Cruising to Healthy

brooklynfc

To be honest, it's something I get from the doctor's office..it's about 8 ounces and $3 a box or a 6 pack is $12..he's the one who put me on this "diet"..but I think if you check Atkins, they may have something similar to it and I've seen Atkins in the supermarket.

The other thing is that he has me on a vitamin routine...a daily, calcium, EFA's and a green tea thing for fat burning.

It's not a diet I would typically chose, but after having my own "rude awakening" not to long ago I had no idea a bunch of weight had crept up, and I am probably the cleanest eater around..but was eating too many carbs of even fruits and vegetables though they are good for you..just not the amounts I was eating. Endurance training helps too..I was running a 13.5 minute mile now I am in the 12's.

The weird thing is, things I used to enjoy I can't stand..I guess that's good!

Do you mind sharing the name of the shake and where you purchase it? That sounds like something I'd like to try!

Thanks!

D: 3 slices of pepperoni pizza about the size of........most pizza hut slices.

S: 1/2 of a red velvet cupcake , rice crisp treat, pinch of chips, 1/2cup of a1% milk

See, told u i def. eat enough. Though Friday's always seem to be worse than most days.

Bk: 2 CUPS OF FROSTED mini wheats , 1 c 1% milk, 2 slices of low cal. Bread, smear of low fat may, 1 scrambled egg cooked in a bit of oil.

To be honest, it's something I get from the doctor's office..it's about 8 ounces and $3 a box or a 6 pack is $12..he's the one who put me on this "diet"..but I think if you check Atkins, they may have something similar to it and I've seen Atkins in the supermarket.

Thanks. I drink the Atkins mocha latte shakes (which have real coffee in them)...it's 15 g of protein and 5 carbs (2 net carbs if you believe "net" carbs...I'm not sure I buy that!) in 11 oz. I usually only drink about 5 oz at a time. They are good and satisfy the chocolate craving for me. They are $5.78 for a four pack at Walmart--cheaper than a latte at Starbucks and so much better for you!!

I have to share my son's tweet...I'm signed up for twitter to monitor my kids, but don't go on very often (which kind of defeats the purpose:)). Well, he told me to check his tweets and he had written, "so proud of my mom for losing 50 lbs #yougogirl". It's moments like those that make me so happy to be a mom (which is good to keep in mind as I'm cleaning his room this morning and carrying out 4 empty water bottles and 3 empty mt. dew cans...uh!).

Gathina, since you live in south FL, I wondered if you knew of any reputable off-site parking places for the Port of Miami or of any Miami hotels that do packages where you stay the night before the cruise and then leave your car there for the week. In the past, we have sucked it up and paid the $20/day port parking at POM, but I'd love to find a cheaper alternative!

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!!

Yes you defiantly ate enough here, but look at the kinds of foods you ate?

I find it hard to believe 2 cups of mini wheats is the right portion size..is that what the box said? and bread too? I'm not being mean but you wanted accountability :) I thought cereal was to be breakfast by itself on most diets, or eggs and toast by itself as breakfast, etc. How about non stick cooking spray instead of oil? This looks like almost a 500 calorie breakfast??

I'm really not trying to be mean or antagonize you..:) I really am a caring person..I feel bad that your not losing faster and if your posting for everyone's feedback, well, that's mine :)

D: 3 slices of pepperoni pizza about the size of........most pizza hut slices.

S: 1/2 of a red velvet cupcake , rice crisp treat, pinch of chips, 1/2cup of a1% milk

See, told u i def. eat enough. Though Friday's always seem to be worse than most days.

Bk: 2 CUPS OF FROSTED mini wheats , 1 c 1% milk, 2 slices of low cal. Bread, smear of low fat may, 1 scrambled egg cooked in a bit of oil.

Wow that is way cheaper! Better to stick with Atkins!

Parking..I really don't but you could check the S.Florida board. I don't know that I'd even trust a 'secure" hotel with parking thing anywhere in Miami. Where the port is located is kind of the armpit area of Miami and Bayside, though nice is not a great area. Nothing is cheap in Miami. Another thought is you could see how much a one way rental is to Miami with a car and you could maybe stay downtown and see if you could drop the car off there and if there is a shuttle to the port from the hotel.

