Does anyone decorate your door??

We will be cruising on the Pride for my sister's graduation. Does anyone know if their doors are metal or not? I may just get the tacky tape that was being discussed. Also, what are your thoughts on white boards for messages to each family we are going with?

We used the sticky dots to hold ours up on the Pride. Wished I'd had a message baord with me - could have used it.

That is very nice.

How tall and wide did you have to make that?

Thank you.

I had a friend who was on the Pride last Christmas and she measured the door for me - If I recall correctly we made it 30 x 80 - I have a friend than has a banner making machine so we took pics, set them up and then put a border around it. The decoration is made from vinyl and it will last for years to come. I trimmed it when I put it up including the door knob and cardlock.

I'm sitting here thinking about my last cruise and I think I was the only one on the whole ship that decorated my door. I loved it! I knew right where my room was. I was wondering if anyone else decorates their door and if you had any pictures to share.

I know that I'm going to get flamed, but I find this question intriguing. Do you decorate your door when staying in a hotel? Do you decorate your apartment door at home (at times other than major holidays)? If so, it would it make sense to do so on a ship. If not, why would one think it is appropriate on a ship?

I know that I'm going to get flamed, but I find this question intriqing. Do you decorate your door when staying in a hotel? Do you decorate your apartment door at home (at times other than major holidays)? If so, it would it make sense to do so on a ship. If not, why would one think it is appropriate on a ship?

Why should you get flamed? Yes, we decorate our door at home for multiple holidays and special occasions. Yes, the window (easier than the door) gets decorated when we stay at a Disney hotel (this is encouraged/assisted by the housekeeping staff) So yes, a cruise is a special occasion and therefore deserves the same attention. Thank you for putting this into perspective for me :)

I know that I'm going to get flamed, but I find this question intriguing. Do you decorate your door when staying in a hotel? Do you decorate your apartment door at home (at times other than major holidays)? If so, it would it make sense to do so on a ship. If not, why would one think it is appropriate on a ship?

My front door and porch at home are decorated with welcome mats, seasonal wreaths and flowers...things that I like...to welcome guests and give a hint about the personalities behind the door...decorating the cabin door is just an extension of that, and a celebration of the trip. I've only done it once, but will probably do it from now on. I certainly don't think it is inappropriate. It's fun and adds to the festive atmosphere of a cruise. Try it...you might like it.

I'm sitting here thinking about my last cruise and I think I was the only one on the whole ship that decorated my door. I loved it! I knew right where my room was. I was wondering if anyone else decorates their door and if you had any pictures to share.

When I drink too much, I always remove those fire hazards taped to peoples door.

Mom and I always decorate the door and the cabin. We have an inflatable palm tree that we always take along with some other decorations. We like a festive environment :)

I didn't see anyone else's door decorated on our last cruise, but that just made ours stand out more! We also had several people make comments about what we put up!

I LOVE this idea!

We are taking my dd and her two friends next August on Dream for her Sweet 16.

Maybe the first day/night, when they are getting changed or out and about, I can decorate the door, she'll either love it or hate it at 16 years old LOL

Does anyone know approximatley how long and wide the doors are?

Also, does anyone have any ideas for Sweet 16? OR, maybe I shouldn't advertise there are 16 year old girls in a cabin?

hhhmmmm........didn't think of that until I typed it.

You could always just get generic birthday decorations or streamers in her favorite color without advertising that they're 16. You could also use balloons in her favorite color. That way you're celebrating her birthday without being specific and possibly attracting people that you don't want hanging around! Then on the inside of the cabin, you could put up sweet sixteen decorations as an extra surprise.

Actually the cruise lines decorate the doors too. That's what the decoration package is. On RCCL, they have special signs for the cabin doors. We now have them hanging in the kids' bedrooms. :D

And I got my door decorations today! I got a 5ft tall statue of Liberty (we are sailing out of NYC) and some anchors. Now I just need some of that tacky putty that everyone else is using.

