White Pass

tulips*n*truffles

I read on another board that for at least last week's Alaska cruises, the White Pass train excursions were canceled and done by bus due to an avalanche...which I think has been talked about here some. But can anyone tell me if it was just the 6-hour trips that were canceled, or if the 3-hour ones were canceled as well?? I just want to plan a different excursion if it's done by bus. Thanks!!

I just got back from a cruise last week. What the people from our ship who were on the train on 5/27 said was that they didn't get more than about 1/4 of the way when they had to stop because of a slide. They said they sat on the train a long time w/ no food and nothing to do while the conductors figured out what to do. They finally backed the train up (and the 3 trains behind it) until they were able to switch the engine around and take the train back. Everyone had their money refunded, but their day in port was lost.

Luckily, we had rented a car and drove out to Carcross, Emerald Lake did a saddle/paddle at Spirit Lake and some sightseeing ... which was great.

I was on the same cruise as DFitz and luck for us our group booked the early morning train (3 hour round trip). We were the only train up and back that day as the next train was the one DFitz speaks of.

It was worth the money, saw a bear on the way back down.

I've scheduled the Lake Bennett/Carcross excursion through Chilkoot for the first week in September. The photos on the railway's site don't look too hopeful for service soon. http://www.wpyr.com/news/may13-2009.html

Does anyone know an approximate time frame for reopening the line? Has anyone rebooked an excursion with Chilkoot? How accomodating are they?

I've scheduled the Lake Bennett/Carcross excursion through Chilkoot for the first week in September. The photos on the railway's site don't look too hopeful for service soon. http://www.wpyr.com/news/may13-2009.html

Does anyone know an approximate time frame for reopening the line? Has anyone rebooked an excursion with Chilkoot? How accomodating are they?

I booked the 9-hour rail/bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters for May 26. As soon as they knew that the train to Carcross wasn't running, they called me to ask what I wanted to do. We switched to the 7.5-hour train to Fraser/bus to Carcross excursion, and they issued a refund for the price difference. I'm glad we were in Skagway on the 26th and not the 27th - although it rained in Skagway on the 26th.

I was on the same cruise as DFitz and luck for us our group booked the early morning train (3 hour round trip). We were the only train up and back that day as the next train was the one DFitz speaks of.

I agree! We were also on the early train trip. Well worth the money!

We must have been on the same train, it was great. I enjoyed this trip, the views on the way up to Fraser were amazing and the dog camp and carting was so much fun and seeing the bear on the side on the ride was the best part.

Worth every penny. I'm really glad we took the first early train and we were not effected. I feel sorry for all the hiker we dropped off, I wonder what happened to them. We had heard it was a mud slide while on the bus part of the tour. Some in our group were getting dropped off to take the train back and our driver was like the train is late and then came back and told us what happened, or at least what he heard so early after it happened.

I'm glad to hear that it opened back up.

We dock in Haines and the cruise line's description of the White Pass tour says it takes 7 hours. I know that we have to get from Haines to Skagway to get the train. How long does the boat trip from Haines to Skagway take? I am trying to figure out why the cruise brochure says 7 hours but the train trip itself is only 3.5 hours. Is it easy to get to the train from wherever the boat from Haines leaves us in Skagway? How often do the boats run? We can save $60.00 a person by doing this tour on our own so I would like to see if it is feasible. Thanks.

Here's the ferry info:

http://www.hainesskagwayfastferry.com

I bet the 7 hours is to give you about an hour-and-a-half free time in Skagway; that's what I think. We did the opposite (docked in Skagway, ferried to Haines), and they gave us 90 minutes' free time in Haines. And we sure didn't need a full 90 minutes to see Haines.

Regarding the White Pass Washout - I called them as we're going to be in Skagway next week and wanted to do 7+hour ride. They are estimating that the line will be reopened by the first week in July

Too late for me, but not too late to save the season for them....

We must have been on the same train, it was great. I enjoyed this trip, the views on the way up to Fraser were amazing and the dog camp and carting was so much fun and seeing the bear on the side on the ride was the best part.

Worth every penny. I'm really glad we took the first early train and we were not effected. I feel sorry for all the hiker we dropped off, I wonder what happened to them. We had heard it was a mud slide while on the bus part of the tour. Some in our group were getting dropped off to take the train back and our driver was like the train is late and then came back and told us what happened, or at least what he heard so early after it happened.

I'm glad to hear that it opened back up.

Judy, we must have been on the same Chilkoot tour as well. from your description we were. My daughter and wife were having so much fun with the dogs that they forgot to come back to the bus and I had to go get them! We missed the meet and greet unfortunately because we were with our daughter doing the bowling at that same time. We really loved the whole cruise and this particular tour was a highlight. Now I am just trying to figure out which person you were!

Rob

Regarding the White Pass Washout - I called them as we're going to be in Skagway next week and wanted to do 7+hour ride. They are estimating that the line will be reopened by the first week in July

Too late for me, but not too late to save the season for them....

Are you referring to the train to Fraser, BC or the train all the way to Carcross? I was under the impression that last week's cancellation of all trains due to the avalanche (or mudslide) affected only a day or two of train travel. If you were planning on the longer train to Carcross, as I was, you could change to an excursion that goes to Fraser by train and to Carcross and back by bus.

Judy, we must have been on the same Chilkoot tour as well. from your description we were. My daughter and wife were having so much fun with the dogs that they forgot to come back to the bus and I had to go get them! We missed the meet and greet unfortunately because we were with our daughter doing the bowling at that same time. We really loved the whole cruise and this particular tour was a highlight. Now I am just trying to figure out which person you were!

Rob

YES! we were on the same tour. I remember you going to get your wife and dd. James was a great tour guide and I feel so lucy to have been able to do the complete tour.

I loved the puppies and the dogs. everything was a highlight for us on this cruise I couldn't pick which tour was the best, the train and bear, the whales, or the eagles, they all tie for number one along with Glacier Bay and the calving we saw. All Amazing. Hope you had a great a time as we did. Our 4 days in Seattle was great also 4 nice sunny days. :D

Archived