Tonsina Trail Closed?

mommym

I have read good things about the Tonsina Trail hike that starts at Lowell Point 3 miles south of Seward. The Alaska DNR website reports the Tonsina Creek South Fork foot bridge is closed for repairs until mid-summer 2009. Is it still possible to do this hike with this bridge closed? I am a little wary of trying to "wing it" and find an alternate route and end up getting my family and myself in a precarious situation-the part about high tides and rising creek levels sounds a little scary for us city slickers. Any of you "locals" of those who have recently been there know what's up? Thanks so much for your advice!

The Tosina River Trail is listed as 'super technical' and also 'advanced' with a lot of rock gardens. Read that slippery when wet. When is your cruise? Mid summer bridge repair might be late July or even August. The rising tide issue is no joke. I would not do it without a local guide.

I telephoned Brian. He said that without the bridge the trail won't do for you at all. He describes the back side of the trail that you will likely do after the view point as 'rad'. That is young person for 'very exciting.' Conditions are nearly always slippery from rain and sea fog. The view is great on a clear day.

We have photos of a day not so clear but more typical where you can't see much at all.

You are certainly welcome. I really enjoy knowing that visitors to Alaska have the best possible visit. I have younger family members who are professional guides to hunters and fishermen. When I was younger I did a great deal of hiking, much solo. I still try to get around but much slower and much less difficult trails.

Archived