Quiter beaches in Mykonos

We'll be in Mykonos on a Tuesday in July for only a short time 7 -2. I've read about Paradise Beach, which sounds quite similar to my times at Orient Beach. But my group would love something a bit more relaxing this time. What would the best 5-6 beaches be in Mykonos? Ae there some that have chair/umbrella rentals, and yet are more on the quieter side, without chairs right against each other. Going in the earlier time of day will certainly be helpful. Thanks for any help here.

Platy Gialos is the best-known family beach. It has loungers & sunshades to rent, and there aren't any 'on-the-beach' bars or music. However there are a number of (low-rise) hotels, restaurants & bars backing onto the beach, and these establishments 'own' the loungers/sunshades in front of them. You pick your lounger/sunshade and sooner or later someone will come down from the restaurant or whatever and take your money. Thereafter, you're free to use the facilities of that establishment. For example, you can use the restroom, which means that you can change into (or out of) swim wear in privacy!

You can also get your money back (well, sort of). If you have a meal in the relevant establishment (they all have shaded terrace tables at the very top of the beach), they'll offset the cost of what you've paid on the beach against the cost of the meal. (If you have the meal first then move onto the beach, I imagine they'll simply not charge for the beach facilities.)

Here's a link to a good map of Mykonos town. You can get a bus to Platy Gialos from the bus stop on the left-hand side of the map - it's about a couple of miles, no more, to the beach. Buses run about every 30 minutes in summer and the fare is about €1.30. You get your ticket from a store opposte the bus stop - the store sells newspapers/magazines, confectionery, bottled water, tickets, etc, etc - it's a good little shop and they speak english. When you come back tickets are available form the mini-market 50 yards up the road from he stop at Platy Gialos. (The road ends at Platy Gialos, so there's no worry about missing the stop.)

Update: I've just re-read your post and I see that you're only there from 7am t 2pm. That means you want to get there early and get back erly. Be aware that there are very few taxis on Mykonos, and none that sit at Platy Gialos. The only thing you can rely on is the bus.

Archived