Anyone just back from Mediterranean Gem - how were the seas?

peaches80

Just wondering how calm the seas have been (or normally are) on the Western Med? I've never been on a Med cruise - only sailed in the Caribbean. Thanks!

I did the Western Med on the NCL Jewel three years ago in July. Seas were calm as a lake the entire week. But the Mediterranean is certainly big enough for the winds to really kick up some stormy seas (as is the Caribbean).

Just wondering how calm the seas have been (or normally are) on the Western Med? I've never been on a Med cruise - only sailed in the Caribbean. Thanks!

We just got back almost 2 weeks ago and it was smooth for the most part.

Our day at sea was super windy- that was the only inconvienient issue we could recall. I overheard some of the employees explaining to some passengers that the wind is almost always steady blowing against the forward motion of the ship in that area of the med. You could hardly open the doors on the outdoor decks, but no wave motion strangly enough.

Unless a front is cming through you shoul be great..

Thanks Pandi and Redlef! I figured it should be pretty calm but my daughter and I are leaving in less than 2 weeks and she gets a little seasick. Unfortunately, I have to leave DH at home because he gets horribly seasick!:(

Hi there,

well I got back from the Gem in the Med just last night, and I am happy to report that the sea was as flat as a pancake the whole week! That said, the children were very excited that the swimming pool appeared to have small waves in it on one day, but the sea itself certainly didn't!

Just back from the Gem. It was calm every day except the second to last, when we left Cannes in the afternoon. The hangers in our closet were rattling around for a few hours that afternoon, and I felt quite nauseated and spent most of the afternoon in bed. I had no problems with the tender though, thankfully. The day at sea was definitely extremely windy, but no rockiness or anything that day.

We were on the May 10th sailing and the seas were very calm. The weather was perfect (sunny, 70s), we did the ports on our own at a leisurely pace and had a wonderful time. Wish we could go back this month!

• 1 month later...

Going on the Gem on Aug 23 and are looking to so Malta on our own. We want to go the Hydrogeum and would like to know if it is easy to get there? What type of transportation or tour group would you recommend for the island and the best time to go to the Hydrogeum?

Archived