My favorite hotel in that area is Marriot Bayside, many of the rooms face the port and it's gorgeous. Cheaper hotels are closer to the airport. Therei s a nice Crown Plaza and Holiday Inn near the airport. I wouldn't take a hotel called "Miami Hampton Blue Lagoon" which is popular off 36th street or LaQuinta. You could also check Doral, the community about a 10 minute drive on the outskirts of the city. Nice suburban area and I know Baymont Inn has a shuttle to the port but not sure about parking.

Wish I could be more helpful..fortunately I can just get dropped off! :)

Thanks. I drink the Atkins mocha latte shakes (which have real coffee in them)...it's 15 g of protein and 5 carbs (2 net carbs if you believe "net" carbs...I'm not sure I buy that!) in 11 oz. I usually only drink about 5 oz at a time. They are good and satisfy the chocolate craving for me. They are $5.78 for a four pack at Walmart--cheaper than a latte at Starbucks and so much better for you!!

I have to share my son's tweet...I'm signed up for twitter to monitor my kids, but don't go on very often (which kind of defeats the purpose:)). Well, he told me to check his tweets and he had written, "so proud of my mom for losing 50 lbs #yougogirl". It's moments like those that make me so happy to be a mom (which is good to keep in mind as I'm cleaning his room this morning and carrying out 4 empty water bottles and 3 empty mt. dew cans...uh!).

Gathina, since you live in south FL, I wondered if you knew of any reputable off-site parking places for the Port of Miami or of any Miami hotels that do packages where you stay the night before the cruise and then leave your car there for the week. In the past, we have sucked it up and paid the $20/day port parking at POM, but I'd love to find a cheaper alternative!

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!!

I have heard about these and am headed out to buy them now. The reviews on them are positive..but you have to eat them, it seems, "not expecting" pasta flavor and let the sauce carry the taste. Hmm..worth a try! Plus, says they have a lot of fiber.

http://www.naturalnews.com/Review_400032_Miracle_Noodle_glucomannan_Konjac.html

I have heard about these and am headed out to buy them now. The reviews on them are positive..but you have to eat them, it seems, "not expecting" pasta flavor and let the sauce carry the taste. Hmm..worth a try! Plus, says they have a lot of fiber.

Please let us know how you like them! Wow, sounds like it's worth a try!! Where do you buy them?

Thanks also for the information about Miami. It doesn't seem like there are many bargains there for parking and I'd only use an off site parking if I felt it was safe and reputable. My DH says the ones that say guarded 24 hour means there is a guard sitting at the entrance asleep, lol! I will keep searching!

Yep, i thought that having a bigger breakfast with more protien was what was being recommended? It was good enough bc i didnt get hungry until around 1:30 and i ate at 8ish, no snack and light walking.

Gathina (i know ur name just didnt want to spell it wrong, lol) i sure know by now that u only mean well. I do get tiffed sometimes from what i read, but i know that im really mad at myself for not being smarter and less weak. And that is the truth and sometimes i wonder what it will take for me to stop playing weightloss and actually be more serious. I know i try, but i also know i dont try hard enough though i have more than enough reason to.

L: buffalo wild wings grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato, 1tbsp of mayo (i had a packet) and about 5oz of shoestring fries.

S: ice cream in a waffle cone, two scoops so one cup.

D: im about to get up and just fix a baked potato. I have about 10 pts left so that will cover it and i will add some broccoli to it for more veggie, some cheese, smart balance, salt, pepper.

I hope i dont eat after this and i will motivate to my bike.

Sadly, your hubby is right!

The noodles: I like them alot! They were very cheap (like 1.45 bag) and I steamed some vegetables and added a little rice vinegar and splenda.

I think they would be great cooked in a broth with some vegetables for an asian type of noodle soup. They were were a little on the starchy side but well worth it.

