Need help with rental car logistics

Hi! We are ending our cruise in Vancouver and will be staying for 4 days and then flying from YVR back to Colorado. Our cruise ends at Canada Place and we're staying at the Sutton Place hotel downtown. I would like advice on how best to handle our rental car. Right now I plan to pick it up from and return it to the airport. This means we will need transportation from Canada Place to YVR to get the car. Is there another plan that would make better sense? We will need the car the entire time. I really appreciate your help!! Thanks!

Hi! We are ending our cruise in Vancouver and will be staying for 4 days and then flying from YVR back to Colorado. Our cruise ends at Canada Place and we're staying at the Sutton Place hotel downtown. I would like advice on how best to handle our rental car. Right now I plan to pick it up from and return it to the airport. This means we will need transportation from Canada Place to YVR to get the car. Is there another plan that would make better sense? We will need the car the entire time. I really appreciate your help!! Thanks!

You can always take a taxi, but if you are budget minded the city bus is available. In 07 it was about $5. CDN one way to get to the airport from downtown.

Seems like there was one change to make, too, but I cannot recall clearly.

Have you checked to see if there is a drop-off fee if you pick it up downtown and return it to the airport?

Who are you renting from? All the major companies have downtown locations and most

have arrangements for pick-up at the cruise ship terminal. Going to the airport for

pickup means extra travel cost plus paying the extra airport fee (all airports charge the

rental compnies high rents so this is meant to cover these costs.) Check to see if there

is any extra fee to drop off at the airport if you pick up downtown. Some charge, some

don't. Even so, the charge might be less than the cost of a taxi to the airport.

Unless you've locked yourself into a reservation with a certain rental company, then I'd strongly suggest you look at more than one.

For example, Hertz has several locations in Vancouver, one on Granville St. which would be easiest to the Sutton Place Hotel. They also could arrange a meeting for you when you dock at Canada Place and drive you to their rental location.

They also have a location at Vancouver International just across from the main terminal. After your visit, you can turn your car in there and simply walk across to your airline check-in.

I'm just using Hertz as as example - there are others if you care to some searching.....

Archived