How to manage with less luggage on Cruise?

justkath

We are going on the Aug 1, 10 day cruise on the Eurodam out of Copenhagen. Then we are flying to London for another 8 days, when the cruise is over. Here is our problem. We are told that on our flight to London (it is considered an inter European flight) from Copenhagen we can only have ONE 40 lb piece of luggage each, not counting carry-ons. I can't figure how to pack for a ten day cruise with two formal nights with only one 40 lb piece of luggage for myself. Is there a way to send back our other bags, before we fly on to London, and not break the bank?. If we take all four of our bags that we would have taken on the cruise, it could cost more than $400 just for the bags! This seems outrageous, but it is true.

So what do others who have this problem do?

We are going on the Aug 1, 10 day cruise on the Eurodam out of Copenhagen. Then we are flying to London for another 8 days, when the cruise is over. Here is our problem. We are told that on our flight to London (it is considered an inter European flight) from Copenhagen we can only have ONE 40 lb piece of luggage each, not counting carry-ons. I can't figure how to pack for a ten day cruise with two formal nights with only one 40 lb piece of luggage for myself. Is there a way to send back our other bags, before we fly on to London, and not break the bank?. If we take all four of our bags that we would have taken on the cruise, it could cost more than $400 just for the bags! This seems outrageous, but it is true.

So what do others who have this problem do?

What airline are you using?

Use the onboard laundry service and take lightweight "squishable" fabrics, i.e., jersey, pants made for hiking (light and durable), convertible pants (where the bottoms zip off to become shorts), and stick with one basic color and one accent color. I was able to fit my Alaska cruise clothing into a carry-on (including formal wear and 2 fleecies).

Use the onboard laundry service and take lightweight "squishable" fabrics, i.e., jersey, pants made for hiking (light and durable), convertible pants (where the bottoms zip off to become shorts), and stick with one basic color and one accent color. I was able to fit my Alaska cruise clothing into a carry-on (including formal wear and 2 fleecies).

Ditto that. We cruise now with just carry-ons. Even on 2 week European cruises. We stick to 3 basic colors and, as CowPrincess said, "squishable" clothing. My formal dresses are squishable, non-wrinkle, black dresses. DH brings one suit. He just changes the ties. Over time I've cut the amount of stuff we bring by more than 50% and remarkably we don't miss any of it! Good Luck.......

40 pounds is actually quite alot. If you know how to pack and use laundry services you should be able to travel with a roll-aboard bag and small tote for any trip whether it's 1 week or 4. As suggested above, stick with a limited color scheme, avoid bulky sweaters and heavy fabrics, don't carry your own hair dryer and hot curlers (!), don't buy many/any souvenirs, streamline the makeup and toiletries since you can always buy toiletries at your destination and leave them behind if necessary, and really re-think what is necessary to bring. Take one pair of dressy pants that can be dressed up for smart casual night or formal night with just 3 or 4 different tops. Be smart about the the number of pairs of shoes - that's the most challenging for me but I usually travel in one pair, take one pair of dressy shoes that can work for smart casual and formal night and sometimes I'll take my sneakers for working out depending on how much walking I'm planning to do. Traveling light frees you up in case you're running late to catch a flight and you've missed the cut-off for checking luggage. You also don't have to worry about lost luggage and you can leave the airport immediately rather than waiting around a luggage carousel. I haven't checked a bag in at least 20 years and I've never missed having my "stuff" and sometimes I still come home having not worn some of the clothes packed. But then, I don't bother shopping when I travel either - I'd rather go to museums and cultural events than shop.

It sounds like you'll be taking a really nice trip - I wouldn't let the formal nights dictate how much luggage you take. Take dressy enough clothes to get by and just plan to re-wear and get some laundry done.

Another brief tip... wear your heaviest clothing and layer on the flight. I always wear a t-shirt, a sweater or sweatshirt and my coat/rain jacket as well as my heaviest pair of shoes (usually running shoes). You can always remove the jacket and sweater on the plane, but they won't be included in the weight of your luggage. I also put the heaviest items (books and shoes) in my carryon since they don't normally weigh it.

I personally love formal nights in the diningroom and would not give that up to save on luggage weight. I have found a couple of really lightweight outfits that I can take to wear on formal nights... no heavy beads or knits.

You can do it :cool:

First off, use the unlimited laundry option onboard! If your heart is set on going to the formal nights, consider renting your formalwear. You have to make an advance reservation but it could be an option. Regarding London, ask at your hotel's front desk for a laundry...not the hotel laundry but an independent one. I've done that many times for a reasonable charge, of around $15-20 per large bag. Not as nice as the HAL laundry (highly recommended from experience), but it will suffice. Safe & fun travels!

Just another idea...

If you do not have the same weight restrictions on your international and more pricey flight and the inter-European flight is relatively inexpensive consider booking yourself an additional seat. This will give you added room during your flight and increase your checked luggage by one as well as another additional carry-on piece. This is assuming you really want or feel you need those additional clothes or want room for any shopping you may do.