I bought them at the Oriental market here..smaller towns of course might not have them, but if your in a major metro area they should be easy to find. They are in the refridgerator section as "yam noodles"..you rinse them then boil them for a few minutes..I was surprised!

Please let us know how you like them! Wow, sounds like it's worth a try!! Where do you buy them?

Thanks also for the information about Miami. It doesn't seem like there are many bargains there for parking and I'd only use an off site parking if I felt it was safe and reputable. My DH says the ones that say guarded 24 hour means there is a guard sitting at the entrance asleep, lol! I will keep searching!

Tiffed? LOL..you know my heart is in the right place..English is not my first language and I come across as very blunt so that's what it is more likely. :) I think what they were suggesting was a higher protein breakfast as a sub. for a high carb breakfast..like an egg and bacon and toast, but not adding all the cereal and more carbs. That's how I interpreted it. If you look at Calorie King or one of the online counters you might be very surprised how many calories and carbs all that is. I don't think you should call yourself a weak person at all because that's not true. We've seen you overcome many temptations and rise above it. I think every person has to reach a point where they are just plain disgusted enough they are willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen and keep the big goal in mind when they feel like eating the wrong thing. You know how good you felt when you lost a few pounds, you have to let those thoughts/feelings stay with you when you want to eat stuff you shouldn't. Nobody said you can never have fast food again, but it's unrealistic to think it could be a regular part of your diet. No diet ever encourages that. They encourage it maybe one or two times a month as a treat, not one or two times a week.

Just my thoughts..you just keep riding that horse, girl! :)

Yep, i thought that having a bigger breakfast with more protien was what was being recommended? It was good enough bc i didnt get hungry until around 1:30 and i ate at 8ish, no snack and light walking.

Gathina (i know ur name just didnt want to spell it wrong, lol) i sure know by now that u only mean well. I do get tiffed sometimes from what i read, but i know that im really mad at myself for not being smarter and less weak. And that is the truth and sometimes i wonder what it will take for me to stop playing weightloss and actually be more serious. I know i try, but i also know i dont try hard enough though i have more than enough reason to.

L: buffalo wild wings grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato, 1tbsp of mayo (i had a packet) and about 5oz of shoestring fries.

S: ice cream in a waffle cone, two scoops so one cup.

D: im about to get up and just fix a baked potato. I have about 10 pts left so that will cover it and i will add some broccoli to it for more veggie, some cheese, smart balance, salt, pepper.

I hope i dont eat after this and i will motivate to my bike.

Edited by Gathina

The noodles: I like them alot! They were very cheap (like 1.45 bag) and I steamed some vegetables and added a little rice vinegar and splenda.

I think they would be great cooked in a broth with some vegetables for an asian type of noodle soup. They were were a little on the starchy side but well worth it.

I bought them at the Oriental market here..smaller towns of course might not have them, but if your in a major metro area they should be easy to find. They are in the refridgerator section as "yam noodles"..you rinse them then boil them for a few minutes..I was surprised!

Thanks for the feedback. I will look for them here. We have lots of Oriental and Caribbean markets here in Orlando, so I'm hoping they are easy to find. I looked at the website in the link you gave and they were expensive!! But, it sounds like you found them at a great price! My one worry would be that if they are starchy, they will start the carb cravings, but with 0 carbs, maybe that's not possible?

Brooke, we are all rooting for you! This journey is not easy, but I do find it a bit easier to have a support group to come to and ask questions of and to share ideas/strategies!! You have been an inspiration to me and one of the reasons I am on my bike every night is because of you talking about it!! What really jump-started me back on 8/1/11 was that it was 5 pm and I realized I had up to that point had a "clean" day of eating...minimal carbs and no sweets. Since it was so late in the day, I thought, "why not just go the rest of the night without any fattening food?" and then the next day I said the same thing. It's kind of like what recovering alcoholics do...one day at at time! To think I will never again eat a candy bar is crazy, but I can say I won't eat one today and I probably won't eat one tomorrow...

Orlando you should have no problems finding them. My package said 2 carbs for a serving size and the calories was like 10 for a cup. For a sauce I saw something for making a pesto with zucchini so that could work.

