MR BARBADOS, help with turtles question

to.travel

Thanks for your reply on the turtle question.

I have 2 young kids who only want to snorkel form a beach and they want to see turtles

Our ship will be in Barbados from 7am dec 26th and leave 12 noon dec 27th.

You mentioned "between May and late October they nest in the St. Lawrence gap area of our southwest coast". Where is the best location to see them for the days I am in port (dec 26 and 27)?

I read some other post and they also recommended "if u end up just deciding to find a beach to snorkel, try folkstone park....the beach there is small and not exactly the prettiest, but the snorkeling is very good....saw a couple sea turtles and a good mix of fish and coral....not all that far from the port either". Between the folkstone park or Lone star restaurant, is one better than the other?

Since I have quite a bit of time. I was thinking of taking the public bus to get to the above recommended places. This will also give the kids some local flavour. Does the bus have any special holiday schedule on Dec 26 and 27. Can you give me some details in riding the bus for your recommendations.

Thanks again for your time!!

Thanks for your reply on the turtle question.

I have 2 young kids who only want to snorkel form a beach and they want to see turtles

Our ship will be in Barbados from 7am dec 26th and leave 12 noon dec 27th.

You mentioned "between May and late October they nest in the St. Lawrence gap area of our southwest coast". Where is the best location to see them for the days I am in port (dec 26 and 27)?

I read some other post and they also recommended "if u end up just deciding to find a beach to snorkel, try folkstone park....the beach there is small and not exactly the prettiest, but the snorkeling is very good....saw a couple sea turtles and a good mix of fish and coral....not all that far from the port either". Between the folkstone park or Lone star restaurant, is one better than the other?

Since I have quite a bit of time. I was thinking of taking the public bus to get to the above recommended places. This will also give the kids some local flavour. Does the bus have any special holiday schedule on Dec 26 and 27. Can you give me some details in riding the bus for your recommendations.

Thanks again for your time!!

First, please look at the areas in the map below marked with *. These are the turtle nesting areas on the island.

Hawksbill Turtle nesting areas, Barbados

hawksbill-nesting.jpg

As you can see, it’s quite large.

The people that oversee the turtle management on the island man these areas during the summer watching for turtles. They start at about 8PM and walk the beaches until 4AM. Sometimes they see no turtles coming ashore to nest, sometimes 10. The average is about 3 during 8 hours. And they know where to look!

Your chances are slim even if you stayed up all night walking any of these beaches.

As far as Folkstone vs. Lonestar, it’s a push. You might be lucky at either place on any given day. I think your chances would be somewhat better, however, a little north of Folkstone, but that’s just a hunch on my part.

The buses are running at full after Christmas, but I would just take the shuttle for US$1.00/ea and ride up to perhaps Lonestar and see what’s going on. If nothing, grab another shuttle south and try Folkstone.

To reach the busses/shuttles, walk a long block east from the terminal to Spring Garden Hwy and pick a bus or shuttle going north (may be marked Speightstown, or out-of-town).

The only real sure-fire way to see the turtles is by going out to their feeding area on a watercraft. Even then, it’s only about a 75% probability.

Another option would be to take the bus or shuttle south to the St Lawrence Gap area (the spot with the most *’s on the above map) and swim a little and ask questions: “Have you seen any turtles nesting at night here?” If you get some positive responses, go back in the evening for a walk-around.

I wish that I could say “Go to this spot on 12/26 at noon and you’ll see plenty of them”. But I can’t. Nobody can. You just have to ask around, ride the shuttle, try out a few places and ask some more.

If you make it a discovery-adventure, it’ll be fun for the boys even if they don’t see any turtles.

Again, my best wishes that you are successful and have a great time! :)

hello everyone, i am a barbadian national and i can say that to find a turtle near to shore is a heck of a gamble. but they can be seen if you are lucky. In my opinion i would recommend you use one of the many tours that do turtle snorkelling as this way it will be easier and you mentioned you have children, there is one site where the boats go and it is quite a distance the turtles are found offshore. its a long swim for a good swimmer.

As for the bus system on the days you mentioned it might be a bit crowded and hard to get a bus on those days but it is possible. I would recommend you just be safe and use a taxi who can pick you up at a set time. if you look around you will see there are quite a few tour companies that do turtle tours or you can just use the ship tour. I know this is a great tour as i have friends who work with that company. anyways i would like to wish you a pleasant cruise and a Merry Xmas.

Rich....

Archived