Cunard Vs P&O for first time cruiser (sort of)

PaulaB2

I am thinking of doing a 24 day America/Canada cruise next year. The only time I did any cruising was as a small child with my parents. The choices are between the Aurura with P & O or Queen Mary 2 with Cunard. Can you give me the pros and cons of each ship and company?

I have done this cruise on Aurora and on QE2. I do think Cunard has the better "product". Based on QE2 (I haven't yet sailed on QM2) will have a more international menu, and a more international mix of passenger. The ship is much beigger than Aurora and sonsequently they will be more to do on sea days Aurora is a smaller ship, but a lovely one. The passengers will all be British and the food geared towards British tastes. Assuming the ports are similar, I would choose Cunard, but that is not to say I wouldn't happily sail again on Aurora.

I have some photos of both voyages here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40

Just a thought - are you sailing on your own? Cunard have gentlemen hosts to dance with on board, P&O rely on the Entertainment Officers, who are not always available.

Uhmmm - a tough choice between the two. Cruising is a brilliant holiday on your own. I did my first in 2003 on Caronia and haven't done any other kind of holiday since. I have met some great people, and even shared cabins with some of them since. Both lines are good with solo travellers. I have to say I find it easier on my own with a smaller ship, since it is easier to meet up with people and see them again. On the other hand having the hosts is a bonus. The single supplements might be your decider!

I did my my first P&0 cruise since 1981 in March on the Ventura after travelling exclusively with Cunard for many years. The main reason was the excellent single supplement and the intinery, Barbados to Southampton including eight sea days. I went thinking that I was going to hate it after Cunard but was pleasantly surprised at what a good time I had. I would definetly say the food is a notch up on Cunard but there was more going on with P&O. On the Ventura they had a singles party with complimentary drinks and they put me at a table of 8 with all singles and we had a blast. As a quiz lover I seemed to be runnig from one quiz to the next. In terms of that overall ship feeling Cunard wins. Though the Ventura is a lovely ship. Cunard is definetly more of an international experience while P&O is very British. I am booked on the QM2 in October and I am really looking forward to travelling on her. I have also booked the same cruise on the Ventura for next year. They are two different products but are both very good. If you want a more formal experience I would go for Cunard and for informal with P&O. Hope you have a great time with whichever ship you choose.

Paul

Hi Paul - seems a long time since QE2 :(

All the P&O ships have the solos meet and drinks, and I have always been seated on a whole table of solos, which is great. Much as I love Cunard, P&O do seem better at matching dining companions.

Hi Paul - seems a long time since QE2 :(

All the P&O ships have the solos meet and drinks, and I have always been seated on a whole table of solos, which is great. Much as I love Cunard, P&O do seem better at matching dining companions.

Hi there,

It does seem a long time that we were on the QE2 enjoying a drink in the Crystal Bar. It seems so sad that she is just sitting there all empty in Dubai.

I must say the cruise director on the Ventura really went out of his way to make sure that us sigles were having a good time.

I do think Cunard have to lower there single suplement for certain cruise because P&O certainly have them beat on that. I do love Cunard but I have to say P&O were a lot better than I thought they were going to be.

Anyway,have you got any cruise booked?

Paul.

Hi there,

I do think Cunard have to lower there single suplement for certain cruise because P&O certainly have them beat on that. I do love Cunard but I have to say P&O were a lot better than I thought they were going to be.

Anyway,have you got any cruise booked?

Paul.

Most (not all) of the SS are much better on P&O. I have my first voyage on QM2 in three weeks, then Arcadia in November for some winter sun (30% SS). Next year it's back to Artemis for the spring and I and two friends were lucky enough to get a cabin on the Queen Elizabeth maiden so that should keep me happy for a while:) If you liked Ventura (too big for me), it's worth trying the other P&O ships too.

Archived