Amylee, were the doors on the Fantasy magnetic? There will be a birthday in our cabin, and was wondering if magnets were the best way to go. Can poster putty be found at most craft stores? Appreciate the info! :)

Yes, the the Fantasy's doors are metal, but they have a faux-wood paneling on them. Magnets will stick but not hold much.

I'm not sure if the putty's at craft stores, but it'll definitely be at Staples (etc.). I actually found mine at Walgreens in the school supply department.

When at a hotel for a fan convention, yes, it's common :)

Other than that, people use welcome mats and wreaths on their doors at home on a regular basis. Some people even use lights.

I find it similar as when people make those family reunion t-shirts.

We are going on a cruise in July when my husband comes home from Iraq for R & R & what a neat idea.

He is in the Marine Corp so I guess I can do a bunch of Marine Corp stuff..........cant wait. My kids will get a kick out if that idea too.

We are going on a cruise in July when my husband comes home from Iraq for R & R & what a neat idea.

He is in the Marine Corp so I guess I can do a bunch of Marine Corp stuff..........cant wait. My kids will get a kick out if that idea too.

Take some pics and post! There are so many different ways to decorate, I look forward to seeing what you do.

I bet if you leave a post-it pad, or a put up a dry erase board, people will probably leave msgs thanking him for his service to our country...and you too.

Getting ready to take the kids on Carnival for the first time and plan on decorating. Does anyone know if the doors are metal? I always have used the magnetic printer paper in the past.

Won't work I'm sorry.the doors are not metal. I was very upset last august with this because we prepared our magnetic door sign and the kids were not happy that it did not stayed on the door......

So be prepared!!!:rolleyes:

Just know that when you decorate your door, there is the possibility that your stuff will come up missing. You don't want to put anything up there that you don't want to loose. The first time we decorated our door each night something was taken off our door and put on other doors. We even found stuff on another floor. I had already prepared my daughter that this might happen but it still kinda upset her. The next year we didn't have any problem. We used that Wall-e repositional stickers. My daughter was going to the cabin to get something and as she rounded the corner a man from the ship was trying to peel the letter off to make sure it wasn't permanent so my daughter just turned around and went the other way. She didn't want to get into any trouble. By the time the cruise was over we just peeled them off the door and now they are on my daughter's door at home.

Ahh, little things that make cruising special. I actually start saving ones and fives (for tips) and I put little stickers on them (drinks, palm trees, thank yous) just to make them special for ME. Sometimes it is a conversation starter. I love seeing other doors decorated too.

The kids get a kick out of decorating our door. And they think it's cool when they can easily find our room in the maze of endless doors. We make it a pre-cruise event to create the door magnet. I usually buy some scrapbook stick-ems at the local hobby store and stick them to a foam board. After I apply everything to the foam board we decoupage (apply glue) the entire foam board. Then I glue magnets to the back. It travels really well in the suitcase.

This year we may skip the decoupage and go for the printer magnets. But the kids like to play with the foam boards when we get back and the raised scrapbook stick-ems are sooo cute!--so who knows. The kids have several of our old ones stuck on the inside of our front door right now.

Here is one from our Disney Cruise...

IMG_0608.jpg.6e377ddfdc025b4cecc07398c520fd90.jpg

I bet if you leave a post-it pad, or a put up a dry erase board, people will probably leave msgs thanking him for his service to our country...and you too.

Just a note about the dry erase board. Be sure you check it often to be sure no teenage punks leave you unwanted "messages." My almost 60-year-old mom had a dry erase board on her door, and some kid thought it would be funny to draw something obscene on it one night. Fortunately, we noticed it first thing in the morning and erased it before my 3-year-old saw it. :p

Here's my door from our girls vacation on the Liberty in Jan 09.

I got the little wood things at Jo-Ann Fabrics and also at Hobby Lobby. Next cruise there will be another door done I am sure its easy to find and I did get people that liked it and the Liberty cruise the cabin steward wouldn't let me take it down til the last morning LOL He liked it too

Archived