Request for Information/Feedback

CruiseCATnMACK

I will be cruising solo on the Spirit (August 12) with the following ports:

Sitka

Juneau

Skagway

Ketchikan

I have been checking on shore excursions and wanted to ask those that have been for their opinions. I would like to do a hike in hopes of seeing wildlife and I want to be up close and personal with a glacier.

I am thinking about the following tours:

Juneau

* Glacier View Sea Kayaking - first choice

Guides Choice Hike

Medenhall Glacier/Wildlife Quest

Skagway

*Laughton Glacier Hike - first choice

Glacier Point Safari

Chilkoot Trail/Rafting

I'm open to any and all suggestions and feedback regarding the above. If you have suggestions for these or the other ports that might provide the adventure I am looking for that would be great. I am also open to non ship sponsored tours.

Thanks for any information/feedback you can provide.

Since hiking is a big part of your focus, both Skagway and Juneau offer superb hiking right from the dock. At Juneau, take the tramway to the top of Mt. Roberts and go from there, or take a shuttle ut to Mendenhall Glacier which offers several good trails (though not on the glacier). At Skagway, pick up a free trail map at the NPS office. At Sitka, the marine wildlife tours offered by Capt Davey and Sitka Sound Tours will get you up close and personal to an incredible variety of wildlife - see our last trip with Davey at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page4.html

Since hiking is a big part of your focus, both Skagway and Juneau offer superb hiking right from the dock. At Juneau, take the tramway to the top of Mt. Roberts and go from there, or take a shuttle ut to Mendenhall Glacier which offers several good trails (though not on the glacier). At Skagway, pick up a free trail map at the NPS office. At Sitka, the marine wildlife tours offered by Capt Davey and Sitka Sound Tours will get you up close and personal to an incredible variety of wildlife - see our last trip with Davey at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page4.html

Sounds great, thank you for the information.

As a solo cruiser all I need to do is find a group that would like to join me.

Glacier Wilderness Safari is one of my favorite all time favorite adventure experiences! You take a high speed catamaran up a fjord. Then they take you to a glacier lake where they outfit you (take your own waterproof gloves) and you paddle a really large canoe to the face of a retreating glacier.

The glacier is spectacular and covered with "glacier meringue." Parts of it are an incredible shade of blue.

You can see some pics of what that looks like on my Flickr page at:

Archived