bermuda in may or august whats your opinion??

mrdrdoso

we are getting ready to book the dawn for next year to bermuda:) and not sure if the end of may will be too cold and uncertain in the end of august is getting close to hurricane season? We are leaning towards the may date but I want to be able to enjoy the beaches. Anyone have an opinion of what is the better date and why?

any help is appreciated.......................mary

we are getting ready to book the dawn for next year to bermuda:) and not sure if the end of may will be too cold and uncertain in the end of august is getting close to hurricane season? We are leaning towards the may date but I want to be able to enjoy the beaches. Anyone have an opinion of what is the better date and why?

We've gone 3 times in August and had one close call with a hurricane. This year we're going in June and though we expect it to be cooler, the prices were much better especially with our CC Group cruise, and there's probably little chance of a hurricane! Checkout the May reviews which may also help! Good luck and enjoy! We're heading donw in 9 days!:cool:

...not sure if the end of may will be too cold ...

For what? the beach? I would not have a problem with the beach in May

...uncertain in the end of august is getting close to hurricane season....

Hurricane season is from 6/1 to 11/30, with August, September & October being the peak. Don't fear a cruise in hurricane season, be aware of it, buy travel insurance, and know that the cruise line will have an alternative itinerary in the event of a hurricane

Here is a good link on Bermuda weather: http://www.bermuda-online.org/climateweather.htm

SBtS

I guess it depends on how hot you like it. That sun is intense, and personally I wouldn't have wanted it any warmer myself. Out of the breeze it was pretty sticky already. And I saw tourists in every shade of red from scarlet to brick. (Bring sunscreen!)

Since you're from New York State, I think you'll find May in Bermuda plenty warm enough. If you were from Texas or California, I might advise differently. :D

We have gone 3 times to Bermuda and were lucky every time. We are booked for next year again. We are still cruising in August this year, just not to Bermuda. It is hurricane season, but you can hit a storm in April also. I would prefer August to May. I think in May the water is not warm enough for the beach.

Just got back from the BDA run on the Spirit last week. Leaving Boston and the last day coming back it got quite chilly at sea but that was expected. The weather in BDA for the time we were there was great. One day was partly cloudy but we didn't experience any rain. The weather was in the low 80s which was just fine for me. Not too hot and not too cold - JUST RIGHT!

I'm not a beach person so I couldn't tell you about that part of it though. :( I am stuck on the dates to go though due to my school schedule. I will be doing the same run during the same time next year. :)

Stopped in Bermuda for a day port of call in May and found the water very chilly. Too cold to snorkel.;)

So far the May cruisers this month have said the water was cool but more importantly have been reporting a lot of jellyfish and many Portugese man o' war. If that is common this time of year, and you're a swimmer/snorkeler, you might consider that.

August is indeed official hurricane season but Bermuda doesn't get struck all that often.:)

Last year we went Oct. 19th and also found the water quite chilly.

We were there the beginning of May this year and the weather was fantastic. We didn't go to the beach, but we could have.

I'm guessing it will be a lot more humid in August than May, but I agree that the water will be warmer.

We also went the beginning of June 2006 and the water was perfect, but we're used to New England beaches and much cooler water temps.

Will be heading back again in October! :D

IMHO, if you're a beach person, the water in May is just too chilly. If you're not really wanting to swim and stuff, the weather is supposed to be very nice.. not too hot. We actually cancelled our 5/2 cruise and changed to a Bahamas itinerary because we love to swim and snorkel. Now I wish we hadn't so we could have had a "rum swizzle" with Angeljt!!

My good friend iheartbda suggests October or the months around there, and she's been going to Bermuda for a thousand years now. :D

IMHO, if you're a beach person, the water in May is just too chilly. If you're not really wanting to swim and stuff, the weather is supposed to be very nice.. not too hot. We actually cancelled our 5/2 cruise and changed to a Bahamas itinerary because we love to swim and snorkel. Now I wish we hadn't so we could have had a "rum swizzle" with Angeljt!!

My good friend iheartbda suggests October or the months around there, and she's been going to Bermuda for a thousand years now. :D

Ha ha... That would have been great! We did order 2 pitchers of them and some snacks at the Swizzle Inn! Then we headed back to Hamilton and The Pickled Onion! :eek: Would have loved for you to join us!!!

We went back to the ship and headed for the hot tub and then had a drink on the balcony. Well, we missed dinner and our friend ended up with burgers and fries on her birthday! :o (they hit the spot though)

Jackie

2905115680051977359S425x425Q85.jpg

Ha ha... That would have been great! We did order 2 pitchers of them and some snacks at the Swizzle Inn! Then we headed back to Hamilton and The Pickled Onion! :eek: Would have loved for you to join us!!!