Having just come back from the Med with a stop in London before my return home I understand exactly what you are going through. I did check in London about the cost of shipping a 15 kg suitcase home. As it turns out Fed-Ex was cheaper than sending the bag parcel post with an arrival time of 4-5 days as opposed to 45 days. Cost 110 British pounds. You might want to check out the cost for shipping from your disembarkation port but keep in mind you will need time to get your package there if this is your travel day.

I do agree with the above posters that less is definately do-able. I managed 45 days with one suitcase, a carry-on and one very big purse. ;)

Hope you have a great holiday.

Rochelle

Here's inspiration for you, someone just posted about doing a 20 day european vacation with just a carry on.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997927

My bag weighed 42 pounds last year at the end of our med. trip and I'd bought a leather coat in Greece that was in my suitcase. It can be done!! you just have to be willing to use the laundry. For formal I took black pants and sparkly top. Got tons of wear out of the black pants. Find one pair of "dress shoes" that goes with most outfits.

Most rollers suitcases weight around 4 or 5 kg. I bought one of those huge duffel bags on wheels which only weights 2.3 kg. As for clothes, wear everything twice and wear/carry coats and jackets on the flight.

Oh - toiletries. They weight quite a bit so either buy them when you arrive or get those little travelling sizes.

1 pr heels for dining room

1 pr crocs for beach and deck days

1 pr sneakers for excursions/running/working out

1 thin knit evening dress for formal night 1

1 thin shawl or printed scarf to wrap around evening dress for second formal night

1 pair black crepe pants

3 blouses/tops for dinner nights 3 & 4--no one looks at your pants at dinner!

1 business casual skirt or pants and blouse/top for first night on board--everyone dresses casual the first night, and you wear these to board the ship

repeat business casual for last night--change blouse or top or dressy t

two swimsuits

two coverups

lingerie, inc 2 pr socks if you use them with sneakers--wash them and dry overnight

toiletries, makeup, medications

hair supplies

HAT WITH A BROAD BRIM

you can fit all of this is a carryon or 24' suitcase, and be well within your weight limit

AND, you can exit the ship whenever you like, because you don't have to have your luggage collected the night prior!

Most rollers suitcases weight around 4 or 5 kg. I bought one of those huge duffel bags on wheels which only weights 2.3 kg. As for clothes, wear everything twice and wear/carry coats and jackets on the flight.

Oh - toiletries. They weight quite a bit so either buy them when you arrive or get those little travelling sizes.

Now that is way to heavy of a bag. I bought a Heys Flyright and it's less than 5 lbs. Love it!!!

You might consider paying the charge for another suitcase. We are on the same cruise as you and are staying aboard for another 16 days when you leave for a total of 26 days. We are allowed two suitcases each and if I find that is not enough we will pay for another case. We have to have some heavier clothing and jackets for sea days in the North Atlantic and for visits to Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland.

We learned on our last 65 day cruise to ship excess luggage home via UPS or Federal Express. The cost is a little bit more than the airlines $100 per 28" bag vs. $80 for the airline. I think smaller bags are approximately $75 which is equal to or less than the airline.

It sounds like the places that you will be debarking will have many of the UPS or FedEX locations.

Once you kiss your luggage goodbye, you won't see it again until you reach home and it is sitting on your front door.

We pack a foldable wool bag that we pack in our luggage and use if we purchased too many souviners. We re-arrange our carry-ons and put our backpack, purse, etc into the wool bag.

We find that it is NOT the clothes which take up the space in our luggage, it's the "stuff". We pack a pop up laundry hamper, over the door shoe rack, travel alarm, bag of toiletries and drugs (anti-diahria, antibiotics, first aid stuff, bandaids, sinus medication, etc.), computer and gear, camera and gear, electric strip, air freshner, spray antibacterial for pillows and bathroom surfaces when we arrive. You get the idea. It is not the clothes, but the "Stuff".

Thanks everyone for all the packing tips..I guess where there is a will there is a way!. "Sapper1" you mentioned you are going to be on our our trip Aug 1, 2009 on the Eurodam. We are looking for people to share tours in Berlin and St Petersburg, We are NOT using the ships tours. We will either use Denrus or Red October. We'd like to book a private tour with 6-8 people. Are you interested? I am fine with you emailing me directly at justgazin@juno.com. If you know others that will be on the Eurodam when we are, they are welcome too.

Thanks again!

