Carnival Glory

whoohooo

My wife and I are going to be on the Glory for the September 12 eastern carribean trip this year, second cruise for me and first for her, and have a few questions.

As we are going to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten and have never been to any of those before, we are getting off the ship and exploring each port.

The last Carnival cruise I went on was the Conquest to Montego Bay, Grand Caymen , and Cozemel, back when the Conquest was in Biloxi/Gulfport. I was not impressed with the value of the shore excursions we went on and would like to know if anybody has any insider tips for tour guides or such that are affordable and reliable and not connected or affiliated with the cruise line.

Also, onboard, is there anything you would reccomend doing or staying away from? I like to just wander and do what looks good at the moment, but the wife likes to have more of a plan.

Thanks in advance for any info

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

We had the same itinerary on our Valor cruise last year.

Nassau: we didn't find a whole lot here. We did the Pirate Museum, which is pretty cheesy but slightly entertaining. There is a Straw Market with lots of trinkets and junk if you're into that kind of stuff.....not far from where you get off the ship. If you have enough time, I've heard Atlantis resort is nice, and there may be an excursion that gives you day priveledges (pretty spendy). There is also a Hilton (I believe) that offers day priveledges for a fee....not far from the pier.

St. Thomas: we did a tour with Sunny Liston. He takes you into town for about an hour of shopping, then a tour up to Mountain Top which has a beautiful view. There used to be a bar/gift shop where you could get a yummy banana daiquiri, but there was a fire there recently, so I don't know if they are still taking people up there or not. We ended up at Saphire Beach for about 2 hours....beautiful beach with good snorkeling right from shore.

St. Maarten: we took a taxi to Orient Beach and spent the day on the beach. Tons of restaurants, beach chairs, water toys on Orient Beach.

Happy cruising! :)

My wife and I are going to be on the Glory for the September 12 eastern carribean trip this year, second cruise for me and first for her, and have a few questions.

As we are going to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten and have never been to any of those before, we are getting off the ship and exploring each port.

The last Carnival cruise I went on was the Conquest to Montego Bay, Grand Caymen , and Cozemel, back when the Conquest was in Biloxi/Gulfport. I was not impressed with the value of the shore excursions we went on and would like to know if anybody has any insider tips for tour guides or such that are affordable and reliable and not connected or affiliated with the cruise line.

Also, onboard, is there anything you would reccomend doing or staying away from? I like to just wander and do what looks good at the moment, but the wife likes to have more of a plan.

Thanks in advance for any info

Read up on the ports of call boards...these are all safe ports, so as long as you have a reputable tour operator, you will be fine. We are taking the same cruise in Aug. Since it is such a short stop in Nassau, we are doing Blackbeards - through CCL - because the price difference is like $6. In St. Thomas, we are taking an island tour through EEE, and in St. Martin, doing Captain Alan's 3 island snorkel adventure. Haven't used these guys yet, but have they have good reviews on the boards and were prompt in responding to my emails. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, glad to know they are safe ports. I was a little afraid they would be like Montego Bay, glad to hear they aren't.

I think we willl check into Sunny Liston and see what thee rates are.

One more question, my wife just asked me as a matter of fact. Does anybody know the whereabouts of a place called Duffy's love Shack in St.Thomas?

Again, thanks for the replies.

One more question, my wife just asked me as a matter of fact. Does anybody know the whereabouts of a place called Duffy's love Shack in St.Thomas?

Again, thanks for the replies.

No, but Duffy's is very well known. We actually drove past it on our way back to the ship from Saphire Beach (so I guess I kind of DO know the whereabouts!). Ask any taxi driver and they will take you there. I've heard it is great.

One more thing about Nassau - you have a really short stay in port - like 7-2 - and it's a Sunday. If you don't mind spending the money to see Atlantis, everyone tells me it is wonderful - but I'd book through the cruise line to guarantee a spot. We picked Blackbeards so my kids could play with the sting rays again - they loved it in Grand Cayman. Your third option would be the nearby beach. Other than that, doubt there will be mush going on....

Sunny Liston has a website http://www.sunnylistontours.com

You have a choice of pickup times, depending on how long you want to shop. You have a choice of Magens Bay, Coki or Saphire Beach. The price is $25 per person listed on his website right now.

We liked Sunny because he is lively and lots of singing as you drive around. Fun! :cool:

You're going to have a great time! There are several Glory reviews on this board with your itinerary, including mine. Just do a search on "Glory Eastern" and you'll find plenty of ideas and photos from the various CC members.

As far as what to do on the ship, hubby and I got His/Her pedicures in the spa, which was a real treat. We also did Tea Time on sea days, the Glory Murder Mystery, pools, comedy shows, and backstage tour. My daughter enjoyed the mini golf, and dancing to the Latin music in one of the aft lounges.

You can also google or search these boards for the Glory Capers on the Eastern route. That will give you an idea of some of the shipboard activities.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

We had the same itinerary on our Valor cruise last year.

Nassau: we didn't find a whole lot here. We did the Pirate Museum, which is pretty cheesy but slightly entertaining. There is a Straw Market with lots of trinkets and junk if you're into that kind of stuff.....not far from where you get off the ship. If you have enough time, I've heard Atlantis resort is nice, and there may be an excursion that gives you day priveledges (pretty spendy). There is also a Hilton (I believe) that offers day priveledges for a fee....not far from the pier.

St. Thomas: we did a tour with Sunny Liston. He takes you into town for about an hour of shopping, then a tour up to Mountain Top which has a beautiful view. There used to be a bar/gift shop where you could get a yummy banana daiquiri, but there was a fire there recently, so I don't know if they are still taking people up there or not. We ended up at Saphire Beach for about 2 hours....beautiful beach with good snorkeling right from shore.

St. Maarten: we took a taxi to Orient Beach and spent the day on the beach. Tons of restaurants, beach chairs, water toys on Orient Beach.

Happy cruising! :)

Hello!

Do you remember what you paid when you went to Orient Beach? Also, I know there is a nude beach there and was wondering if it can be avoided (if there is a clothing side) due to travling w/ a 13 and 9 year old! lol

Duffy's Love Shack is in Red Hook at the east end of the island where you can catch the ferry to St. John. It's a fun, open air bar/restaurant and there is one on St. John too.

My DH & I were on this same trip last September, and truley recommend the following links for a wonderful time in St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

http://www.viscenictours.com/ in St. Thomas - Shopping, tour and the beach in an open air bus. Loved driving down the mountain.

http://www.bernardstours.com/ You will love Bernard. We had an air-conditioned van, with cold drinks and water provided. Beware the home made Rum Punch!! After an informative tour, we spent 2 hours at Orient Beach - lunch was fantastic!! We were on the semi nude side. The only thing that we saw on the nude side was an ancient old man's hinney. See the link below for more details. Then to Maho Beach to watch the planes land.... a must!! They barely clear the beach where you are swimming. Shopping and then back to the boat.

http://www.sxm-orientbeach.com/restaurants.html - Great Beach

Hope you have as much fun as we did............Wish we were going too. ;)

You'll love his tour............... He stopped along a beautiful bay, and scooped up a Sea Urchin for us view. Beware the Rum Punch........my DH had a long nap after trying a cup.

We did a Discover Atlantis ship tour on the Valor last year and loved it. We toured "The Dig", which is the aquarium and loved it. With it being such a short stay in Nassau this is a wonderful way to spend it.

Archived