Review and Photos of Denali May 18-19 and Carnival Spirit Cruise SB, May 20-27, 2009

bimmermom

Hi, BoatCat and thanks a bunch! These shots were taken with a Nikon D60. I had 2 lenses -- the regular 18-55mm VR that came with the camera and I bought a 75-300mm VR Nikon zoom just for this trip. I'm still learning how to use it!

I forgot to mention that a snack lunch was served shortly after we boarded. It wasn't particularly good, but it really wasn't bad either. Just some kind of luke-warm cod plus slaw and chips and a soft drink. You could buy other food like nachos or alcoholic beverages at the bar. Also, hot coffee, hot chocolate and hot tea were free and available at stations located on each deck. There are TV screens located around the boat that show films about the tour and also maps of the tour route.

BigGlacier.jpg

CutieSeaLion.jpg

SoundMirror.jpg

Glacier1.jpg

GlacierBlue.jpg

SeaLions.jpg

As we headed back to Whittier, we took a pass close to a bird rookery - home to thousands of Kittiwakes - just across the channel from the town. The birds were everywhere and their nests covered the steep cliffs. With a backdrop of mountains and waterfalls, the sight was spectacular.

It was about 5:30 when the Philips 26 Glacier Klondike Express delivered us back to the dock. It had been a fantastic excursion and I was wondering how any of our upcoming excursions could possibly come close to this one. We were going to find out in the next few days. For now, we had only to walk next door to board our future home for the next 7 days -- the gorgeous Carnival Spirit! More photos tomorrow. Thanks for sticking with me.

BirdRookery.jpg

OMG! I just stumbled upon this thread and your review when I hit a wrong button. Lucky me as we will be doing this cruise in July. Also, we have friends who were on this same cruise as you. Ironic. Anyway, I love taking pictures but I am totally in awe of yours. We are leaving tomorrow for Florida and a Disney cruise this coming week, but I will be back to read the remainder of your review when we return. Thanks so much for posting.

Thanks for the kudos, Europebound and Kcarp. I'm having fun reliving the cruise all over again and am glad I am writing out the details while they are still fresh in my mind. My memory isn't quite what is used to be :rolleyes:, so I will be happy to have this narrative someday...

I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing Disney cruise this week. Say hello to Mickey!

Hey, WooWoo!

You can drive your private vehicle up to Mile 15 (Savage River) at any time. So, yes, you can always get to the Denali Kennels which are close to the Welcome Center and which have their own parking lot.

Back in February, I asked the same question you just asked me of the Denali park rangers at denali_info@nps.gov. Here was the response I got:

"Thanks for your email. The kennels are open daily from 8 am - 5 pm, so you're welcome to visit any time in that window. If you'd prefer to attend our daily demonstration, where a ranger talks about the history and purpose of the dogs, and harnesses five or six to do a demonstration run, you'll want to come by the visitor center at 1 pm to board the Sled Dog Demonstration bus (free, no reservations required). They'll take you to the kennels, where you'll have time to take pictures and pet dogs until 2 pm, when the program begins. We have folks begin at the visitor center, rather than the kennels, because of how small the parking lot is near the kennels - but if you're going on your own time, and not around the 2 pm demo, feel free to use the parking lot nearby."

All the best,

Alex Lindeman

US Park Ranger

Denali National Park and Preserve

These folks are so helpful! Just email them directly if you need further instructions.

Thank you for the quick answer. That is wonderful news. I can't wait to read the rest of your review and see more pictures. All your pictures are breath taking!

Love the pictures!! Thanks for sharing such a great trip report. We leave Sat for Vancouver and then Mon for our cruise. I am even more excited as I read your trip report. I only hope to get as nice as weather as you had for such beautiful glacier and mountain pictures.

Your review is just fantastic!! All the wonderful little details those of us who are waiting for our ships to sail are just loving!! And your pictures are awesome, totally!! Are you doing any post processing on them at all? Anxiously await your next posting....we will be NB on the Spirit in 6 days.

Hi, krennen!

Dang, I wish I could get everything posted before you leave Saturday... FYI, we spent our last vacation day taking a tour of Vancouver. If you have time there, you might want to go out to Capilano Suspension Bridge. It is truly beautiful and provides some awesome sights and hiking. There are also totem poles and wooden tree houses. Kinda reminds you of Swiss Family Robinson.

Also, if the weather is nice, be certain to take the tram up Grouse Mountain. That is a breathtaking sight, with Vancouver sprawled far below. You will see the harbor with all the ships and water taxis plus the mountains of Vancouver Island behind the city.

Up on Grouse mountain there is also a lumberjack show (a watered down but very cute version of the same one in Ketchikan) and 2 huge Grizzly Bears in a natural habitat enclosure. Also take in the Bird Show which is really cool and informative and features a cute owl, an eagle, vulture hawk and more. Plus, we didn't do this, but you can zipline up there as well as take helicopter rides. We were taking this tour with LandSea Tours of Vancouver, as recommended by Putterdude and others. Loved it! They also give tours of other parts of the city.

I hope you have a wonderful time and sunny days on your cruise - wish I could go back with you!

Thanks, krogerlady! I'll be posting more tomorrow as I can. This is just a quickie answer your question. I don't do a lot of post processing to the photos, other than some occasional cropping and some infrequent sharpening if the picture is out of focus but I really want to keep it. And I sometimes use Photoshop's auto contrast feature. Other than that I try not to edit them much because I'm not very good at it :). I find that 99% of the time I like them just as they are and I would only be messing them up by trying to post process them.

Oh, I can't wait to hear what you think of this beautiful place in the world. You are going to love it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the current warm and dry weather pattern will hang in there for you.:D

Hey, Terry! So how are you and Carl? We talk about ya'll a lot and how much fun we had on this cruise. Without you, we would never have all become friends. And, yeah, we'd love to join you in January... I'll work on Jim :) I'll be e-mailing you some photos of our group when I get to the fun and good-looking part of my pics LOL. TTYL

we leave for Vancouver next Tuesday and on the Spirit on Wed - we are so excited, then to see your pictures and hear about your trip. Can you tell me what you thought of the Spirit, anything we shouldn't miss, or any highlights? thanks so much for a wonderful review.

Wow, what a fantastic review so far. I can't wait to read the rest! In fact...DH and I are planning a slightly-belated 5-year wedding anniversary cruise, and I had been dead set on the Caribbean...but seeing your pictures reminded me of just how much I LOVE Alaska (we went there on our honeymoon), and we may just have to check out the Spirit cruises next May instead!

Archived