip

Berwyn

P.S. Have you tried the Ports of Call threads. There's a section there on Western Europe and the Med. Lots of tips there.

Apparently you can go to Monaco and Monte carlo esily yourself by train from Cannes.

Also last time we did Barcelona on our own. there's a HOHO bus that starts right outside the port entrance. We saw all the main sites and had plenty of time to see Gaudi's cathedral, walk on Las Ramblas (not full length) we got off at the Catalunya square at the top of it and strolled down a bit then into the Gothic Quarter and came out of there near the bottom of Ramblas and were able to stroll along the front past Columbu's Statue back to the ship

Hi,

Thanks for the hints and tips.

I've looked on the ports of call threads and have now got myself totally flumoxed! :confused: So many different ways, I'll sit quietly and look them over again in the next few days.

Will let all know how much we enjoyed it on our return and post just what we managed to do by ourselves.

Hope you have as good a trip as we are planning :).

And if anyone is on the same cruise let us know.

Yes, I know what you mean, you can read so much stuff on here it gets your head in a spin.

We'll be in Naples when you're flying out to Palma.

I looked at your other week and they say Villefranche is a lovely town without needing to go anywhere.

And in Livorno others went out to the Tuscan countryside to Lucca, inland not far from Pisa.

When we were in Sicily we stopped the other side in Messina and it was handy to go up Etna.

The prices Thomsons charge for the excursions are about 40% cheaper than RCI. We didn't realise that when we booked.

Have a great time

Berwyn

Hi there

I am going on the Island Escape cruise on 2nd June as well for 14 nights, doing two back-to-back 7 night cruises. Flying out tomorrow morning - soooo looking forward to it.

Villefranche is a lovely little town and if you like walking the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild is beautiful, it's surrounded by nine gardens and is perched on the Cap Ferrat peninsula with the most amazing views imaginable. It also has a lovely restaurant.

Happy cruising

Ann

Archived