Isalnd Princess Balcony Cabin?

katiepe

Have booked Island Princess Trans Canal but trying to decide between balcony cabins. Have booked D502 as read it was partially covered but could also get C639.

Both cabins appear to be 234 sq feet. That is important to me. Does anyone know which would be best? Or any better suggestions? First time in a balcony so looking for the best cabin possible. I was able to get the same price for higher decks but the cabins were only 210 square feet.

Also altho I know it is luck of the draw in the actual canal transit is port or starboard better for views off the balcony for the rest of the time?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Have booked Island Princess Trans Canal but trying to decide between balcony cabins. Have booked D502 as read it was partially covered but could also get C639.

Both cabins appear to be 234 sq feet. That is important to me. Does anyone know which would be best? Or any better suggestions? First time in a balcony so looking for the best cabin possible. I was able to get the same price for higher decks but the cabins were only 210 square feet.

Also altho I know it is luck of the draw in the actual canal transit is port or starboard better for views off the balcony for the rest of the time?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I can help you with the port/stqrboard going through the canal. I have been twice on a full transit, once on the Starboard side and just this past April the portside. While both have fantastic views I found that the portside had much more variety, such as towns, assorted bldgs, more closer views of the locks. Now with that said you never know what lane the ship will go into until you get there but I truly found the port side to have a more variety of stuff to look at. Now the starboard side had much more swampy grasses a few bldgs of which was exciting but whatever yiou decide on just make sure you go all over the ship especially through the locks so that you can see the variety of scenery.

Marilyn

I can help you with the port/stqrboard going through the canal. I have been twice on a full transit, once on the Starboard side and just this past April the portside. While both have fantastic views I found that the portside had much more variety, such as towns, assorted bldgs, more closer views of the locks. Now with that said you never know what lane the ship will go into until you get there but I truly found the port side to have a more variety of stuff to look at. Now the starboard side had much more swampy grasses a few bldgs of which was exciting but whatever yiou decide on just make sure you go all over the ship especially through the locks so that you can see the variety of scenery.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

She doesn't say which ways she is going, wouldn't that make a difference for port or satrboard?

I have read on these boards that port is better for Fll to LA, but which lane you get in is the luck of the draw. We choose port for our FLL to LA.

Then again how much time are you going to be in the cabin during the transit. I plan to be outside in the "secret spots".

John

Marilyn,

She doesn't say which ways she is going, wouldn't that make a difference for port or satrboard?

I have read on these boards that port is better for Fll to LA, but which lane you get in is the luck of the draw. We choose port for our FLL to LA.

Then again how much time are you going to be in the cabin during the transit. I plan to be outside in the "secret spots".

John

Direction would make a big difference.

On our full transit I roamed the ship at times, but my wife elected to relax and watch the world go by from the comfort of our balcony. We both saw amazing things that were unique.

Another consideration is the balconies you are considering are mostly uncovered. Considering the actual direction of the Canal (mostly North/South oriented (or South/North ...)) one might also want to consider exposure to the sun. The entry to the Canal is early morning, but lasts long enough to get a really good sunburn... (speaking from experience here :o ).

First -Thank You for all the input.

We are sailing FLL to ACA. So unless I am doing this wrong that means Cabin 502 would be port side. Right??(always did have problems with my left and right:D)

I have checked that very good website with the ship layout. What a marvelous job. From that site I think D502 is partially covered. That is one of the reasons I chose it. Best of both I thought!

First -Thank You for all the input.

We are sailing FLL to ACA. So unless I am doing this wrong that means Cabin 502 would be port side. Right??(always did have problems with my left and right:D)

I have checked that very good website with the ship layout. What a marvelous job. From that site I think D502 is partially covered. That is one of the reasons I chose it. Best of both I thought!

Yep 502 would be the port side. Even numbers = port, odd numbers = starboard.

I learned as a kid that port and left both have four letters. That's how I remember.:D

What I can never remember is the color of the running lights. Red and Green for right and left. Is the ship comming at you or going away from you and which color on what side.:eek:

Marilyn,

John

You are absolutely right, it just depends on which way. Now that the OP has answered that question I think D502 on the portside will be just fine. And like I said also just roam all over the ship. Fantastic views whichever side you choose.

Marilyn

Yep 502 would be the port side. Even numbers = port, odd numbers = starboard.

I learned as a kid that port and left both have four letters. That's how I remember.:D

What I can never remember is the color of the running lights. Red and Green for right and left. Is the ship comming at you or going away from you and which color on what side.:eek:

Port wine is RED, so thats how I learned to remember.....Port side left, red lights.....Starboard right, green lights

On our 2006 Trans canal cruise (FLL/YVR) with Mariliyn and Pat on the Coral (Island's sister) we had a balcony portside.

I would tend to agree with the majority of posters however you must remember that these portside cabins on a westbound voyage receive the hot sun all day. So even tho' the staterooms have A/C, it is necessary to close the drapes to keep the heat out.

That being said it shouldn't concern you that much anyway as most passengers prefer to find themselves good vantage points from different parts of the ship and are on deck for the transit.

Point of note...If you are considering the Balcony Breakfast and are in a portside stateroom, try to order it very early in the morning (before 8am) as the heat on your portside balcony will tend to frazzle your fresh fruit, quiche, lox and croissants etc before you can get to it. It was so hot by 0815 that when we were entering the Gatun Locks, we went back and there the breakfast was waiting for us in the stifling jungle heat

Once through the Canal and heading northbound the portside staterooms are sheltered from the morning sun and the worst heat of the day.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!.

Port wine is RED, so thats how I learned to remember.....Port side left, red lights.....Starboard right, green lights

I think I can remember that since you're associating it with wine.:D

I would tend to agree with the majority of posters however you must remember that these portside cabins on a westbound voyage receive the hot sun all day. So even tho' the staterooms have A/C, it is necessary to close the drapes to keep the heat out.

That being said it shouldn't concern you that much anyway as most passengers prefer to find themselves good vantage points from different parts of the ship and are on deck for the transit.

Point of note...If you are considering the Balcony Breakfast and are in a portside stateroom, try to order it very early in the morning (before 8am) as the heat on your portside balcony will tend to frazzle your fresh fruit, quiche, lox and croissants etc before you can get to it. It was so hot by 0815 that when we were entering the Gatun Locks, we went back and there the breakfast was waiting for us in the stifling jungle heat

Once through the Canal and heading northbound the portside staterooms are sheltered from the morning sun and the worst heat of the day.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!.

Capt. Ron,

Are you saying the worst heat of the day is in the morning?:confused:

Archived