Rockley - Accra beach - Bar Kan'ei?

surfclam2003

I think that's the bar that's on the opposite end of the beach from where the Chicken George shack is right? If so, that's the one where my friends and I visited when we were at Rockley Beach last week :) Our taxi guy brought us straight there and we got our beach chairs for free. The food and drinks were good. My bf and I had the fish and chips and the fish was so good! It was a very pleasant visit and no one bothers you. Nice and relaxing :) One thing to note is that the beach is kinda rocky in the water at that end so we would walk more towards Accra resort where there weren't as many rocks.

We were at the same place, but I didn't catch the name. Our taxi driver told us free chairs nice beach and shade for me and we said we are in. It had a nice restroom to change in as well. Had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Day 3 of our AOS cruise (7/18 - 7/26/09) stopped in Barbados. As"aplmac" highly recommended, we hired a taxi to Accra/Rockley Beach for the day. We were quoted $15 ROUNDTRIP per person, and the driver took us to the far left end (as you are facing the ocean) to the area in front of Bar K'Nei, which is the closest place near the yellow restaurant building on the rocks/cliff you see in aplmac's pictures. It was about a 15 minute drive and we arrived there at approximately 10:45am.

Accra-666.jpg

As our driver told us, the guy at Bar K'Nei gave us 4 chairs and 1 umbrella for free (we tipped of course). We loved Rockly beach! It is a wide, fairly long stretch of beach with crystal clear gorgeous water (I could see the wrinkles in my toes!) and beautful pink sand. When you scoop the sand up you can see the dark pink crystals in it, sooo pretty! Luckily we had calm waters and it was cool and refreshing on a very sunny day. To the far right (as you face the ocean) is the Accra Hotel. There are nearby food stands and chairs and umbrellas for rent in between Bar K'Nei and Accra. (Chicken George was closed on our day there :D!)

The water directly in front of us at Bar K'Nei was not the clearest, but it took a one minute walk to get to the clearest, most perfect water in front of the the food stands and Accra. Still, we had the best deal with less people, free chairs & umbrella, restroom & shower, covered open air restaurant/bar at Bar K'Nei--and it's all the same stretch of beach; just one or two minutes to walk across the whole stretch from Bar K'Nei to Accra. Bar K'Nei sold Banks Beer for $3 each. Our daughters shared a hearty 8 piece chicken tender type meal for $11. Mixed drinks were about $6 (all US). We had a beautiful relaxing day there and everyone we encountered in Barbados was extremely nice. One tip: make sure you have plenty of small US one dollar bills for Barbados and other caribbean islands as they sometimes want to give you change in their own currency.

I will say that when the ship is docked in Barbados, your first impression is not thrilling. The pier in Barbados is more industrial warehouse looking. Barbados is more flat with rising land towards the background, as seen from the ship. We only went to Rockley, so I cannot say for sure what other areas of the island are like. As compared to some other islands, downtown Bridgetown isn't very pretty, but it's very quaint, and there were definitely alot of tourists walking around shopping for their bargains. Talking with folks back on the ship we heard great comments about the beach at Boatyard, Payne's beach and swimming with the turtles, and another great review from a family who toured the island and said it was beautiful on the east side. We wanted a simple beach day at a beautiful beach, and Rockley/Accra Beach definitely satisfied us. There seems to be alot to explore in Barbados, and the people are certainly friendly enough to make you want to come back for more!

Anyone know-- was it easy to get a taxi back? What time did the bar open? Were the drinks expensive? Thanks!!

If you tell your taxi driver what time you'd like to be picked up, he will return to get you. We found this to be pretty common on all the islands. We saw our driver in Barbados about 30 minutes before we needed him and he gladly waited for us. Same thing in Antigua. If you decide you want to leave earlier, there are taxi drivers sitting in the Accra/Rockley beach parking lot that can take you back.

Hubby paid for the drinks...I don't remember how much they were.

If you tell your taxi driver what time you'd like to be picked up, he will return to get you. We found this to be pretty common on all the islands. We saw our driver in Barbados about 30 minutes before we needed him and he gladly waited for us. Same thing in Antigua. If you decide you want to leave earlier, there are taxi drivers sitting in the Accra/Rockley beach parking lot that can take you back.

Hubby paid for the drinks...I don't remember how much they were.

Thanks. I am ready to go--wish my cruise wasn't still so far away.

Archived