St Thomas/ St John Review

GypsyOBRN

St Thomas was our first stop on our latest cruise. We got up around 8am showered and headed off the ship. We went over to the taxi stand and asked for an hour and a half island tour which included the mountain top and a view of Megan's bay. For $15.00/pp with tip we were taken to all the places we wanted to see with stops for pictures in between. There were beautiful views of the bay, the ship and Megan's bay. Some of those real sharp turns made me glad I wasn't driving! We had the taxi drop us off down town for a little shopping and then took a taxi back to the ship for lunch. This was our morning plan because we had a ship excursion to St. John's and Trunk Bay in the afternoon.

This excursion was booked through the ship because I was a little afraid of having to take taxi's and the boat to get over to St Johns although on a second trip a pay try it on my own since everyone seemed very easy to talk to and were very accomindating. We boarded the private boat to St John's around 1230pm. It was a nice 1/2 hour or so ride over to St. John's we passed many different things which they talked about along the way. We then boarded a mini bus that took us to Trunk Bay. St. John's had what looked like many beautiful beaches on the way to Trunk Bay. We had about 2 hours to snorkle and play at Trunk Bay. It wasn't too croweded and it was just so clear and wonderful snorkling there. We both felt it was well worth the extra effort to make it over to see this beautiful place.

We had a wonderful full day in St. Thomas/St John's and would love to revisit either or both of them. Loved the trip to Trunk Bay and would consider going there again although would probably also like to spend a day at Megan's Bay too so that would be a hard choice to make. If you have been to St Thomas before, I recommend going to Trunk Bay if you have never been. It was also very easy to get a taxi to take you around the island for a tour.

I will be posting many wonderful pictures we took of these islands and beaches as well as our cruise tonight when I have the time. You will be able to see them from the link below.

Gypsy:

Sorry, seems like I can't find the link...???

Sounds like you had a really good time. We will be anchored in St. Thomas on Feb. 2, 2005. I already arranged a Jeep rental through Budget in order to explore the island by ourselves, at our pace.

I know I read somewhere here in CC that there are two options to get to St. John. A ferry and a bridge... is that correct? Or is a ferry the only option.

What else would you folks recommend to see (attractions, points of interest, historic sites, etc.)?

Thanks for any input, pics or comments!

There are two options to getting to St. John but neither one involves a bridge. :)

There are two ferries that go there from St. Thomas: one from Charlotte Amalie and the other from Red Hook.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but they drive on the left on St. Thomas and St. John. Your Jeep will probably have its steering wheel on the left like they do in the States. Just remember to "keep your shoulder to the shoulder."

As far as what to see and where to go are concerned, check out the following site: http://www.*****/stthomas/

For some pics about some of the sights there are to see, go to: http://lrichters.photosite.com/STT/

Richters:

Thank you for the recommendations, hints and links. Great pics! Looks like paradise to me.

I am aware that they drive on the left. LOL. Like in the United Kindom, but at least there they have their steering on the right. ;-)

I'm sure it'll be an experience and we'll have a wonderul time.

Thanks again... and Happy Holidays!

One more question for you all:

I saw and heard Trunk Bay at St. John must be absolutely georgeous and also great for snorkeling (what we are planning to do).

We are planned to dock at 7:00 AM and have a car rented right at the cruise ship terminals. If I read that map correctly, the ferry to St. John is all the way on the east end of St. Thomas (this one is probably Red Hook). The other ferry you said is departing right from Charlotte Amalie.

Are both ferries passenger & car ferries, or is there only one car ferry?

What is the approximate travel time to/from St. John? Difference in ferries?

Somewhere I read that the fee with car is approx. $ 35 incl. passenger.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks for all your help and input!

Hello,

There is a:

Charlotte Amalie - St. John Passenger Ferry

Red Hook - St. John Passenger Ferry

Red Hook -St. John Car Barge

You can find the travel time, cost and schedule for the ferries and the car barge at:

http://www.*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

--Islander

Hello Crusin Together,

Trunk Bay doesn't have chairs just on the beach like a resort beach does... you can rent them though. There are trees there so you can find shade... put your chair under a tree. So I quess he won't get left behind ;-)

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...

We're thinking of taking this shore excursion in March. I'm wondering what anyone can tell me about how difficult it is. We'll be traveling with my father-in-law who has MS, and although he walks, he's not very stable on his feet. He won't go snorkeling with us, but he enjoys sitting on a beach. I'm just wondering if there is any part of this that might be hard for someone who doesn't walk all that well. Do you drive down to the beach? Or do you walk down a trail?

Thanks!

Archived