Carnival not offering Altun Ha or Xunantunich anymore?

AlliG

My husband and I will be on Valor June 28, with a stop in Belize on July 2. I've been going back and forth on what excursion to do in Belize, but from reading these boards knew I wanted to book with Carnival to avoid missing the last tender with a private tour. But when I went online to book Altun Ha or Xunantunich today, they are no longer listed.

Does anyone know if Carnival is no longer sponsoring these tours? Or maybe they are full or can only booked on board? Any tips would be helpful, as I might decide to book independently if Carnival is no longer an option.

Thanks!

I'm on this cruise in November and there are 2 Altun Ha excursions available through Carnival. They might have reached pre-sale capacity for your cruise already. Hopefully you can still book it on board.

This is the same situation with our June 21 sail date on the Legend. I looked on Monday evening and all 3 excursions were available, on Tuesday they were no longer listed.

Well, I was about to call Carnival to ask about this but logged on first to check...and all three excursions are now back on the list and available for booking. Mom68, maybe yours will be back too!

Just did Altun-Ha and river tour last week through the ship and I can say it was the best. We booked on the ship. Loved it and would do it again in a minute. Bought some Cashew wine at Altun-Ha and will enjoy it with family this weekend. I found Belize the best place on our whole trip (also did Honduras (also loved), Grand Cayman and Key West). Hope you enjoy your trip.

I don't know, but in June '08 we were on the Valor and did Altun Ha through the ship and were REALLY disappointed in the tour operated. We only got to spend half an hour at MOST at the ruins. We were on the boat what seemed like forever and a pit stop at a tiny restaurant where they tried to get you to spend money in the gift shop and buy drinks, and FINALLY got on the bus to the ruins. I would not recommend it to anyone. We were on NCL Spirit just last month and did the Lamanai tour, no junkie pit stops and we made the last tender back, it was long, but Lamanai was gorgeous and well worth the long boat ride there. I MUCH preferred the Valor to NCL, but when it came to the excursions in Belize, the Lamanai tour was the best!

Glad to see they're back up. We did Xuanatunich last week off the Legend. First tender off, last tender back. We had delays getting out of BC due to some wannabeLance type of charity bike ride for schools hogging the roadways out and in bound. We spent about 20-30 minutes too long at the ruins IMO. Plus one of the vans that transport you from the ferry to the ruins broke down then the bus driver made a wrong turn in San Ignacio and we drove around through narrow streets back tracking to the restaurant. All adding to delays. But the roads were pretty decent and the bus was a nice modern bus with recliinging seats, a/c, and a bathroom.

The ruins themselves are impressive, if you've never seen Mayan ruins before. I was amazed at the level of development you can see from the top of the biggest temple. And lunch at Hodes in San Ignacio was very good. You can get 3 different types of Belkin beer there. Sorta makes up for missing the Wet Lizard:D

I wouldn't do the tour again...BTDT. But it's a very nice way to learn about Mayan culture and see more of Belize than just the inside of Tourist Village.

We just did the Xuanatunich excursion this last Thursday, and were unable to climb to the top of the main temple because of the earthquake that had occurred earlier that day. But we still enjoyed the area, and were able to climb the other structures. Lunch was good, too!

We were just able to book Xuanatunich on Carnival's website. I was disappointed also when I saw it wasn't listed on the shore excursions for our Sept. cruise..was overjoyed when we were able to book it tonight. Can't wait!

I have Altun Ha/Rio Wallace booked for my cruise in September and recieved an email from Carnival this morning saying there was a change to the vendor and I was supposed to check for timing conficts. So I would imagine they took them down briefly to do updates. Turns out we are now leaving on our excursion at 8:15 instead of 8:45. Guess those teens of mine are going to have to drag their behinds out of bed a smidge earlier. :p

Archived