I'm going to try and make them as a soup tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look for them here. We have lots of Oriental and Caribbean markets here in Orlando, so I'm hoping they are easy to find. I looked at the website in the link you gave and they were expensive!! But, it sounds like you found them at a great price! My one worry would be that if they are starchy, they will start the carb cravings, but with 0 carbs, maybe that's not possible?

Brooke, we are all rooting for you! This journey is not easy, but I do find it a bit easier to have a support group to come to and ask questions of and to share ideas/strategies!! You have been an inspiration to me and one of the reasons I am on my bike every night is because of you talking about it!! What really jump-started me back on 8/1/11 was that it was 5 pm and I realized I had up to that point had a "clean" day of eating...minimal carbs and no sweets. Since it was so late in the day, I thought, "why not just go the rest of the night without any fattening food?" and then the next day I said the same thing. It's kind of like what recovering alcoholics do...one day at at time! To think I will never again eat a candy bar is crazy, but I can say I won't eat one today and I probably won't eat one tomorrow...

Hi All,

I have not posted in forever, and that's not a good thing for me.

I will summarize where I am...I lost 60 lbs last year. Then I gained back 15 after going through lots of family issues (the death of my father in law and uncle - I also lost my father last year, which was the kick in the pants I needed to get things going). So, I have re-started my efforts. I would like to lose 50 more lbs (but I could probably honestly stand to lose more than that; but 50 is my longer term goal; I will set my eventual goal later).

I lost the 60 lbs purely by cutting back and following my mantra of no junk food, no fried food, no soda and at least 40 mins of exercise daily. No gimmicks, not magic pills, just that. If I had to put a calorie count to it, it would be about 1500-1600 a day.

I have been still reading the board and keeping up on everyone's progress. I like the exchanges that go on - there are lots of great ideas. I have tried the low carb thing and it just wasn't for me. :) I do agree completely that having protein at breakfast helps tremendously. My go-to breakfast is a light, multigrain English muffin (Thomas' brand) with a small smear of peanut butter. Delicious and surprisingly satisfying. If I can't do that, I will have a hard boiled egg with yogurt (not mixed!) or a piece of toast/half bagel. I am a bread girl and I love it too much to give it up completely. If I stick to my own methods, the weight does come off.

I have seen my friend, :) Brooke, struggle a bit. I do like that you are being completely honest about what you are eating. It's hard to fess up sometimes (like to the fact that I ate ice cream last night!! I will chalk that one up to calcium :p). When you list what you plan to eat for the day, do you write down - at least for yourself - the additional stuff, too. Is that counted in your daily points. I am surprised that the weight just isn't coming off. I know that a number of people mentioned (including me) that you may not be eating enough. Now, those theories were based on what you are logging here. What about if you added more of the food that you have listed? The foods you list here are good choices. If you are still hungry, they perhaps add a little more of those foods to your meals/snacks. Bulk up on the good, avoid the bad.

For me, I have said in the past that I am definitely a food addict. Not an excuse by any means, but it adds to my misery. When I avoid my trigger foods (cookies, for example), I do much better staying focused. There are so many foods that I just can't have one of. Like I could never have a couple chips or one cookie. So, I am better off avoiding those things all together.

I don't have any cruises planned. I have been on 4 in 4 years and my next vacation is to Club Med in Cancun in November. I do hope to do a cruise with my kids (boys, almost 10 and 6) in the future. But for now, I am just going to follow my favorite rock star around (as you can see by my signature....)

Kim

I always appreciate the advice and support.

Stayed with what i wrote last night.

Bk: 12oz of ice, 1% milk, 1 scoop of biggest loser protein shake, low calorie bread 2 slices, smear of low fat mayo and one egg, smeared the pan with oil instead of pouring .

S: 4 kiebler cookies, like vanilla cookies shaped like elves with chocolate inside.

Probably gonna eat a peach in a minute.

I won't write lunch until i eat it.

Got in 60 min. Workout last nite with weights.

