Roll Call:Uniworld River Royale. Burgundy and Provence 30/9/2009

irenen

• 2 months later...
Anyone coming with us on this river cruise?

Same cruise, different days, Going on the 7-15 Nov. 09 sailing. Looking forward to it big time.

Anyone done another one of the Uniworld Epicurean Adventurer cruises?

Thoughts?

Any other "last of the season" travelers out there?

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the August 30 - September 6 cruise on Uniworld's River Royale--from Chalon-sur-Saone to Arles. It far exceeded our high expectations. The ship is luxurious, the crew are fantastic, the food and wine were outstanding and delicious, and we could not have had a better time. The sights were magnificent--and we took all of the optional excursions, which I highly recommend. I had a slight allergy problem in my eye and the cruise director had a doctor on board to see me within an hour. (Fortunately this was in Lyon, a large city.) The doctor was great and prescribed some medication, which my husband obtained from a pharmacy. My husband learned a few French phrases before leaving, and that got him through on his own. (I speak a little French, which was helpful, but not necessary for the cruise.) I was not able to go to the ship restaurant for dinner one night due to my eye problem, so we asked for something to be sent to our room. The maitre d' insisted on serving us dinner in courses as they were being served in the restaurant (even though we made it clear that this was not necessary). He brought each course on white linen and laid it out for us in our cabin. He even brought us our own bottle of wine. This was above and beyond what we expected.

The cruise director, Emmanuelle, was fantastic, as was the rest of the cruise staff and crew.

My husband was very interested in the ship's operations and the 1st and 2nd captains shared much information with him and allowed him to observe some of the manuevers.

The other passengers were fun and interesting.

Anyone going on this cruise is in for a wonderful experience!

I am taking this cruise in April. We are flying from New York and would have to change planes in Paris for Lyon. I was thinking of flying roundtrip to Paris as we want to take the train back to Paris at the end and spend a few days. Did you fly into Lyon and take the transfer of did you take a train from Paris to Chalon.

We flew from Atlanta to Paris and spent a few days there before the trip. Then we took the train from Paris to Chalon-sur-Saone. (See my post about the train experience under Train station to Port Chalon Sur Saone.) We met the ship in Chalon and then flew home from Marseille. If you want to fly round trip to Paris, you could take the train from Gare de Lyon to Chalon. Or, you may want to fly directly to Lyon and then after the cruise take the train to Paris for a stay of a few days after the trip. I think there may be a cruise extension in Paris. You may want to check it out. Also, you may want to email Uniworld to get a recommendation. I emailed them about other matters before the trip, and they were very responsive. Regardless of what you do, I am sure you will have a wonderful trip!

• 1 month later...

Archived