40 pounds is actually quite alot. If you know how to pack and use laundry services you should be able to travel with a roll-aboard bag and small tote for any trip whether it's 1 week or 4. As suggested above, stick with a limited color scheme, avoid bulky sweaters and heavy fabrics, don't carry your own hair dryer and hot curlers (!), don't buy many/any souvenirs, streamline the makeup and toiletries since you can always buy toiletries at your destination and leave them behind if necessary, and really re-think what is necessary to bring. Take one pair of dressy pants that can be dressed up for smart casual night or formal night with just 3 or 4 different tops. Be smart about the the number of pairs of shoes - that's the most challenging for me but I usually travel in one pair, take one pair of dressy shoes that can work for smart casual and formal night and sometimes I'll take my sneakers for working out depending on how much walking I'm planning to do. Traveling light frees you up in case you're running late to catch a flight and you've missed the cut-off for checking luggage. You also don't have to worry about lost luggage and you can leave the airport immediately rather than waiting around a luggage carousel. I haven't checked a bag in at least 20 years and I've never missed having my "stuff" and sometimes I still come home having not worn some of the clothes packed. But then, I don't bother shopping when I travel either - I'd rather go to museums and cultural events than shop.

It sounds like you'll be taking a really nice trip - I wouldn't let the formal nights dictate how much luggage you take. Take dressy enough clothes to get by and just plan to re-wear and get some laundry done.

You have not traveled with my wife.:D

Thanks everyone for all the packing tips..I guess where there is a will there is a way!. "Sapper1" you mentioned you are going to be on our our trip Aug 1, 2009 on the Eurodam. We are looking for people to share tours in Berlin and St Petersburg, We are NOT using the ships tours. We will either use Denrus or Red October. We'd like to book a private tour with 6-8 people. Are you interested? I am fine with you emailing me directly at justgazin@juno.com. If you know others that will be on the Eurodam when we are, they are welcome too.

Thanks again!

Hi justkath---in case you haven't seen it yet I answered you on your roll call message-----just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you so I made this post.

Ditto that. We cruise now with just carry-ons. Even on 2 week European cruises. We stick to 3 basic colors and, as CowPrincess said, "squishable" clothing. My formal dresses are squishable, non-wrinkle, black dresses. DH brings one suit. He just changes the ties. Over time I've cut the amount of stuff we bring by more than 50% and remarkably we don't miss any of it! Good Luck.......

By "carry-on" do you mean the legal size allowed by an airline or just a size that you can comfortably handle by yourself. We often fly for a week to ten days with an airline carry-on. My husband wouldn't have room for anything else if he had his suit, shirt and dress shoes.

I love the idea of travelling light. Absolutely no way I would rent clothes to be able to do this. Not that you suggested that, just commenting.

I can't figure how to pack for a ten day cruise with two formal nights with only one 40 lb piece of luggage for myself.

If you really want to do formal on the ship, my suggestion would be to rent formalwear from HAL instead of dragging it along. Alternatively, you can see if you can pick up a nice formal dress or two at a local thrift shop, wear it on the cruise, and then just leave it onboard the ship so that you don't have to lug it around Europe.

The other option is my favorite ... just dispense with the formalwear altogether. Make casual the order of the day and simply eat in the Lido on formal nights.

As for keeping within your allowable luggage limits, bring along lots of easy wash 'n wear stuff, and wash it out in the sink of your cabin, or if you don't mind spending a few dollars, send your stuff out to the laundry on a regular basis. This way you'll have almost a full suitcase of clean clothes when you disembark the ship for the land portion of your vacation.

Believe me, as the airlines get tougher and tougher about luggage limits, you're gonna find a lot of people MAKING their stuff confirm to the weight limit, even if that means leaving a lot of stuff at home. Believe me, it's no big disaster to wear the same outfit two days, nor to go casual around the ship on a formal night.

Blue skies and have a great vacation!

--rita

By "carry-on" do you mean the legal size allowed by an airline or just a size that you can comfortably handle by yourself. We often fly for a week to ten days with an airline carry-on. My husband wouldn't have room for anything else if he had his suit, shirt and dress shoes.

I love the idea of travelling light. Absolutely no way I would rent clothes to be able to do this. Not that you suggested that, just commenting.

Yes. One of our 21 inch wheel-ons has a suit compartment in the lid. It's a piece of Atlantic luggage that we bought at Macy's about 8 years ago. I fold the jacket with tissue and it works like a charm. My dresses fits in there too..... We generally bring 2 of the 21 inch wheel-ons and two smaller duffel type bags. Everything fits. Nothing wrinkles! (I use tissue paper to fold EVERYTHING!) I put all/most of the socks/undies under the lining of the suitcase between the metal bars then I use Eagle Creek pack-it folders for shirts/blouses on top of that. Each holds 8-10 tops. Pants are on top of that; I leave the legs hanging out, put soft rolled clothing (t-shirts etc) where the crease would be, then fold the legs over into the case. I put the ties between an unfolded shirt box and that goes on top of everything else. My shoes are usually tucked into the suitcases and DH's shoes are in one of the small duffel's along with make-up, meds, paperwork and my small handbag.

It takes practice but we do it all the time now. Matter of fact I'm packing today. We leave Sunday for Alaska. DH isn't bringing a suit because I have to pack our coats in the bags so he'll wear a sport coat on the plane. Not quite formal but it'll do..........

I know I'm forgetting "something" but it's 5:30am and I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet! Happy travels!

Archived