Yes, I have eaten them and I have them here now as well. Kind of like pasta, it is really what you put on them, they don't have a lot of taste but at basically no calories they are good. I would buy them again.

I got mine online; they have a website and some excellent recipies as well. Lots of flavor and not high in calories!

If you could post the link that'd be great as I am trying to get creative here..

What I am thinking of is a low sodium broth, some chopped celery, Chinese cabbage, mushrooms..all green veggies as those are lower in carb than onions, etc. Then tossing in the noodles. I love soup, but hate all the sodium in it. I think if it's used in soup the noodles would soak in the flavor. They weren't that bad last night, just need to be creative.

I got mine online; they have a website and some excellent recipies as well. Lots of flavor and not high in calories!

I found this link to purchase online:

http://miraclenoodle.com/p-1-variety-sampler.aspx

amazon has them with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodle-Shirataki-7-Ounce-Packages/dp/B004CLCEDE

Link to recipes:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-recipes_preparation.aspx

I'm going to look locally for them, but may order online if I can't find them.

The recipe looked pretty good for 21 carbs a serving. If you make it I'd try to use natural peanut butter and not skippy or something..because of the sugar it actually gives extra carbs to peanut butter. At Whole Foods you can grind your own..the cashew and almond butter is good too. A bit on the pricey side but for the quality worth it.

Hmm..ideas! Maybe we are on to something here with these "noodles"!

I found this link to purchase online:

http://miraclenoodle.com/p-1-variety-sampler.aspx

amazon has them with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodle-Shirataki-7-Ounce-Packages/dp/B004CLCEDE

Link to recipes:

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-recipes_preparation.aspx

I'm going to look locally for them, but may order online if I can't find them.

Almost done with 60the mins on the bike.

Good for you. I'm headed there shortly:) How do you pass the time on the bike? I have been turning on HGTV lately and watching whatever is on that channel! But, I'm only up to 3.40 miles, about 20 minutes. Maybe one day I'll work up to 60!

The recipe looked pretty good for 21 carbs a serving. If you make it I'd try to use natural peanut butter and not skippy or something..because of the sugar it actually gives extra carbs to peanut butter. At Whole Foods you can grind your own..the cashew and almond butter is good too. A bit on the pricey side but for the quality worth it.

Hmm..ideas! Maybe we are on to something here with these "noodles"!

I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so probably would use the noodles as a base for shrimp scampi or curry. I serve my family shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta and I just eat the shrimp and sauce, but with these, I could have noodles too! I also like to make a low carb version of curry (no coconut milk, just spices), so I think this might be a nice with a curry.

I do like your soup idea. Let us know how that turned out!:)

Good for you. I'm headed there shortly:) How do you pass the time on the bike? I have been turning on HGTV lately and watching whatever is on that channel! But, I'm only up to 3.40 miles, about 20 minutes. Maybe one day I'll work up to 60!

Mostly TV, Movie, Book. Anything to take my mind off the exercise. Its a proven fact that if your mind is busy (or at least you are) then time goes by quicker. When I do the gym I use music to keep my speed at a certain level and then I try to focus my mind on other things. Books on tape are good for exercising too.

I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so probably would use the noodles as a base for shrimp scampi or curry. I serve my family shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta and I just eat the shrimp and sauce, but with these, I could have noodles too! I also like to make a low carb version of curry (no coconut milk, just spices), so I think this might be a nice with a curry.

I do like your soup idea. Let us know how that turned out!:)

If these work out, you will have to post the recipes and I will def. give them a try.

If you could post the link that'd be great as I am trying to get creative here..

What I am thinking of is a low sodium broth, some chopped celery, Chinese cabbage, mushrooms..all green veggies as those are lower in carb than onions, etc. Then tossing in the noodles. I love soup, but hate all the sodium in it. I think if it's used in soup the noodles would soak in the flavor. They weren't that bad last night, just need to be creative.

I read the article about the noodles having no flavor........but honestly, I've never thought of pasta having flavor in the first place. I've always thought it was the sauces and seasoning that gave it flavor.....but maybe pasta does have flavor and it will take something that has NO flavor to tell, lol.