We went back to the ship and headed for the hot tub and then had a drink on the balcony. Well, we missed dinner and our friend ended up with burgers and fries on her birthday! :o (they hit the spot though)

Jackie

2905115680051977359S425x425Q85.jpg

Sounds like a perfect DAY!!! I'd have no problem keeping up with you guys.. :D hiccup! Hugs

We go to Bermuda every fall in late September or early October. The water temperature is still warm and the kids are back in school. Prefer taking my chance with a rare hurricane hitting Bermuda than a hurricane of teen-agers running through the ship at all hours. In May, the water is too cool and the jellyfish including man 'o war are more prevalent.

Sounds like a perfect DAY!!! I'd have no problem keeping up with you guys.. :D hiccup! Hugs

A 'girl's cruise' is sure a different animal than when I go with DH! Whew... Can't stay up until 4 AM every night and get up at 7AM, but we did!! :eek:

Well, jump on the Dawn with us in October. :D

Jackie

We've been to Bermuda several different times of the summer (May, July, August, October) and found October the best, for us.

Oct. is not crowded, the weather and water was warm enough for swimming. In May, it was mild but too cool for swimming, but great for sightseeing and walking. July and August are very warm and tends to be very humid. It depends on what you like.

BTW, we have been to Bermuda many times in hurricane season and never been affected although once there were 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic, while we were on a Bermuda cruise, the last week in August. Luckily, they didn't get in our way and the weather and seas were perfect; smoothest cruise ever. You never know, but we can go on a Bermuda cruise every year, any time.

We were on the Dawn to Bermuda 5/17-24. We went snorkeling in Tobacco Bay but it was tough getting into the water. It was probably about 70 and low tide so not too bad after the initial shock. It was worth it because we saw some beautiful fish. Sat on the beach at Horseshoe Bay and took a dip up to my waist. Chilly but worth it. The Bermudians celebrate a holiday on May 25 and consider that the first real beach day. Have been there in August and the water is much warmer, but that year a hurricane struck the island the week before and the previous cruise was diverted to Charleston -- nice, but not the same.

We were on the same sailing, Dawn May 17-24. Bermuda weather was sunny, breezy, and 74-75 degrees. Great for sightseeing. We didn't go to the beach.

We've been to Bermuda in August, and it was 86 degrees, and very humid.

I guess it depends on how important beaches are to you.

If you watch these reviews long enough, the general May cruise is cool and windy. The Atlantic is rough and you will read it here over and over. Also, the water temp. in Bermuda is still a bit chilly in May.

I would go with August. There is a chance of a hurricane but NCL never takes their ships into the eye of the storm! They would navigate around it of course! The water temp will be warmer and the seas probably calmer.

Do you have or are you taking kids?

May the kids are still in school, August they are not in most states. You may want to keep that in mind too.

Do you have or are you taking kids?

May the kids are still in school, August they are not in most states. You may want to keep that in mind too.

yes our dd is going to be 16, although i dont mind taking her out of school I do want her to have other youth to hang out with though. We do love the beach though, and I love laying out in the sand. My dh left it up to me he did ask if he would get a tan ,sounds like that won't happen in may. thanks for all your input, I think I'm leaning towards august, even though I prefer to go earlier but hey its a year away whats 3 more months right?............................mary

yes our dd is going to be 16, although i dont mind taking her out of school I do want her to have other youth to hang out with though. We do love the beach though, and I love laying out in the sand. My dh left it up to me he did ask if he would get a tan ,sounds like that won't happen in may. thanks for all your input, I think I'm leaning towards august, even though I prefer to go earlier but hey its a year away whats 3 more months right?............................mary

We just got back from Bermuda three week ago and the weather was great we came back very tanned LOL. I was in shorts the whole time I was there. May is nice because it is not so humid walking around.

I have been in early September and you take a chance in August and September with hurricane season at its peak.

My first cruise ever my husband and I cruised out of NY in August down to Bermuda and I have to say it was one of the rockiest cruises of my life. A hurricane had just gone up the coast and honestly I would have never gone on a cruise again after that experience, but luckily I decided to try it again after several people told me that leaving NY during hurricane season can sometimes be that way and I tried another cruise and the experience was much better and I have been on eight cruises since then, but like the other poster said, you never know! It could be a light hurricane season and the water could be fine and you can have no problems. Once you get to Bermuda it is worth the cruise down! Good luck whenever you choose!

Last year we were on the Dawn in May to Bermuda and then because of some hurricanes our Spirit cruise was diverted from the Bahamas to Bermuda again.

I would take August anytime - the weather is about 15 degrees warmer as well as the water temp. In May I couldn't even stick my foot in but in August I was swimming. Whichever you choose you will have a great time - it is a beautiful island!!

I did a check on rainfall totals for Bermuda, comparing May to August. August averages 5.1 inches while May averages 3.1. I thought it would be the other way around. ;) On the whole, most "rainy" Bermuda days are not total washouts.

I personally would find the August heat oppressive; not good for a lot of walking.

Archived